Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1920's TDF smoking riders
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

anyone know the name of the photograph / photographer of the 1920's tour riders sharing a cigarette?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

This one?

No idea, but brilliant photo!

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Yes that's the one.

Drac

Isn't Google marvellous.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

After the name of the original photographer really.

clubber
    Free Member

That spoof second one Drac posted really is quite well done, isn't it 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

The lack of prominant cheekbones in the spoof spoils the effect somewhat..

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

not sure who the photographer is but I think (I'll check when I get in) it can be found in the book 'an intimate portrait of the tour de france'. Bit pricey but a great book with some great pics.

slowjo
    Free Member

While we are talking about old TdeF things. I was round my folk's house yesterday and I grabbed the Sunday paper (Indy I think) for a quick read. There was this small section about a rider in the 1913 Tour who broke his handlebars on the Col de Tourmalet. Under the rules you were responsible for your own repairs and no outside help was allowed so he walked 10km down to the nearest blacksmith and repaired the handlebars himself. He carried on to finish the stage only to be penalised by 10 minutes because the blacksmith's daughter had worked the bellows on the forge! Bonkers!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

It was his forks.
    And it happened to him the following year too! Proper double 'ard b@stards

tron
    Free Member

I like the story about the blokes they caught cheating in the early TdFs.

They weren't using chemical enhancements, motors in their seat tubes, or illegal super aero positions. They were catching trains and getting lifts in cars 😆

Colin-T

…and your fans wouldn't chalk your name on the road, they'd throw tacks under the wheels of your rivals. 😈

mcmoonter
    Free Member

epicyclo

What puzzles me about the first photo is how Lance Armstrong managed to get into it. (Rider on left) 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – he's really a vampire – that's where the stories of blood doping originated from. He doesn't inject blood, he sucks it from people!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1920's TDF smoking riders’ is closed to new replies.