• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 9 inch Black Mamba with pics
  • Filthy
    Free Member

Arrived yesterday 27.2mm 9 inches of infinately adjustable travel, initial impressions are very good. It seems well engineered and the cover looks like it should keep the crud out. There is a little bit of lateral play, a bit more than a gravity dropper but less than a Maverick. The lever is small but easy too use and is neatly out of the way. I’m probably going to have to fit a slightly longer cable as it pulls tight when the bars are rotated past 180deg, not really problem unless I crash or get the urge to start doing bar spins.

The limiter screw is easy to set, just pull the post out and set a little allen key grub bolt where you want it to stop. Only sat in the house on it but it appears to do what it says on the tin. Tommorows ride round the peaks should give me a better idea what they perform like in the real world.

Lever…

Post…

Cable routing…

retro83
    Free Member

how much does it weigh & how much does it cost?

scaredypants

nine inches of travel !? 😯

got a link mister ?

Filthy
    Free Member

weight 595g
    cost £275 delivered with import duty paid

Linky to save you googling 9 inch black mamba at work

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Looks a hell of a lot neater and nicer than my gravity dropper but reliability is the issue with these things. Mine is currently broke awaiting fettling…

Filthy
    Free Member

I’ve already broke a gravity dropper(knob came off) and a maverick(kept sticking down), hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

will
    Free Member

I think the idea is great, but tbh for £275 i would just stop, put seat down manually, then be off again, still with £275 in my pocket.

But hey ho.

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you have to use it sheathed?

Filthy
    Free Member

i would just stop, put seat down manually, then be off again

Stopping isn’t really an option in an enduro race.

As for the sheath, you dont have to use it but given the amount of mud we have I think I’ll be leaving it on.

will
    Free Member

Thats a fair point.

BearBack
    Free Member

Is it for the Rush?

Seems odd having a 9″ adjustable seatpost on a 4″ travel bike.

I cant see that you’d ever need more than a couple of inches of saddle drop on an XC bike.. surely all you need is enough drop to let you get of the back of the saddle to make descending a little easier when things get steep or to give you a little more lateral bike movement when things get techy

Don’t get me wrong though.. I though that adjustable seatposts were a waste of time… until I used a Joplin on my Ransom then I saw the clear benefits in that bike application. I will most likely run a Joplin on my Genius too.
    I do however think its possibly a negative thing in terms of xc riding as I’ve always tried not to drop my saddle in techy sections as i’m not going to want to do that in a race.

Product looks good though

Filthy
    Free Member

I’d agree with all of that BearBack except…

I dont really use the Rush as the designer intended hence the 50mm stem, risers and fat tyres. I know its supposed to be an XC marathon bike but it gets used for everything except uplift days, building an Intense M1 for that. I’ve also found that when it gets really steep 5inches of gravity dropper isn’t enough.

sam42
    Free Member

aw i thought it was gonna be an actual pneumatic drilldo…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

9″!!!!!!!!!!

I dont hink my hardtail has 9″ of adjustment befofore the post hits the bottle mounts!

Even DH riders oly seem to run their saddles 3-4″ below XC height.

jonb
    Free Member

On my 456 I drop the saddle all the way down to the frame. If you’re going to drop it you might as well get it all the way out of the way. Good for jumping and drops where it’s just better out of the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘9 inch Black Mamba with pics’ is closed to new replies.