• This topic has 76 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Epic.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • 900 lumen bike light for £50 anyone?
  • ruminant
    Free Member

richc
    Free Member

isn’t there a new all singing all dancing uber LED due out soon?

will
    Free Member

Oooo nice!

ruminant
    Free Member

Yep there is

Troutie is in the process of building a light for me and is holding off finishing for the new leds

FuzzyWuzzy

Was wondering when they’d get around to a proper bike version

will
    Free Member

Worth buying? How long for it to you think?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

is that the same as the p7 torch jobbie that was all the rage last winter?

ruminant
    Free Member

think it might well be

richc
    Free Member

No don’t think so as the torch only has a run time of 60 to 90 minutes. Regardless it must be worth hanging on until it gets dark again so they have a chance to put the newer brighter LED in the chassis, so you can get longer run times

cchris2lou

if ordered now , would I get it before MM ?

shinsplints

****presses order button****

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll stick with my 1000lumen for £40 i got last year, 4 Q5 torches, shortened, weigh 58 each with soldered wires and battery clips.

2aa = 2 hours per “torch”, 2 torches = whiteout in all but very dense woodland.

found i could tilt them further back, so the center of my vision was away from the central spot, which was then diluted by the distance. Frankly though I prefer just one (250lumen) and 8 hour run times 🙂 as theres no need to pick out details as far ahead as a 1000 lumen spot lets you!

takisawa2

Still using P7’s here.
    (Young children = v-late / v-early rides!!!)
    Looks good.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought a p7 for my father-in-law for xmas and was very impressed, but never managed to order one myself. now waiting for the fist of the ‘must buy super torch’ threads that’ll signal the coming of winter! : )

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance, but 900lumens = how many watts of the old style non HID lights?

JxL
    Free Member

I bought a P7 off this forum for £40, works brilliant! Usually run it in low power and its plenty.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I think they’d be the equivalent of a 40w halogen or a 20w HID? 900Lumens is very bright, but it’ll be interesting to see what the throw is like.

I’m going to get one if the dollar weakens against the pound..

trout
    Free Member

for sale !redundant soldering iron 🙄

shinsplints

This is probably a numpty question but what about the converter for usa to uk plugs ? is it ok to just use a regular one for the charger ?

trout
    Free Member

Hi Mark
    Funnily I was just shoe horning the Maxflex into the Hope last weekend .
    do you def want to wait for the new leds . could be july august when they are available.

midlifecrashes

Just looked at the close up of the charger, it’s rated 100-240V 50/60Hz, so just a travel plug adapter will do, plus you can use it worldwide.

shinsplints

nice one midlifecrashes.

Northwind

“No don’t think so as the torch only has a run time of 60 to 90 minutes.”

This light uses the same battery, but the torch uses one while this light has 4- hence longer burn times.

I’ve got a pair of the torches, and they’re as good as the hype- better than 9/10s of “proper” bike lights. Need to see exactly what the optics are like in this to see if it works as well as they do though but there’s no reason it shouldn’t.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I think they usually ship an adapter with them.

z1ppy

no you need to order an adapte off them, or just cut off the plug and wire on a UK one…

Loosk good, but i actually like my P7 torch rather than a ‘proper’ (limited) bike light, as it lives in my coat packet when not on the bike….

macmclaren
    Free Member

yea i tried my p7 for the first time this week. Fantastic light.

tho the 5 mode gets on my nerves.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wonder what tesco have planned for next winter!! : )

singlespeedstu

How long do orders from these guys take to arrive?

Am I going to get stung for import and VAT?

z1ppy

SSS, can take 10 days to 3 week depending on how busy they are.
    Not one of us got stung for VAT … 8 odd orders, with one being for 5 torches & associated kit (so quite big and expensive an order), though they tend to come through in two lots…. batteries and chargers first and then the torch (for the clasic P7 obviously).

takisawa2

I’ve bought a fair bit of stuff from DealExtreme. If its in stock takes about 7 days, otherwise can be up to 2 weeks. In my experience if its saying despatch in 2-5 days on the website, then it’ll be about 10 days.
    No import tax to pay, at least I’ve never had any problems ordering up to £45 or so anyway.
    An 18650 cell will give you about 1hr 5 mins on max all the time, if your flicking between max / med I’ve had 2hrs before now.
    They’re not quite 900 lumens, more like about 750. I had a Hope HID (10w) before & the P7 just had the edge. As for a comparison with halogens, I reckon your closer to 50-60 watts.
    The one to go for is the SKU12060. I tried a 2 mode one but both had to go back so changed to the 5-mode (SKU12060). Have been in use since Nov last year with no problems.
    Using them is a compromise, make no mistake, & if I could afford a Hope 4 LED thats what I’d have.
    Mounting them is just as effective with zip ties & a bit if innertube as it is with the Fenix Lock-Block mounts costing £8 or so.

singlespeedstu

Thanks for that.

trout
    Free Member

There is a bit of a review on one over here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5721023&posted=1#post5721023
    The guy has had it in bits and is not too impressed

aracer
    Free Member

Are these new LEDs being mentioned the XP-G or something else? Went and had a look on CPF seeing them mentioned here, and whilst they’re brighter, I’m not convinced they’re that huge a leap forwards.

ruminant
    Free Member

Hi Trout

Not sure about the leds, roughly what output are we looking at for the existing leds compared to the new ones?

How much is too much light?

longweight
    Free Member

900 lumens is the equivalent of a 50W MR16 downlight. All depends on the beam angle though….

aracer
    Free Member

Also depends whether you really get 900 lumens from a “900 lumen light”!

epicyclo

I’ve ordered one. It’ll be interesting to compare to my other lights.

Should really do some eBaying before they’re worthless 🙂

Epic
    Free Member

Just ordered too 🙂 Can’t be any worse than my old lumicycle lights anyway!

I’ve got a helmet mounted Light & Motion Stella 200 which it pretty handy, and an old set of Lumicycle 10w/12w halogens set up on the bars at the moment.

Hang on, it’s summer! Why am I blowing my hard earned on lights?!

Northwind

“Also depends whether you really get 900 lumens from a “900 lumen light”! “

You probably don’t, the emitter is capable of it but chances are you don’t actually get it. The SSC P7 torches have been put at 600-700 by people who know how to work this stuff out, which is still a lot of light.

Or alternatively, if that’s not enough, you can buy about 8 for the price of a Lupine Betty or Light and Vision Seca 😯 But you might set fire to the trees.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘900 lumen bike light for £50 anyone?’ is closed to new replies.