Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 44mm head tube and tapered steerer fork – I've taken the plunge
  • markyd

After much faffing about I've just fitted a set of Fox F100 with a tapered steerer to my Anthem Advanced (the old one without the tapered head tube).

The faffing involved UK customs stinging me for £38 so I could finally get the Cane Creek XX-44 lower headset cup that I ordered from the US (and had already paid for). Oh, and having to remove about 1/16" from the top of the brand new lower cup to ensure it didn't foul the inside of the head tube.

I'm sure I've probably wrecked the handling due the extra 12mm of stack height vs 1 1/8" steerer forks. They probably weight as much if not slightly more than the Rebas they have replaced. But the forks were a bargin so I don't care (QR15, tapered steerer F100RL from the CRC's sale for £280).

RustyMac

Please excuse the dumb @ss question. Is 44mm the standard size for inch and a half or is it the standard size of a internal/zero stack head tubes?

robhughes
    Free Member

another dumb @ss question.can you fit a tapered steerer to a trance X.
    that has said internal zero stack head tube?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bump.

I'm still a bit vague on this. As far as I can see "44mm" is a 1.5 head tube with a standard 1.5" lower cup and a ZeroStack/Inset 1 1/8th top cup.

It's still just a 1.5 headtube isn't it?

z1ppy

indeedy that my take on it (it still a 1.5 headtube), how the hell have you fitted a 44mm lower cup on a 1 1/8th headtube?

yours confused…

robhughes
    Free Member

but does anyone know if a tranceX will take a tapered steerer fork.

james-o
    Free Member

the xx44 lower cup is a new 1.5" steerer lower to fit 44mm ID headtubes (ie semi-integrated) and if the giant's headtube isn't too 'waisted' it'll let you fit the tapered fork. Giant would be the best ones to confirm it tho.

porter_jamie

it isnt that tricky really, see link here where brant explains it all.

http://www.shedfire.com/2010/09/01/ragley-2011-44mm-headtubes/

brant
    Free Member

Well spotted Jamie. We like 44mm headtubes (44mm is the nominal internal diameter), but we don't like the wimpy short insert depth that is a hangover from the internal headsets – Dale messed one up on his Lapierre DH bike, and as result we decided to have a 20mm lower cup insert depth on the new headsets we're making with Nukeproof, and the frames that we're using them on (Nukeproof and Ragley).

So our frames will fit Cane Creek's standard, but our headsets won't fit everyone's frames.

We're making them in 1.125in internal, 1.125in external lower, tapered with external lower, and even 1.5in, with an external cup at each end.

Clearance is quite close with 1.5in, but it does all work – we used it on our Bagger288 show bike that you can see half way down this page – http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/09/eurobike-ragley-books-bombers-and-the-return-of-x-lite/

The headset in the foreground here is our 44mm 1.5in external model.

markyd

yes, as Brant just said. 44mm is the internal diameter for zero stack headtubes, or semi-integrated as some call them. You quite obviously can't fit 1.5 dia forks to a 1.125 dia head tube.

I think you'd be OK with the TranceX (it will almost certainly be a ZS headset), but I haven't tried. The Giant headtubes are 44mm for their full length, they tend to waist them down in the middle, but the tapered steerer starts to taper very quickly so you will 'probably' be OK. The Antham Advanced has the shallow depth problem that Brant mentions, but the Cane Creek 44 lower cup only just fouled it, by 1 or 2 mm or so. The bit that fouled was just removed by me with a file (took about 30mins). It's only a cross country bike so I don't envisage problems with insert depth (and I'm not selling it so don't have to warranty it !).

RustyMac

Ok,

Please excuse my excitement here, I have a Iron Horse MkIII which has an internal/zero stack headset which i am pretty sure has an ID of 44mm do these new headsets mean i can put an external bearing'd 1.5 inch headset into this frame which will help slacken the steep head angle and alow me to run tapered forks?

brant
    Free Member

RustyMac – yes.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm refurbing a Norco with a 50mm OD tapered headtube. FSA Orbits will give a nice low profile if you're worried about the extra height.

18bikes

Far better when you proto the headtube and headset cup yourself…

18bikes

oh piss.

brant
    Free Member

There you go.

T1000
    Free Member

Brant, is the Nukeproof 44mm 1.5in external model available yet, i’ve had a look and can’t seem to find them listed anywhere

perra
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a standard depth for the cups allowed for the 1.1/8 ZS 44ID headtubes?

I would like to fit the top of a 44EEOS on a On One Carbon 456 if it’s possible to run a straight 1.5″ steerer.
    The frame has a tappered headtube, so the bottom won’t be a problem. And If I’m also able to fit something capable of handling 1.5″ at the top I would be happy.
    I found 44EEOS with 14.8mm cups on CRC, but I’m afraid I still need to cut some of to be able to fit it to the headtube.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘44mm head tube and tapered steerer fork – I've taken the plunge’ is closed to new replies.