Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 29er Full Sus race bikes…. are there any?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hello,

My mate's after switching from rigid ss 29er to a full sus 29er, but needs to be racy. All i can find that's light enough is the Gary Fisher Superfly, and the Titus 29er.

My other option for him is a 29er Tinbred…

Anyone know of anything else?

Cheers

Ricks

convert

The 29er Santa Cruz tallboy that went round and around 15 times making me dizzy just watching at set2rise to take the win can't be that slow though I'm not sure its classified as a "race bike" per se. A big unit for an engine probably helps!

Rob Dean's who visits here….

fontmoss
    Free Member

superfly 100 surely?

EDIT: ah i see, thats what you meant sorry 🙁

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

kona hei hei fits the bill. as does the niner jet-9,both racey both light for fs 29ers.

Google
    Free Member

Have you considered the Niner Jet9?

Ive got a Niner RIP9 and cant fault it. The JET is more of a race machine though.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Tallboy is DEFINITELY a race bike! Question is, are you after a one-lap wonder, or something that will let you cross the finish line a few hrs later at the same speed you started out at?

At Set2RiseI came round the first lap quite alarmed to find myself in 5th place overall "cruising" ahead of all the male teams, who were doing just the one lap. The bike is stunningly quick. I haven't touched my Superfly (2009 race bike) since I got it. Off to Bristol Bikefest this weekend with one bike in the boot: Tallboy.

Erm, I mean, it's horrid, no-one get one who is going to race against me. It must just be my legs. Erm… 😛

FuzzyWuzzy

Waiting to see if there will be an aluminium Anthem X 29er for 2011 myself…

bigsi
    Free Member

As i understand it Scott are planning on making a 29er version of the Spark possibly as early as for 2011 😕

Love the look of the Tallboy's.

Oh and Rob, if you need someone to keep your Superfly ticking over I'm local and don't mind helping out :wink:. I was drooling over it last year in the Exposure tent @ 24/12 and its a lovely looking piece of kit 😀

rootes1

Waiting to see if there will be an aluminium Anthem X 29er for 2011 myself…

me too – will be a def byy if there is one – make a nice change from the rigid 29er i have

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

+3 on the Anthem X 29er for 2011, would be my choice if I wanted a racer.

FuzzyWuzzy

oo I thought the 2nd gen prototype was carbon so was worried they'd spend so long getting that ready the alu version would get delayed but good news if it's alu as per that article

Rorschach
    Free Member

x4 for the anthem-unless I win the lottery then it'll be a tallboy!

rootes1

The man from Giant def says coming in 2011..

hopefully not like specialized and US only with the 29ers..

'Anthem x29'

robdeanhove
    Free Member

You want a race bike? How about this:

Tallboy Race Bike Feature

rootes1

do you get any pedal bob etc on the tall boy?

robdeanhove
    Free Member

rootes1 – not enough to slow me down!

I am quite happy climbing out the saddle after a little bit of shock fettling to get the VPP to operate at the right point. If I mash in granny ring I can force bob, but pedalling smoothly, or in a "proper" gear 😉 it's quite astonishing

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Scott already do the spark 29er………………need to be in the US though to get one (or know someone who can import one)
    Lovely bike that 🙄

swampi
    Free Member

i have a hei hei 2-9 full sus and thats nice and light etc

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Swampi – I bet my Tallboy's lighter 😉

Metasequoia

Hi Rob, Geeky question if you don't mind!! I'm also 6'4 but got a test ride on an XL TB coming up and I think I might need XL- What's your BB to top of saddle distance? It might help me make a decision as XXL demos are definitely not available! I'm currently on an XL Niner which size wise sits between SC XL and XXL.

Thanks

rootes1

cott already do the spark 29er………………need to be in the US though to get one (or know someone who can import one)
    Lovely bike that

got any pics/links?

i test rode a 26er spark, loved it, liked the way that instead of a lock out the handlebar adjuster thing limited travel instead

bunnerscj
    Free Member

its actually a scale not a spark but an example here :
    http://www.glorycycles.com/scsc2920bi.html

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Metasequoia – I'd base the decision on top tube length, not how much seatpost I have sticking out the frame, as you'll have different kength legs to mine and the seatpost can be moved up and down, whereas top tubes are kinda stuck!

My saddle is a shade under 34" from the centre of the cranks (I may be a wee bit over 6'4")

Enjoy your test ride, it's a pretty phenomenal bike

Metasequoia

Thanks for that my legs are long for my height, I have mine about 1.5 cm lower, as I pedal 'heel down'. I think your right on the TT length, my current Niner is 25.25, so the TallboyXL is nearer at 25 inches (I have a 100mm stem).

I could probably ride both, the jump to a 26inch TT may be too much. Head tube length is another consideration, the TB ones look short. I also have wide bars at the mo , so increasing reach….too much thinking, I'll just give it a go

Looking forward to the test ride and to racing when I inevitably cave in and buy one!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘29er Full Sus race bikes…. are there any?’ is closed to new replies.