Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Full Sus anyone ride one?
  • will1
    Free Member

On the lookout for a new bike/frame and wondered about the 29er route. Cheers

TooTall
    Free Member

Turner Sultan. Brilliant bike that does everything better than I can.

ton

i do.
    ventana el capitan
    tis very big and very sturdy.

MrTall
    Free Member

Salsa Big Mama here. Very happy with it and they are being sold off very cheap at the moment on some US websites.

ton

tootall, i thought your scandal was all the bike you could ever want…… 😉

Clink

Any excuse!

ton

very nice too……….. 8)

M6TTF
    Free Member

MrTall – Member
    Salsa Big Mama here. Very happy with it and they are being sold off very cheap at the moment on some US websites.
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I looked into this but with tax and shipping it nearly doubled!

will1
    Free Member

Clink
    That looks very nice. I have heard they fly on the level ground but what does the 29er climb like?

Clink

I've ridden rigid ss 29er for a while now; climbs like a goat. The Big Mama had it's first ride today – bit of a contrast. 😀 Very tight, rear sus definately helped traction on uphills (especially with mud and summer tyre!). Fast downhill! The only problem I found was the fork bobbing when climbing – but I'm used to a rigid fork. I fond locking the fork only allowed it to climb well. Obviously it's a steep learning curve for me, so not necessarily the best person to give feedback.

NZCol

SC Tallboy. Very nice, fun to ride everywhere all the time, does some stuff better than previosu bikes, other bits worse. Overally i likey.

andyl46
    Free Member

Salsa Dos niner, just about scrapes into the full sus category?

Daffy

Don't have a 29er full suss, but do have 2 29ers. They're great bikes and climb almost as well as a 26er. The extra weight at the front IS noticable (even with light wheels) and makes it *slightly* harder to trackstand, hop about and flick the wheel quickly.

Truths about 29ers:

They're faster downhill
    They're not as good on very twisty stuff. Follow someone you know's a good rider on very twisty fast single track and you won't be able to match they're line
    High front end. However, you can sort this with flatter bars etc
    Toe overlap – If you've got huuuuge feet, you might wanna check. Especially if you're using large volume tyres.

Falsehoods:

They smooth out the trail – not in my experience.

M

Duc
    Free Member

The key is in that last post "follow someone and you won't be able to match their line"

Thats a given and the first thing you have to do when you start to ride a 29er – forget all the old lines you used to use as they have to be ridden slightly differently and do need to use different lines to go as fast as 26" wheel bikes anywhere.

TooTall
    Free Member

I don't know what Daffy is doing but my 29ers both climb better than any 26er I've owned.
    I've got size 12 feet and no overlap on either 29er I own.
    They smooth out the trail – in my experience they do.

rootes1

Falsehoods:

They smooth out the trail – not in my experience.

M

well think there is something in bigger wheels – I have a 29er Singular by the way, but on the road I ride a brompton (16" wheels) and a SS road bike (700c wheels (or 29er if you like lol!), on the same routes, the road bike is far smoother over bumps and humps etc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Full Sus anyone ride one?’ is closed to new replies.