Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ~£600 hardtail suggestions for a mate
  • ahsat

THis is a challenge!

A mate has given up international running and wants to keep fit on a bike to prevent ongoing injury getting worse. She presently rides a 100euro pile of poo and is looking for something new. I am thinking she is best with a 80-100 mm hardtail as anything more is not justified and she still wants to cross moors on it, meaning a cyclecross is a no go really. General riding though is double track, forest paths, roads and old railway lines.

She is about 5’3″ but I know she will HATE anything pink or with flowers on it, so I am looking at understated womans bike or a very small mens. I have tried to convince her £1000 would be a good price mark, but that is never going to happen (doesnt do spending money) so I think I can probably push her to the £600 level.

Any suggestions? I am thinking Specialized Rockhopper (bit expensive, but much better than hardrock), Genesis core (if they do small enough)or Boardman comp, maybe Scott aspect (though personally not a fan). She wont wait for the delivery time on a canyon. It needs to be a full bike, ready to go.

Tomorrows shopping trip could be interesting: 5’9″ woman who rides a £3000+ Nicolai trying to convince a small woman who wont want a womans bike to spend more than £500!

Cheers

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a nearly new 2011 small frame Core 30 for sale in Co Durham she is welcome to have a go on.

ahsat

Cheers neninja – had a look at your post, but I am pretty sure a 16″ is going to be too big for her, otherwise I would have jumped at it.

That Merlin malt is good shout – need to going to try some sizes first and then maybe thats an option.

And that is a good deal on the Commencal. Cheers montylikesbeer.

Also seen a good deal on a Trek in Evans, but she wont like the colours.

stumpy01

Specialized Myka Sport…

Feminine, but not girlie and under budget.

My other half bought one a couple of years ago & loves it. It’s a really nice bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/myka-ht-sport-disc-2011-womens-mountain-bike-ec024969?query=myka

neninja
    Free Member

I suspect you could be right but the offer is there. She would be very welcome to try it for size.

It has a low stand over height and comes with a layback post as standard so an inline post is an option (I’ve got one I can fit if she wants to try it).

ahsat

Specialized Myka Sport…

How do you/your other half find the forks on that? My mate is pretty hardcore when it comes to everything else and though she doesnt admit it, I can see her giving it some stick in the end.

Neninja – I will try some Gensis with her tomorrow – if a 16″ looks ok I’ll give u a shout, but think its unlikely.

montylikesbeer

That Merlin Commencal is a right good deal

thebunk

If anything, she might as well go for a lower end spec and upgrade the frame as she gets more into it.

Mrsbunk started of with a v-brake Myka ~£300, now has hope hoops, disc brakes, Recon Air fork, x9 groupset etc, but the frame is great.

Milkie
    Free Member

If you’ve got the tools, I would build it yourself, it will work out loads cheaper, if you keep an eye out on the for sale section and fleabay.

HarYuken
    Free Member
    HarYuken
    Free Member

Double post

stumpy01

How do you/your other half find the forks on that? My mate is pretty hardcore when it comes to everything else and though she doesnt admit it, I can see her giving it some stick in the end.

Hers has got fairly basic RS Tora’s on it.
    Erm, they work, but I am not sure how well to be honest. My other half isn’t terribly adventurous on the mountain biking front & isn’t really interested in ‘dialling-in’ suspension or any of that clap trap.
    Put it this way, they aren’t as good as the 08 Reba’s on my Inbred, but they were almost as much as the Myka at RRP.

Thing is, any new bike she goes for is going to have a pretty similar fork spec on it, so it’ll be 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I’ve just had to give similar advice to a friend. I suggested a min spend of £500, which he repeatedly knocked down. He eventually bought a Diamondback something or other from Go Outdoors. First proper ride on it and he virtually killed it. Promptly admitted to me that he wished he’d spent more on it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Merlin are doing a further VIP sale:

Buy any Kona, Mondraker, Commencal or Merida bike in its original box and recieve a further discount of our sale prices.

Example: Merida Matts 40-D RRP £549.95 – Boxed £315

Example: Commencal Ramones 3 RRP £799.95 – Boxed £475
    Bikes are 85% assembled and will require a pre-ride PDI
    OFFER ONLY APPLIES FOR UK DELIVERY

this weekend only.

ahsat

Well she ended up getting a small BMC blast from Evans and it has to be said that kit at the present £550 is pretty good. It also meant she could take it today which was a major plus. She was little done in with bike banter by the end, but she seems happy and that is the main thing. Will see how it rides.

Thank you though for all the suggestions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘~£600 hardtail suggestions for a mate’ is closed to new replies.