Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 10 speed derailleur + 9 speed cassette & shifter?
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

As per the title, will it work? Need to get a new rear mech and everything is 9 speed at the moment…figure it’ll make the switch to 10 speed a little less expensive if I go in that direction.

What is the actual difference in the mech’s themselves? I didn’t think rear derailleurs had a number of speeds as such, but I could well be talking out of my posterior.

Ta,

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, different cable pull. It’s akin to running a SRAM mech with Shimano shifters.

boxelder

It’ll be fine
    Or so I assume ’til I saw the above.
    I went 9-10 speed on my cx bike using the same rear mech – are you sure??

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

50/50…interesting…keep ’em coming folks!

wwaswas

well, that’s sorted then.

I must confess I thought cable pull was dictated by the shifter not the mech?

richmtb

I my also be talking out my arse, but I reckon that their maybe a difference in the cable pull ratios between 9 and 10 speed

oblique
    Free Member

MTB 10 and 9 speed use different ratios
    Road 10 and 9 speed kit use the same ratio.

This is not from experiance but what i have been told.

sssimon
    Free Member

Road 9 and 10 are interchangable, MTB 9 and 10 aren’t

Shimano have used 2:1 ratio on all mechs since moses was a pup, now they’ve decided it’s been far to easy and to make it interesting 10 speed MTB mechs run a cable pull that varies from 1.8 to 1 to 1.9 to 1 from the bottom to the top of the block.

I must confess I thought cable pull was dictated by the shifter not the mech?

it’s both, the two have to use the same amount of cable per gear change

wwaswas

the pull ratio is irrelevant for a mech – all that matters is ‘will a 9 speed chain fit through a 10 speed mech without bashing anything?’

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The mech only moves as much as the shifter tells it to, so as wwaswas says, as long as the (fatter) 9spd chain fits through the mech, it will work.

oblique
    Free Member

www, how will the shifting work if you replace a mech that moves 2mm for every 1mm of cable pulled to a mech that moves 1.8mm for every 1mm cable that is pulled?

I think that the ratio is important but that is just me.

wwaswas

can I bow out now until MisterP turns up?

I’ve not done this so it’s all ‘opinion’ from me.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Hobnob and wwaswas- not the case. What Sssimon says is correct, the new rear mechs have a different leverage so for the same amount of cable pull a 10 speed mech will move less than an old 9 speed one. Just like a Sram rear mech and a shimano shifter- you click the shifter and it’ll move a different distance to a shimano mech with the same shifter.

This is from experience and what Big Al at Shimano has told us in the shop.

I have a 9speed mech and a 10 speed shifter and have to use a pulley to alter the amount of cable pulled for it to work.

wwaswas

what they said then 🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

A consensus is reached…thank you STW Massive, worth your weight in Myrrh!

Trundles off to CRC…

njee20
    Free Member

I really don’t get why so many people are struggling with this. Everyone gets that you can’t mix SRAM/Shimano mechs, this is exactly the same. There are now 4 cable pull ratios:

– Shimano 9 speed and 10 speed road excluding Dura Ace 7900, Ultegra 6700 and 105 5700
    – Shimano 10 speed MTB and road groupsets as above
    – SRAM 9 speed
    – SRAM 10 speed road and MTB

Rear mech and shifter must match, there will inevitably be bodges to get it half working, but basically avoid mixing and matching!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

wait for monthy pythonesque telling….
    shifters work by cable pulling rear mech right?…yes.
    mechs dont have special brains they do what the shifter tells them too right?…goood.
    the only difference is spacing and leverage ratio’s of mech but put remains different for the shifter…..we all follow? good class.
    now people will stop talking about rear mechs with inconsistant cable pull.good.leverage yes.pull is constant but different shifter means less pull needed for the 10 cogs.
    so it will work.
    ok
    Bruce hope it helps

dobo
    Free Member

nothing happened here, move along

njee20
    Free Member

Oops, yes, yes it should, and now is, so we can pretend that never happened!

Bruce that’s just confusing, it won’t work properly, and I’ve no idea if you’re saying that or not!

bassspine
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put it past Shimano to use a specially curved ramp on a derailleur to mean that a variable pull from the shifter was required to make it work properly. Say, like the one on the new 10 speed mtb ones…

bikerbruce
    Free Member

it will work is what i mean…cause the cable is pulled by the shifter thats all that changes,i dont why youd want 10spd mech with 9 speed stuff

njee20
    Free Member

IT WONT WORK PROPERLY

YOU CANT USE A SRAM MECH WITH SHIMANO SHIFTERS AND YOU CANT USE A 10 SPEED MECH WITH 9 SPEED SHIFTERS.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

IT WONT WORK PROPERLY

YOU CANT USE A SRAM MECH WITH SHIMANO SHIFTERS AND YOU CANT USE A 10 SPEED MECH WITH 9 SPEED SHIFTERS.

He’s right. Really he is. Please let the people who fit this for a living tell you this is so.

Teapot
    Free Member

Almost there, it won’t work. Njee20 is right (except all Shimano road 10 speed is the same rear cable pull, it’s the front that is different on 7900, 6700 and 5700).

Just to reconfirm, you can’t mix Shimano 9 and 10 speed rear mechs and shifters.

njee20
    Free Member

Are you sure Teapot? I was fairly confident both were different on 7900 etc.

Edit: from this Cycling News article on 7900.

Shift quality looks to be of paramount importance as usual and Shimano has made the bold decision to increase the cable pull on the new 7900 group. Much like SRAM and Campagnolo, this means that the new drivetrain should be far more tolerant of housing contamination, slight maladjustments and hanger dimension variances than before but this also means that the new shifters and rear derailleur won’t be compatible with any other 10-speed Shimano components for now.

Teapot
    Free Member

Yep, you can run a new generation road rear mech on older shifters and vice versa. The things that are different are the front mech pull due to the wider chainring spacing and the brake cable pull.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you on that, but fair enough!

dobo
    Free Member

i think what we have here is that shimano says NO but real world experience says YES
    i’m gona sit on the fence as i run campagnolo shifters and 9 speed shimano cassette with a shiftmate!

Teapot
    Free Member

That’s a very old article way before 7900 was launched. It’s all in the front mech and brakes, trust me! I sit very close to Mister P!

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, good to know, thanks!

i think what we have here is that shimano says NO but real world experience says YES
    i’m gona sit on the fence as i run campagnolo shifters and 9 speed shimano cassette with a shiftmate!

That’s only cross compatibility within 10 speed road stuff, 9 and 10 speed MTB stuff still isn’t interchangeable without some serious bodging!

Teapot
    Free Member

My pleasure.

(mental note to check spec charts tomorrow)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Real world experience says no.

dobo
    Free Member

you lot really need to pull together an stw wiki page with a groupset matrix with compatibility charts
    now go and do your homework 😉

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

It won’t work.
    If you express the ratio as mm of cable moved at the mech, 9sp @2:1 is 2×9= 18mm, 10sp @1.9:1 is 1.9×10= 19mm.
    If 10sp shifted @1.8:1 (1.8×10= 18mm) the mech wouldn’t have to be changed.
    If the leverage ratio varies as claimed, a 9sp chain wouldn’t work on 10sp cassettes because the sprocket spacing will narrow for the lower gears.
    But I run 9sp chains on several 10sp equipped bikes because the wear rate on the 10sp OE chains is so poor (6 weeks, and there was an audible rumble from the drivetrain) and 10sp chains were difficult to obtain at the time, so I tried a PC951 they work perfectly.

I’m going to try a 10sp mech on a 9sp shifter out of curiosity now, just for the hell of it.
    I’ll post back tomorrow once I’ve tried it.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

this is why i didnt get my a level grades….i misread the effing thing sorry guys,nicks right..

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘10 speed derailleur + 9 speed cassette & shifter?’ is closed to new replies.