Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 2 Month Old Fork Faulty…What would you do?
  • nuke

Bought a set of Pike Air U-Turns from CRC and they are just under 2 months old. I have to say, up to now, I’ve been really impressed with them after having Revs.

I have noticed a little fork oil around the Floodgate but, given previous experience with RS forks, didn’t consider it to be a significant issue. However, after my ride on Sunday, I’ve noticed that the compression (and therefore lockout) does not now work at all. Tried compressing them, leaving them, turning them upside down etc but the compression still doesn’t work.

So I’m figuring this is possible due to the fork oil level dropping below the compression circuit and therefore all thats really needed is a top up of oil. Having read the stuff on the SRAM site and PP’s convert to non-poploc guide it all looks pretty straight forward although I’ve not taken apart forks before.

Of course, I’m presuming its the fork oil level…it could be something worse but sending them back to CRC (Would they go back to CRC or straight to Fisher?) would result in missing some great summer riding when it might be a simple fix.

So what would you do: have a go at topping up the oil or contact CRC?

RicB

You’ll be able to tell if there’s an oil leak from the Moco assembly just by removing the lowers – the lower right leg will be full of oil as there’s nowhere else for it to go.

A small amount around the floodgate knob is normal for motion control damped RS forks. I had a fairly major leak after displacing a seal and despite losing ~10ml of oil my lockout still worked so I think you need to lose a lot before it fails.

However, if you’ve lost all compression damping, it suggests more than a lack of oil. More likely the compression assembly itself has blown a seal somehow, or the compression port is blown open.

Problem is – if it’s done it once it’ll almost certainly do it again :-/

I’d give Flukes a call at TFT – he’ll probably know what it is and whether it’s worth sending off or doing yourself.

nuke

Thanks RicB. TBH it certainly doesn’t feel like there is any change when the compression switch is rotated and it is certainly not giving that lockout feel when rotated fully…guess it could be the seal. 🙁 Yeah, guess a call to TFT might be an idea.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think 8 weeks is too soon for a fork to fail unless you’ve been doing big jumps on them. Get CRC to take them back.

trekcol
    Free Member

Have a tinker if u are competent, if not ask CRC to take them back for a warranty inspection and resolution. If you are happy with the forks and they get fixed, job done!!

nuke

I think 8 weeks is too soon for a fork to fail unless you’ve been doing big jumps on them.

No big jumps so I’m disappointed they have developed a faulty so soon but at the same time these things happen and it’s how well/quickly its dealt with that concerns me really.

if not ask CRC to take them back for a warranty inspection and resolution.

Anyone know if CRC do it themselves or is it direct with Fisher? Any idea how CRC are with warranty stuff?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

CRC take them back, then send them to fisher. They will not let you send them direct to fisher.

All in, it took the buggers nearly six weeks to sort mine out and when they came back, they’d forgotten to rectify one fault and they were leaking more oil than when I sent them away. At that point I sent them to TFT, who fixed them and had them back to me in 72 hours.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Really you need to speak direct to CRC and ask them direct.

nuke

All in, it took the buggers nearly six weeks to sort mine out and when they came back, they’d forgotten to rectify one fault and they were leaking more oil than when I sent them away.

Yeah, this is what’s concerning me. 😕

Really you need to speak direct to CRC and ask them direct.

Mmm but after scienceofficer’s post, I hope you can see why it’s tempting to take the DIY/LBS/TFT route as it might be more of an issue to resolve with CRC than the inconvienence of just dealing with it myself. Having said that, after RicB post I’m concerned its more than just a case of topping up the oil.

Konastoner
    Free Member

As long as you have the receipt you can give them to your LBS to send, I had an issue with my Lyrik coils and after speaking to a top bloke at Fisher that’s what he suggested. Doesn’t matter where you bought them, as Scienceofficer says you can’t send them direct.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That’s if crc got them from fishers…

AlasdairMc

You’ll be able to tell if there’s an oil leak from the Moco assembly just by removing the lowers – the lower right leg will be full of oil as there’s nowhere else for it to go.

However, the Pike lowers each take 15ml of 15wt oil so it could be that.

Besides, isn’t the Motion Control at the top of the upper leg, it’s the rebound circuit at the foot?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Internet and mail order regulations mean thet the seller is legally obliged to pay for returns, but only if you ask first.

Send them back and take up jogging until they are fixed.

Good luck!

guitarhero
    Free Member

Let all the air out and cycle the forks.If the damper oil has leaked into the leg, your fork will not get full travel

Rockplough
    Free Member

This exact same thing has happened to my Pike 454 air u-turns from CRC. I’ve got a moco service kit in the post from TF. Spoke to Tim today and described the symptoms. he reckons (as I did) that indeed some oil has leaked into the lowers. If it turns out I can’t fix them then they’re going back to CRC.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely if you’ve fiddled about with them it invalidates your warranty?

votchy
    Free Member

This isn’t a dig at OP but questions like this always make me smile. If your suspension on your 2 month old car suddenly lost its damping capabilities would you ask on a forum about how to fix it or get on the phone to the dealer? If your 2 month old TV lost sound or picture, would you ask on a forum how to fix it or go back to Comet etc (other electrical retailers are available)?

Telephone CRC, arrange return, await resolution – simple 😀

solamanda
    Free Member

They’re 2 months old, don’t dismantle send back to CRC. I’ve had 18 month old pikes warranted for reasons including this issue, purchased from crc.

retro83
    Free Member

Telephone CRC, arrange return, await resolution – simple

Yeah but then you’re without forks on your bike for the two months we actually have sunny weather!

spence
    Free Member

Mine did this. I’m guessing that they’re from the same batch CRC had for sales late April. Compression/lockout failed then Monday the things locked out (well about 40 mm of travel then solid) with a bang.
    Dropped them off at LBS yesterday for return to Fishers, again thought it would be quicker then going through CRC. Daft thing is I have to drive past Fishers to get to the LBS!!! I wish they’d take stuff direct.

Bye cheap pay twice…………………………………….. 😥

thefettler
    Free Member

As above,send them back to CRC,

Then buy a new bike for summer,you know you want to ❗

nuke

As long as you have the receipt you can give them to your LBS to send,

Can’t help but think it doesn’t seem right to take forks into an LBS you’ve not bought them at and expect them to deal with the issue. Aside goodwill, what does the LBS get out of the arrangement?

Surely if you’ve fiddled about with them it invalidates your warranty?

Be interesting to know the answer to this particularily as we’re all expected to strip down and service are forks every 15 odd hours.

@ Votchy – I know what you’re saying but retro83 sums it up well 😀

@ Rockplough & Spence – Can you let me know how you get on? Be interested to here how the issue gets resolved

Thanks all…emailed CRC: I’ll see what they suggest to resolve the problem

Rockplough
    Free Member

The fix (if it works) is just a motion control service, so won’t invalidate the warranty, and I’d rather do it myself in an hour or so than send them back and wait weeks.

Of course if it’s something more serious then they’ll have to go back, but that’s a last resort in my book considering the weather we’re getting.

My service kit is due to arrive today so I’ll let you know how it goes, no problem.

DezB
    Free Member

Votchy – I really don’t see a problem with asking for a bit of advice on a forum. Get with the 21st century, man 😉

guitarhero
    Free Member

Telephone CRC, arrange return, await resolution – simple

And while your waiting, smug in the knowledge your consumer rights are intact, Rockplough will be out riding – simple

I had the same problem from the obviously faulty batch. Was never any question of the forks going back for someone else to repair when i could easily do the job myself.

willv

just checked mine and they have done the same same batch from CRC earlier in the year too.

Do you also get a clunking noise on compression ?

Will wait and see if leaving them upside down helps or if your moco service works? how much was the moco service kit?

will

Rockplough
    Free Member

No clunking noise, no.

Moco kit was £18 plus a fiver postage from TF. There would be additional expense if I didn’t already have the tools and oil etc. though.

To be honest I’ll be very surprised if the service doesn’t fix them. The forks are essentially very simple inside so apart from the seal on the moco piston failing I can’t see what else it could be. Oil leaking into the lowers matches all three symptoms.

perks

just a silly one – you haven’t altered the floodgate at all have you – that might have something to do with it??? if it has loosened off (something that happened to my revs) then turning the compression will have no noticable effect…

Rockplough
    Free Member

No it’s not the floodgate. There’s a noticeable lack of damping overall, and it wouldn’t explain the loss of travel.

timber

ages ago I knacked something in my pike that left them locked out, returned to LBS and they were back in a week – was handy that the rep was in the shop though

talk to CRC, don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask for refund/replacement if the turn around will knock out more than one weekend of riding

nuke

Let all the air out and cycle the forks.If the damper oil has leaked into the leg, your fork will not get full travel

Just had a chance to give this a go: having let all the air out of both chambers, I compressed the fork and can only get about 95mm of travel before it bottoms out. The bottom out point felt more like a clunk and a physical barrier to any further compression.

My service kit is due to arrive today so I’ll let you know how it goes, no problem.

Good luck 😀

Just spoke with I think Paul at TFT and he’s confirmed its probably the same for mine. Nice chap, very helpful.

Got a response from CRC including…
    We can only refund this postal cost if the product was faulty within our 30 days return period.

Recorded delivery back to CRC is going to be the same as the Moco kit 🙁

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah it stinks but CRC are right. They don’t have to pay for return postage. You might get somewhere playing hardball though, given that the particular batch of forks seems to be dodgy, and bad news travels fast online.

Also remember that if you’re starting from scratch you need more than just the moco kit, so sending them back may be cheaper.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Well as expected, all of the moco oil was sitting in the lowers. Replaced moco seals, topped up with fresh oil. Replaced oil in lowers. I’m a bit confused because the old seals looked ok, but anyway the forks now work fine. I’ll give it a day or two to make sure, but it looks good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CRC are not right – they have to pay the postage – but this could be by reimbursing you. Nowt to do with 30 days or their terms and conditions but the distance selling regs and sale of goods act.

nuke

@ Rockplough – Nice one. Good to here you got them sorted. Fingers cross they stay working 😀

I’m a bit confused because the old seals looked ok

Wonder if they would have worked again if you’d drained off the oil from the uppers and lowers and then put the right amounts back in ❓

@ TJ – tbh I’m not up on regs etc but I might try emailing them and confirming

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    Rockplough
    Free Member

Re the return thing, I know the seller has to pay for postage if you’re sending faulty goods back for a refund, but I had to look into this ages back and ended up paying postage as I couldn’t find anything in the SOGA or DSR saying seller should cover postage of itmes returned for repair. Didn’t look that hard though.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Nuke, cheers mate. I expect they would have worked in the short term if I’d just sorted the oil out, but if they’ve leaked once I wouldn’t chance it. It’s not much more work to change the seals anyway if you’re doing the oil.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘2 Month Old Fork Faulty…What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.