Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 2011 Orange 5 Evo?
  • SeanOrange
    Free Member

So whats the betting that in a couple of months we'll see a linkage driven, 30.9mm seat tubed, tapered head tube, 140mm travel new bike out of Halifax?

coatesy
    Free Member

ST4 evo maybe,single pivot simplicity is a strong selling point of the 5, can't see them ditching it just yet.

forge197
    Free Member

That's not the 5 this looks like the additional link and suspension re-work on the ST4 that has been rumoured, also no tapered head on that bike from what I can see.

goby

Seen it before, its a 140mm travel prototype blood sort of thingy i reckon

geetee1972
    Free Member

The bike pictured above is single pivot. The simplicity of the Five comes from it being a single swing arm which directly drives the damper. The downside to that design is, I think, an inherently falling rate suspension design, i.e. the suspension gets easier to compress as it moves through its travel so promoting bottom out rather than inhibiting it. As I understood it, this was the reason Orange started using the linkage driven single pivot design; they wanted to have a more progressive feel.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

that back end looks bendy.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

ST5 then? Thats defo a trail bike but a bit too similar to the current 5 I reckon. They could be put all the recent developments we've seen into one bike possibly. Can't wait till next years bikes are revealed! 🙄

LoCo
    Free Member

Nice, that'd be interesting to try. Linkage to drive the shock should get it working that little bit better.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Looks fantasic.

nasher
    Free Member

why havent they added a shock linkage tothe 5?

GaryLake
    Free Member

It's deffo not an ST4 replacement as that fork is clearly 140mm. So unless they're going 140/120 or something perhaps to site between the blood and the ST4. I fully expect the Five to be about but in the guise of that MBR special with the bigger seattube and tapered head tube.

I expect Dave Flynn is reading and will leave us to wild speculation. Dave has been riding the above bike in a lot of variations and colours so they're clearly putting a lot of work into whatever it eventually is.

Sim

Review of the new, 2011 if you will, five in the next issue of the mag…

steve_b77
    Free Member

That looks really nice, I'd consider having one of those.

Wouldn't have a 5 as I just can't get over how they look

dasnut
    Free Member

surely thats a zesty without the horst link or looks?

hugh_b
    Free Member

Hope they don't slap a linkage system on the five. I love the single pivot simplicity, does everything i want it to and more, all on one set of bearings!

friendsandfamily
    Free Member

Had a 5 and now have one of these http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm

Admittedly my 5 was an 08 version and this knocks the socks off it big time.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Sim, is the reviewed bike confirmed as the 2011 final version then?

grantway
    Free Member

Normaly when Orange show the proto type as they done the
    same with the Blood and the following year it came out.
    Must be the cheaper way of makeing a bike than folding
    Aluminium

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Yeh, but there are a few prototypes about, so what are Orange up to ….. 😕

grantway
    Free Member

Orange like others continue to test and try out new designs
    Thats how bikes evolve.
    Orange arnt upto anything un towards, just looks that they may be
    coming away from the folded aluminium way of making things

Nice looking bike 😉

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I understand that & didnt mean that they were doing anything untoward 😕
    Just intrigued as to their future plans, given that there are some clues out the on tinterweb 😉

http://www.cycleworks.co.uk/blog/daves-strange-five

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that first pic (if it is the orange five) is absolutly stunning!!!!! i love it! its nicer than the lapierres (almost the same admittedely) but a nicer rear end! intruiged for sure now!!!! now doubt will be about 2000 quid though 🙁

matt_outandabout

That is purdy looking.

scruff
    Free Member

I could be wrong but I think that blue on is Phils from Bike Verbier, he usually has a few Strange protos to ride.

psychle
    Free Member

Is it kind of the same as a Yeti? Single pivot with a linkage/dogbone controlling the shock? looks like my ASR-sl to me?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

to be fair, i think its about time it had a revamp…….i know it doesnt need to be changed performance wise, but the rear end surely needs a bit of a revamp…….does it really need that block of metal on the swingarm anymore? brands like lap/yeti etc dont need so and seem to be plenty strong enough/cope with all mountain….

i think if these shots are 5's they are going in the right direction….not keen on the blue pic, but the original post pic it looks well nice!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hope they don't slap a linkage system on the five. I love the single pivot simplicity, does everything i want it to and more, all on one set of bearings!

Again, the designs talked about here are all single pivots. You need to distinguish between single pivot and single swing arm versus linkage driven.

Bearings don't tend to need replacing unless there is a problem with the frame alignment or you jet wash your bike and force water into the them. I owned my Spesh Enduro for five years and never needed to replace any of the bearings. The argument that a single pivot single swing arm design is inherently better from a maintenance perspective might well be out of date. Besides, one set of bearings means a higher load on those bearings and therefore more chance of there being an issue right?

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

That's an interesting looking frame. The general trend for single pivot does seem to be leaning towards a linkage driven shock as others have said, plus that folded downtube on the current Five is a bit soft – I have the dents and cuts from rocks to prove it!

It could be an interesting year for single pivot bikes, looking at what Santa Cruz are doing as well….

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks very nice, whatever it is.

Who'd have thought Orange could make a good-looking bike, eh?

😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

friendsandfamily – Member
    Had a 5 and now have one of these http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm

Admittedly my 5 was an 08 version and this knocks the socks off it big time.

Thanks for that link, that covert does look nice; now where did I leave that spare £1300??

The Orange looks nice too.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Yeah looks nice, but then it should as it's very like my Yeti ASr-sl as mentioned above 😮

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘2011 Orange 5 Evo?’ is closed to new replies.