Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 2010 Fox Van 36 or 2010 Lyrik DH? Opinions
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Looks like I can go with a S/h 160 36 Vans or a new 2010 170mm Lyrik coil with the DH damper. Not sure which way to go, the Lyrik is £150 more expensive but obviously has the warranty

They weigh the same, both get good reviews..opinions, likely to go on my Nicolai Helius AM to go with the Cane creek rear

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not sure about the DH Lyrics but i’ve just bought some 2010 Lyric 2 steps and they are incredible, kick the ass out of my (slightly older) 36s. Only pain is the very slow return between the two travel settings

mildred

+1 what mrmivhael said, though my 2steps are 2008/09 models I got NOS. I have to admit I was amazed at the performance compared to the 36’s. I had some totems until recently with mission control doing, and the lyrics feel better than those.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Lyric all the way. I ran one all summer in Morzine – didn’t need to fiddle with them – they just work well – and no dreaded stanchion wear.

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks chaps…short term cost for long term gain then..

messiah
    Free Member

Fox 36 stantion wear vs RS Lyrik creaking crowns 🙄

Either is good – with the second hand forks it might be worth figuring in a service from TFT/Stendec/Loco… and while on the phone ask about tuning options… it might change your mind about which to go for 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i got NOS from crc, just over £300 for a £900 pair of forks makes them even better to me 😀

they were 1.5s though

chakaping
    Free Member

No experience of either, but have you thought about the Marz 55 RC3 as well?

Seems to be quite highly-regarded and has much less rigorous service requirements.

Chainline
    Free Member

Coil or air? £170 more for air, 180g less in weight, just spent £150 more on wheels, aghhhh and they are 400g heavier than my old wheels…

Is there really much reliability diff between coil and air these days, the lyrik air gets loved for its smoothnesss it seems…

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it’s the ti coil version that Dirt were creaming themselves over and I think it also had a very favourable write-up in ST.

I’d probably get a 36 Float if it was for riding uphill, or the BOS deville if I was feeling flush.

Bike weight is quite important to me though.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m not feeling flush…dilema is I have a float on the bike already, building up a hardtail which I want to keep lighter so I would put the Lyrik on the Full suss taking it to 35lbs from an original 32.5 but with uppy downy post/HD wheels/Coil rear shock…

Bie weight is important to me and the susser will get ridden up the hills on enduros…

cubemeup
    Free Member

my 36’s RC2 are way better than any Lyrik IMO

messiah
    Free Member

Marz 55 RC3 Ti only works out as good if your in the correct weight band. If you need to use air pressure because your over the “ideal” weight it stiffles the performance.

A good friend has 36 Floats and Van’s – he prefers the Floats (both R’s but the Van are older).

I have 160mm 2010 Float RC2’s on my Helius AM. I was going to get the R but got a deal on the RC2… and I’m very glad I did. The LSC allows me to run a nice low pressure and yet stops the fork diving through the travel in the low speed techy stuff I love. Brilliant fork. Not as plush as another friends 55 RC3 Ti in the car park, but when he was out for a spin on mine he reckoned he could hardly feel any difference other than mine dived less. He would rather have the Floats.

Looking forward to trying someones Bos Deville – but in no hurry to change my Float 36 RC2’s.

Air seems to work up front just fine – on the rear it’s a different story.

messiah
    Free Member

If you already have 36 Floats on the Helius leave them there and get something else for the other bike (or maybe some more) – thats what I would do.

Toombsy
    Free Member

I have just gone from Van 36 R 160mm to Van 36 RC2 180mm and can’t believe how much plusher the RC2 makes things

messiah
    Free Member

Good point Toombsy – I know the AM is for 160mm forks but the 180mm Fox 36’s can be internally adjusted to 160 or 170mm.

Doesn’t help Chainline’s bargain hunting options though :mrgreen:

scruff
    Free Member

Standard Mission control can be messed with to replicate the DH damper(ish) but you loose the lockout & blowoff function. It worked on my 2nd hand Totems.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-lyric-mod-2010.html

carbon337
    Free Member

Love my lyrik coil 160 uturns but with a DH damper, so no lockout blowoff thingy just ace plushness. I was worried about weight etc but I haven’t noticed the weight difference over a 32 float.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Chainline I’d echo the comment here about actually going for the Fox 36 Float rather than either the Lyrik DH Air or Van 36. The performance of the Float is more than good enough and it’s so light.

I run the 36 RLC on my Helius AM along with either a Fox Float RP23BV or a CCDB and find that it works just fine.

My AM with a Reverb and the Float rear damper is also 29.5lbs and 30.5lbs with the CCDB. I rode it around the most incredible trail ride in San Diego just recently, over some of the rockiest trails I’ve ever been on and was impressed as ever.

Chainline
    Free Member

Fair point Messiah, but what!!!!! 2010 36 Van RC2 FIT is a good price, similar to 2011 Sektor coil!

How bad is stantion wear, what sort of mileage are we talking here? And as pointed out I could always tune them.

For the same price as the 36 Van I could put a 150mm air Rev on the hardtail, not as stiff etc but way lighter..600g, and still £150 cheaper than the Lyrik…

I do like 36 stiffness!!!

messiah
    Free Member

Stantion wear is a non issue for me in the year I’ve had my Floats – stripped them a couple of times but all clean and happy inside.

I’d get the right fork for the bike… I nearly bought some more Float 36 to replace the noodly rebas’s on my hardtail; but decided to keep the Reba’s and use the Helius if I’m taking it somewere that is going to overstress the hardtail… right tool for the job and all that 😳

Chainline
    Free Member

I want to use the hard tail for winter dual/SS duties, 24hr endurance racing, fun at the local jump/pump track (Jump track is 15mins away, nearest trail centre an hour (Cannock), nearest proper natural terrain hour and a half, Peaks)) and maybe sometimes as just an alternative for a different feel, most likely to be an Evil Sovereign, it will have hammerschizzle (Dual/SS or geared) and tough wheels.

I calculate the weight of the hardtail will be 29lbs with 36’s geared (1.5lbs lighter with a 150 Rev), the Nic is 34.5lbs uber knarly with the CCDB, Dropper post, hammerschizzle and mavic 823s, 760 bars up from the 32.5lbs with air shock, flow rims, std s/post but it rides wicked in the rocks and roots 🙂

So I agree right fork for the bike but I think either would be fine….

chakaping
    Free Member

I could put a 150mm air Rev on the hardtail, not as stiff etc

I thought that when I first got my Rev (I presume we’re talking 20mm axle), and while it’s not as stiff as a 36 – it is much, much stiffer than I expected.

What price have you seen the blackbox damping one?

Best I could find was one of them german sites about £430 delivered I think.

Chainline
    Free Member

Actually £500 is the best I can do for a blackbox which makes them over a hundred quid more than the Fox 36’s.

Looking more and more like build up a bit of muscle, only carry one 99g spare tube, drop the full first aid kit for some plasters and half a litre less water in the camel back and theres all my weight back 🙂

Fox’s are looking like a bargain…

jedi

lyrics for me 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Coil jedi? And for Performance or longevity…

I’m waiting for an answer from a retailer on the description, the forks are advertised as having a mission control DH damper but list floodgate as an adjustment, which does not tie up…

Still hard to get over the extra £150 quid at the moment for the above which I suspect are the standard damper really, in which case not interested and immediately up to £650 and above so over £250 difference…

jedi

i have air at teh moment. 2 months of battering them at herts hasn’t dented their performance 🙂

jedi

thats revelations!

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, we were talking about them up there.

jedi

ah didnt see 🙁 my bad

Chainline
    Free Member

We did discuss Rev’s too, so thats £450 for Revs but still £600 for coil lyriks with from De.

Missed the bargainous Merlin sale at £550, new airs running at well over £800 in the UK but £650 from germany. Do we pay duty from germany?

Aggg, still over £250 more than 36 Van RC2 FIT….right…150 Rev air or 36 VanRC2…

jedi

lyrics still 🙂

djflexure

Just looking at coil Lyrics £450 Merlin. They also have air, same price.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mail me re. forks 😉 all stripped and preped before dispatch too

wl
    Free Member

I’ve got Van 36s on two bikes, one set are 3-year old RC2s, one is 18 months old Van Rs. Both sets ridden hard in all weather, all year round, in the wet and gritty north. No stanchion wear at all on either. I get them Mojo’d once each year and try to leave the bikes upside down the night before I ride to let the oil circulate. Nice forks – very reliable with naff all fettling or stripping down between annual services. Maybe I got lucky. No idea if Lyrics are better.

Chainline
    Free Member

SO, IF Evil Sov is the HT, £390 for 36van rc2 on the HT OR £450 for 2011 150mm Rev RLT air maxle on the HT OR£650 for 2011 lyric DH 170. (coil or air?), put it on the Nic for 2011 HA, floats on the HT
    What’s the best all round solution?

Must make decision soon…

GEDA
    Free Member

I thought for dirt jumps you used forks that were a bit shorter? I just put a pair of 55 rc3 ti’s on my DB Alpine. Very nice but I am thinking that the pikes they replaced my actually have been a better fit for hardtail duties.

chakaping
    Free Member

SO, IF Evil Sov is the HT, £390 for 36van rc2 on the HT OR £450 for 2011 150mm Rev RLT air maxle on the HT OR£650 for 2011 lyric DH 170. (coil or air?), put it on the Nic for 2011 HA, floats on the HT
    What’s the best all round solution?

Sorry mate, I’m just confused now.

🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Ha Chapaking, easily done.

If I paid more money for a lyrik with more travel I’d put it on my Nicolai and my Floats on the HT, thats what that was all about.

If I got a s/h RC2 or REV I ‘d put it on the hardtail…

I’ll be quiet now and compile some prices, maybe email Loco.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘2010 Fox Van 36 or 2010 Lyrik DH? Opinions’ is closed to new replies.