Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 100 vs. 120mm fork on an Anthem X
  • legend
    Free Member

So, I’m happily building my new frame, start taking the Reba SL I was sold apart in order to remove the spacer and turn it from 100mm to 120mm. Things start going very wrong when I get in and there is no f*****g spacer there!

Measured the exposed leg and there’s only 110mm (100psi in the +ve and 0psi in the -ve chambers to make sure), so no chance that it’s already on 120mm travel mode.

I was assured from the seller of the fork (on this site) that it was a 100-120mm model – so I’m a tad p*ssed off right now.

Is it worth my while starting to kick up about the fork? Or will an Anthem run nicely with 100mm? Most people appear to favour 120, so I’d be interested to here the other side of the arguement.

Probably worth bearing in mind that my other two bikes have 67 and 64 degree headangles, so this will seem steep anyway.

Cheers,
    Mark

glenp
    Free Member

It might be steep on paper, but there again that is exactly how it was designed. All of the other dimensions are correct to make it sweet steering with the fork it is designed for.

The slack thing has got so prevalent that you might imagine bikes are just unrideable with normal geometry! Why not just put it together and enjoy a bike that flicks and steers on a thought, rather than having to haul it about?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I bought mine stock, and still run it with 100mm Fox Forks. I’ve never tried 120mm forks in it, but it handles fine for me with 100mm forks. I’m sure Giant agree since that is how they designed it.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s designed as a cross country racer with 100mm forks. I only put 120s on as I wanted a lightweight all day bike and fancied more travel.

Tried it with 100mm on the demo day and loved it, but as I was used to 120s I put them on when I got the frame.

Basically I’d say it comes down to what you’re wanting to do with the bike but it’s not going to be an enormous difference either way.

Stu.

vrapan
    Free Member

Personally I still have a Recon u-turn on mine and it stays at 120mm most of the time. At 120mm it does not loose much of its character but does become a lot more capable. I do prefer it at 120 so I am in the process of purchasing a 120mm Reba SL (second hand from this site as well but it is sold as already being 120mm) – if paypal gets out of its bottom that is.

Having said that it was designed for 100mm fork, it is sold as a 100mm bike so 100mm fork works just brilliant on it.

frogstomp

Have run my X with the Reba set to both 100 and 120mm.. handles great either way. The former setup feels more ‘racey’ and climbs superbly, whilst the latter (along with a shorter stem) made it feel a bit more stable on the descents (less pitched forwards).

I say try it as it is and see how you like it..

russjp
    Free Member

I ran 130mm revelations on my anthem x and it rode lovely, especially on the downs

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I have 100-130 Revs on mine and though I don’t wind them all the way out, 100 – 120 works great on the ups and corresponding downs. I have wide bars and a short stem on it, and it’s a great, light, all day bike.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Can anyone comment if there fork was an improvement over the stock fox F100 RL?

Thinking of changing to a reba RLT 2012… Has the U turn function so i can dial in 100-120mm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘100 vs. 120mm fork on an Anthem X’ is closed to new replies.