Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 3 points
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

In July ’07 i let the speed creep above the national speed limit and got pinged for it.

When do the points come off the licence? i know they are not “valid” after 3 years but thought they stayed on for a year after that.

Is it bad that the have not appeared when my photo licence was renewed? Only noticed when i got it back yesterday.

iDave
    Free Member

3 years

j_me
    Free Member

but 4 years for insurance purposes.

uplink
    Free Member

They stay on your licence for 4 years

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Valid for 3, on license for 4

Hairychested
    Free Member

And some companies want to know about them for 5 years.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just been on a speed awareness course and can concur with funkymonkey and hairychested. #
    I also learnt (yesterday) that the national speed limit is 60mph (always thought it was 50mph), unless there is a central barrier between you and oncoming traffic, the NSL then becomes 70mph.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Count towards totting up for 3 years but stay on your licence for 4. I wouldnt be worrying much about them not being on your new ticket.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Just been on a speed awareness course and can concur with funkymonkey and hairychested. #
    I also learnt (yesterday) that the national speed limit is 60mph (always thought it was 50mph), unless there is a central barrier between you and oncoming traffic, the NSL then becomes 70mph.

I used to think this was common knowledge, but then when I tootle past people on derestricted sections of dual carriageway, I think a lot of people still think it is 60mph, as the average speed of other drivers is generally slower than motorways etc.

At the other end of the spectrum, some drivers seem to think that an overtaking lane is a 70mph derestricted area. The A9 is a good example of this, as people fly up and down the overtaking lanes.

superfli
    Free Member

Just renewed my insurance and was very suprised to hear the lady ask for any motoring convictions in the last 11 YEARS! WTF?! I havent even got any record of my older offences!

as for OP:
    3 years for legal reasons
    4 years for printed license
    5 years (typically!) for insurance

GrahamS

I also learnt (yesterday) that the national speed limit is 60mph (always thought it was 50mph)

Doh how long have you been driving about at 50 mumbling about the “speeding idiots”? 🙂

Similarly my missus, who has been driving for 18 years, was surprised to learn that “dual carriageway” doesn’t mean two-lanes. She’d been happily doing 70 on two-lane A roads all that time (and never got a ticket). 🙄

theotherjonv

Interested Q. I thought the limit on a ‘dual carriageway’ was 70 but the inference from above is:

single carriageway but with a central barrier = 70? (I’m pretty sure not on this but that’s inferred)

dual carriageway with a central reservation but no barrier = 60?

GrahamS

theotherjonv: 70 on a dual-carriageway, 60 on single.
    See the rule 124 at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070304

There is no “single with a central barrier” as a barrier means it is dual.

“Dual carriageways
    A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways.”
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070308

TheBrick
    Free Member

theotherjonv

thanks!

GrahamS

TheBrick: yep, that would be a dual carriageway. What’s your point?

mandog

I’ve learnt something today from brick. Always thought a dual carriageway had 2 lanes in each direction.

theotherjonv

so (taking aside the fact you can’t see past the brow and there is a warning of queues ahead) you could legally do 70mph on a road like that?

TheBrick
    Free Member

TheBrick: yep, that would be a dual carriageway. What’s your point?

I miss read your post initially but thought I’d keep the picture up as it illustrates the point for people like me who miss read your point. That was the point.

GrahamS

Fair enough.

theotherjonv: aye, the limit that is 70 (in a car), though obviously you’d be I’ll advised to do that for obvious reasons.

D0NK

so (taking aside the fact you can’t see past the brow and there is a warning of queues ahead) you could legally do 70mph on a road like that?

It means the maximum speed you can legally do is 70 (I think, i’m assuming the grass counts as a central reservation) that doesn’t mean if you do 70 and hit something/someone you get away free, you can be under the limit and still be driving dangerously. I know plenty of derestricted roads that you’d have to be a grade A tool to do 60mph on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s a dual carriageway if there is a physical feature which stops you moving into the path of oncoming traffic.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘3 points’ is closed to new replies.