Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 226 total)
  • A serious question for ernie lynch.
  • bombadillo
    Free Member

not wanting to be rude or offend.
    but why would a person who shows no interest in cycling (i have looked at your profile, and there is no posts to do with cycling) be one of the main contributors to a mountain bike or cycling forum.
    just out of interest?

Moses

May I answer on behalf of Ernie in case he's not around? –

He likes cycling. I've met him at Swinley as have many other STW people, and he's cycled to meet bodies in a London pub. Top bloke

So why not?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

1) this type of post is not allowed by the rules
    2) he may be an example of parasitic cycling

bombadillo
    Free Member

i was just interested, no reason, maybe i am just too nosey.

bombadillo
    Free Member

barnes, ssshhhooo

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

barnes, ssshhhooo

funny, only ton calls me that…

bombadillo
    Free Member

i know i looked at some back posts.
    seemed to err you a tad.

nickc

Isn't this reason we have two forums, one for chat, one for bikes. As far as I'm aware, STW has never ever been solely about bikes, or mountain biking, and has always had a "lively" chat side.

Long may it continue.

bombadillo
    Free Member

nickc, i thought that but was not too sure.
    thanks.

nuke

Not met him but I thought he was a Surrey Hills rider?

there is no posts to do with cycling

Maybe more interested in the debates rather than discussing the geeky aspects of frame/fork design, SSC, Fox vs RS, most suitable tyres etc etc 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

bombadillo = Stalker

vinnyeh

If you look a bit more closely, I think you'll find he does post about cycling, certainly has some sort of affiliation with Addiscombe CC.
    Probably just enjoys riding rather than having to chop and change bikes and bits every 5 minutes to account for other deficiencies.

avdave2

So if what you say is true why have you posted this in the bike forum rather than chat forum?

bombadillo
    Free Member

i asked why he did not post cycling related stuff, therefore it was a question about cycling, in a roundabout way.

and the question was for ernie.

bombadillo
    Free Member

but i now apologise to ernie, as i i found a post about latex for tyres.

avdave2

We know it was for ernie it's just that if your looking for someone it often helps to start in the place your most likely to find them. Or am I missing something?

bombadillo
    Free Member

and where would that be please.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Or am I missing something?

punctuation

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

bump in case ernie's not noticed now he's back 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don't like bikes………….don't listen to Moses.

OK, serious answer. I now almost never look at the bike/chat forum, quite simply because topics just drop off the page too quickly – often in a matter of minutes, which can make following a thread quite difficult. Shame really, because if I take the time to look at the bike forum there's often interesting stuff. I am however registered on three other bike forums – if I need to ask a bike specific question.

And yes I ride a bike, in fact I have seven working bikes. About four I regularly use. And yes I am an Addiscombe CC member, and I go on ACC bike rides most weekends.

I have no problem with the question btw, although I'm slightly mystified why anyone should be so interested as to start a whole thread about it. Thanks for the link btw SFB

Andy

Only time I have ever seen Ernie at Swinley, he has been either riding a shonky little red rock lobster with a cigarette lighter holder or an equally petitte white Canondale with one of those lefty forks. Mindyou could have been someone else – these cockneys all look the same? 😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

he has been either riding a shonky little red rock lobster with a cigarette lighter holder

Oi! Don't diss a man's wheels! He's already said he has 7 (S-E-V-E-N) bikes so he was probably slummin it innit ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ Andy !

Yes mate ….. you're confusing me with my mixed-race mouthy younger brother 🙂

DrP

Yeah – rock lobster and fags, and a cannondale with 'alf the forks missin'….

Where is that loud mawf gobby she-yite….??

[whispers] fred…. fred….[/whispers]

DrP 😉

bombadillo
    Free Member

ernie, i was just interested.
    your input in most post's is in general very good.
    i just did not know if you were a cyclist or not.

no offence ment.

avdave2

Well someone agrees with me as it appears to have moved forums. I feel a very childlike sense of vindication. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was once sniffing glue on the top deck of a bus in Oxford and saw him climbing an electricity pylon trying to retrieve a red frisbee, and that my friend is as good a reason as any as far as I'm concerned!

Andy

Ernie's bike is Sarcin…..

naokfreek
    Free Member

He's actually a butcher from Scunthorpe, as am i. Infact we work in the same butchers, selling fine cuts of octopus and have recently branched out to rock crank chocolate.

Moz loves it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

no offence meant.

No problem, no offence taken – I can assure you. And yes, those rumours as revealed by MrNutt Andy and naokfreek, are indeed shockingly all true.

And just expand on the reasons for my preference of chat over bike (although my initial attraction to STW was obviously bikes). I think it's fair to say that I am hugely content the set ups of my bikes, and furthermore I don't feel that my seven bikes don't satisfy all my needs.

However, I appreciate that this almost certainly due to the fact that I am blissfully unaware of how much I could improve them, if only I was to spend even more money on them. Keeping away from the bike forum maintains me in this blissful state of ignorance. Spending time on the bike forum would almost certainly trigger off all sorts of 'big ideas' of how I could further improve my bikes, and raise all sorts of questions concerning how am I managing without that "must have" bike.

Similarly, I find that peaking at the Merlin Cycles and On-One sites has invariably, a detrimental effect on my bank balance. Holding off getting a titanium off-road frame is my current challenge (I spent far far too much on my titanium road bike)

I also it has to be said, find arguing Boris v Ken a bit more fun than arguing 170mm cranks v 175mm cranks. And finally, I find the banter and humour on the chat forum a bit more entertaining than the stuff on the bike forum. Although I'm starting to find the "let's all laugh at fat ugly people who shop at Tesco" is becoming rather tedious.

Anyway bombadillo, now that I have answered your question candidly and comprehensively, perhaps it would be fair for you to answer my question in the same candid way : what under what username were you previously registered on here ? Do tell don't be shy ……. or do you think I should start a thread specifically to ask you the question ?

btw I found this very interesting : "your input in most post's is in general very good" as I've noticed recently that you have a predisposition to backtrack which even exceeds Hora's impressive level. IIRC, a few days ago you were suggesting that I was some sort of **** who talks mostly bollox 😕

Still, your unpredictability might make you rather interesting 8)

bullheart
    Free Member

Heh heh heh…

Now things are starting to get a little more interesting….

ton

**** me ernie…….you sound a bit miffed with someone, what gives…… 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Keeping away from the bike forum maintains me in this blissful state of ignorance.

I find a single hardtail covers my riding needs, and my interest in the machine is restricted to replacing bits that wear out :o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you sound a bit miffed with someone, what gives

well, I wonder whom ?

ton

simon, getting angry with a person cos they ask questions….why.
    if you don't ask, you don't get, surely you know that.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Addiscombe CC? – I thought you lived in Peterborough? Didn't I send you a map when you were Grizzly Gus?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simon, getting angry with a person cos they ask questions….why.

who ? ernie ? Is there any evidence of him getting angry ? He plays his cards close to his chest old ern…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you sound a bit miffed with someone

Really ? ………I'm not sure why 😕

So come on bombadillo………tell everyone which username were you previously registered under ?

Or shall I post up a thread titled "A serious question for bombadillo"….eh ?

silverpigeon – no I've never lived in Peterborough and no, you've never sent me a map …… 😕

Although I was under the impression I had once met you in a pub in London Town – or was that someone else with a similarly sounding name to 'silverpigeon' ? ….. 😕 x2

ton

ernie, it is me mate, just having a bit of fun with you, no offece mate.
    here's me thinking you were not the type to get flustered….. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah I see, you weren't serious about me being miffed then.

And no, I wasn't flustered about you suggesting that I was miffed – just surprised and slightly confused 😯

Gosh this thread is getting very confusing ……. what with discovering that someone once sent me a map when I lived in Peterborough, and I was in Oxford where I was seen retrieving a red frisbee from an electricity pylon whilst coming back from Swinley on my shonky little red Sarcin bike (?) And apparently I'm flustered about not being miffed…. 😕 x 3

Let's just hope that bombadillo can at least clear up the mystery about who he really is ……..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘A serious question for ernie lynch.’ is closed to new replies.