Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A "suggest me a new bike" thread
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

ok so ive been back into mtb for a couple of years now and have been riding an old 2nd hand 2004 enduro. Thinking this year is the time to actually splash the cash and get a new bike but with so much choice its difficult to narrow down bikes to test

I mostly ride trail centres and natrual hills I have been known to spend the odd day at the freeride areas and have done a couple of all day runs like West highland Way etc I’m planning on doing an alps trip next year and riding nevis this year.

spend limit is around 2000 for brand new bike (but i do get a 10% discount with most local bike shops through work so can push a bit)

I was thinking maybe a lapierre zesty or a commencal meta maybe a cube fritzz or stereo??

thoughts??

(I know the best thing to do is get out and test ride but with a test costing around 40 quid and you cant get every brand in one shop i’m trying to narrow the search)

LoCo
    Free Member

Cube Fritzz of the ones you’ve mentioned, was working on one yesterday (owned by one of STW regulars) really nice bit of kit and a good spec for the money too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a Zesty and a Fritzz at the moment actually. Both are great bikes, but I think I’d recommend the Cube more.

You get a lot more for your money and it’s surprisingly fast on singletrack for a 6in bike. Very versatile.

Do you live somewhere that a 6in bike would be OK for your normal riding?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

live just outside glasgow so local riding is 50/50 easy to get to decent hills but local woods are pretty easy

If it could work out i would keep the enduro for local stuff,

how stiff is the fritzz in the back end? how does it handle the ups???

chakaping
    Free Member

how stiff is the fritzz in the back end?

Very stiff, it’s got one of theose Syntace through axles. I didn’t think I’d notice the difference but I did.

how does it handle the ups???

Quite well. Certainly not a weakness.

It’s a good all rounder: pedals quite urgently, is very comfortable over rocks and descends confidently.

Probably worth getting a demo, they rent them out at Whinlatter I know.

LoCo
    Free Member

Plenty stiff enough on the back end.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

freeflow bikes in glasgow are our local dealer so prob have a chat to them, im also pretty sure that there new shop is next to the commonwealth games mtb track

rewski
    Free Member

zesty 514 is amazing, not tried cube though, have you considered ghost?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i have not considered a ghost, dont really know much about them need to go dig around see whats to be found, what dealers around me etc

the 514 zesty might just be a bit of a reach unless i can find last years bike at discount

Bregante

I’ve not ridden a Ghost but I had a look at them at one planet the other day and they look beautifully finished bikes, well specced and for not a lot of money. Thinking of getting a short travel full suss and they’re (AMR 5700??) would definitely be on the short list

DT78
    Free Member

Google canyon bikes. Seem to be ridiculously good value for money. Have yet to read a bad review yet either.

I’m seriously tempted to chop the nomad in for a strive with hammerschmidt/haven kit – at £2.5k it seems rude not to buy it…

I_Ache
    Free Member

How about a new Enduro? You can get the 2010 models really cheap if your short.

I might chop my legs off ang buy this because it is so cheap!

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Enduro-Comp-31-0-0.html

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I did consider the enduro but to me it seems like its not great value for money with all the own brand kit onboard

anyway im 6ft3″ so im not fitting on a small haha

I_Ache
    Free Member

The own brand kit is as good as the branded kit you get on other bikes. Especially the tyres and saddles. Dont let that put you off.

You can get a large for under £2k and by all accounts they are one of the best AM bikes you can get.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-100-2011-specialized-enduro-expert.html

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Check out YT Industries as well, crazy spec for the money.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

Orange five? I would suggest demoing any your interested in…

jools182
    Free Member

it maybe worth noting that the Canyon bikes have a 6 year warranty on frames

the Cube has 2

enduro-aid
    Free Member

cycleworlduk…. a five would really be up there top of the list but its just too expensive for me in comparrison to the cube etc, (i.e the s compared to the pro) i see your doing a deal on a pro but i wont be able to buy till around march / april and doubt there will still be a decent price then.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

Yep I think I’ve sold it… We sometimes sell demos cheaper….

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Im going to go with the Santa Cruz Nickel, sounds ideal.
    A little heavier than some of the competition but im no whippet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A "suggest me a new bike" thread’ is closed to new replies.