Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 8 speed grip shift & shimno mech?
  • andyfowler
    Free Member

Are they compatible?? A mate wants to upgrade to 8 speed grip shift do i need a sram mech or does a shimano one work ok?

GW
    Free Member

depends whether you buy a shimano compatible one or not 😛

Sum
    Free Member

As GW says, you'll need a 2:1 shifter.

antigee

or put another way sram shifters def won't work on a rear shimano mech
    (as they are 1:1 i think)

TheChunk
    Free Member

or put another way sram shifters def won't work on a rear shimano mech

SRAM shifters with names (Attack, Rocket etc.) are shimano compatible.
    SRAM shifters with numbers (x9, x7 etc) are not shimano compatible.

antigee

thanks TheChunk not aware that is how worked and cleared up a past confusion for me

ex-pat
    Free Member

As above, but have done it on a DH bike. IIRC I have a rocket shifter.
    Ran a Grip shit and Dura Ace rear 😯
    Now same grip shift and rapid rise LX shifter, I use ODI lock-ons as they have a short version for the shifter side.

For downhill it's ace, I can keep a death grip on the bars, and with the rapid rise as I stand up (and rotate wrist forwards) I can slide into a lower gear, as I launch or get off the back going into a faster section I can pull into a higher gear.

But, elegant it is not, the grip is grubby and the little indicator window doobry doesn't work any more (bike is ancient mind).

Can sort of see it here:

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooooh loving that Norco 😛 – I fancy a retro-ish d/h build as a summer project.

andyfowler
    Free Member

Thanks for all that, its these i was going to use:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120594336246&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

does this make them shimano or not?

GW
    Free Member

oh FFS!! 🙄

read the first line of the description.

if you don't believe it, Email the seller!

andyfowler
    Free Member

I'm asking for help and advice not abuse

Since when have ebay sellers been correct all the time?

TheChunk
    Free Member

I've not seen those before but according to the SRAM website the MRX shifters are Shimano compatible.

Sum
    Free Member

andyfowler, if you click on the linky in my previous post, it will take you to the SRAM webpage listing their 2:1 shifters. There's three 2:1 shifter types: Attack, Centera and MRX (there used to be a Rocket shifter as TheChunk has already mentioned).

All these have gripshift options but I'm not sure if they're all suitable for MTBs or for town bikes etc. I'll leave it to you to go through their product manuals given on the webpage.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Oi mamadirt, it's not retro! It's just lasted well! 😀
    Hasn't done a lot in the last few years (kids and other bikes), but recently I changed it back to more or less as you see here and have started doing a bit more DH at a local track.
    It did do a stint with a double ring up front but it's just to heavy and bouncy to take anywhere except downwards really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘8 speed grip shift & shimno mech?’ is closed to new replies.