Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2008 Rockhopper & Stumpjumper frames. Any opinions?
  • I’m looking at getting another 29er hardtail frame to use as a spare for when I inevitably break whatever other frame I’m riding at the time.

Any opinions on these ?

Rockhopper for £200

Stumpjumper for £300

I can’t find much information on the web on these older models.
    What’s the difference, what’s the weight, dimensions and so on ?
    Has the Stumpjumper really got sliding dropouts ? It’s hard to see in that picture.
    What are the caliper mountings like ? I need to know if I can fit a Rohloff.

BoardinBob

I can’t find much information on the web on these older models.

Specialized has a brilliant archive

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCBikes.jsp?my=2008&gold_ses=&menuItemId=9329

Thanks Bob
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2008&sid=08Rockhopper
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2008&spid=33294

It doesn’t go into much detail though, like what’s the weights and why is one £100 more than the other, and neither of those appear to have sliding dropouts.

Scamper
    Free Member

For what its worth i’ve got a 2008 Rockhopper and 2009 Stumpjumper, 5ft 9 and take a 17 frame. I don’t think the latest 2011 frame for the rockhopper is much different, but the bike as a package looks more bling. Not a huge amount of difference between the bike weights either. I’d say the Rockhopper, which feels more agile in tight twisty stuff is circa 27-28lbs, and the Stumpy 28-29lbs? In the process of trying to take the Rockhopper weight down to 21-22lbs 1×9 for messing around on Cannock Chase.

BoardinBob

It doesn’t go into much detail though, like what’s the weights and why is one £100 more than the other, and neither of those appear to have sliding dropouts.

Weights will be a struggle to find.

Price difference will be attributed to the different alloys: M4 on the Rockhopper, M5 on the Stumpy

Zooming in on the enlarged images, I can see the adjustable drop outs on the Stumpy frame

Scamper, it’s just the frame I’m after. “More agile” sounds good to me. I like the look of the curved seat tube too, so as it’s just going to be a commute/spare bike I’m leaning towards the cheaper Rockhopper.

The pictures on the Specialized site don’t match those on BikeScene.
    Compare the seat tubes and the dropouts. I think it would be worth contacting BikeScene to check the details. They might have just used a library photo.

BoardinBob

Even zooming on the Bikescene stumpy pic I can see the adjustable dropouts

More info on the Stumpy dropouts here

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/SJ_Dropout_Installation_Guide.pdf

Ah, right, thanks. Now I know what I’m looking for, I can see it too.
    I was looking for two bolts, one behind the other,like a Lynskey or Kona. The slots are on the sliders, rather than the frame, so they don’t show up on the big picture.

jordie
    Free Member

did you find out if they have sliding dropouts?

Yes, I’ve phoned BikeScene and both the Rockhopper and Stumpjumper have got sliding dropouts.
    They’ve sold out of 19″ Rockhoppers though. 🙁
    Specialized don’t give a rider height/frame size guide, but going by other manufacturers figures and what I’ve already got, I reckon I want a 19″.
    That means I either get a 21″ Rockhopper for £200, a 19″ Stumpjumper for £300, or maybe just go for a Chumba HX2 at £400.

Anyone got any opinions of the suitability of a 21″ Rockhopper for a 6’1″ rider ?
    Comparing the dimensions with various other bikes I’ve owned, it’s a few mm longer in the top tube.
    I’m currently riding a Medium Kona Big Unit. I find the fit of it OK, it’s just that long seatpost that worries me every time I go over a bump. 🙁
    A larger frame would give me more confidence in the long term crackproofness of the seat tube/top tube junction, I just don’t feel I particularly need a longer top tube.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

MTG, Im just over 6’2″ (190cm to be exact) and had a 19″ rockhopper and found it too cramped.

Went to a 21″ stumpjumper marathon and fit perfect (sold now). Also have the 21″ FSR and again, bang on for me with a 70mm stem.

Only downside is the extra length in the steerer cuts down the options on used forks (majority being to short) I had to resort to a new CSU on some existing ones.

z1ppy

As above I have a much shorter m8 (I’m 6ft) whose moved from a medium FSR Stumpjumper to a large, against all known “interenet” advice/guides. He loves it a lot more, has no issue handling wise, & no back ache like when he used to ride the medium.
    So I’d suggest they have a strange sizing policy & worth looking them closely, if not in the flesh.

Only downside is the extra length in the steerer cuts down the options on used forks

+1, we were mid swap of the fox fork between bikes before I saw there was no chance of fitting the medium frame forks onto the large frame (tala va floats, he want to keep the tala’s), it hadn’t occured to eith er of us it would be an issue.

Thanks both.
    Problem’s solved now as I’ve ordered a Chumba HX2. 😉

I cancelled the Chumba order after my LBS couldn’t get hold of them on the phone.
    I bought a 21″ Rockhopper in the end.
    Just built it up and been for a short test ride.

I think I’ll turn the stem over to drop the bars a bit.
    I’ve always had trouble with Magura brakes as well, I can’t seem to bleed them properly, so I’ll be looking for a set of Mini Monos to match my other bikes.
    This now means that when I get my Lynskey back, I’ll have three 29er hardtails. 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

That looks great, what forks are on it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe tighten the saddle up, the nose has slipped down

Rock Shox Reba 100mm.
    I had to retire them when I got the Lynskey as the steerer wasn’t long enough, luckily I never got around to selling them.
    Despite being a 21″, the Rockhopper has got a shorter head tube than a 18.5″ Ridgeline.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

what is the actual length of the top tube? Is the bottom bracket high on these too as my current 29er seems like the pedals are touching the floor! Do it also have bosses to fit a rack for panniers on the rear or mug guards if you needed to.

vinnyeh

What’s your height/leg length etc mtg? 🙂

BikeScene sold it as a 2008 model, although it looks a bit different to the 2008 model on the Specialized archive.
    There’s no geometry or dimensions on there anyway, so, using a tape measure, it’s a 650mm top tube, measured horizontally.
    The BB centre is 320mm off the ground.
    No mudguard, crudguard or rack mounts.
    I’m 6’1″ with 34″ inside leg.

The sliding dropouts are just flat plates. I could probably make a Rohloff one to avoid using a speedbone.

Ready for Bontrager 24/12.

Shorter stem, Rohloff, Hope mini mono brakes, bottle cage, spare tube and CO2 taped to the frame.

A short ride with a 30.9mm seat post in a 21″ frame has made me realise just how much the 27.2mm carbon post in my 18″ Kona frame flexes. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2008 Rockhopper & Stumpjumper frames. Any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.