Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice on DT Swiss 440 Freeride hub
  • gothandy

I've had this hub for about 3 years, and had no problems withit, got it serviced about 3 months ago in the LBS and it felt like new again.

Since then however it's developing play, I took it back to the LBS and they said my quick release wasn't up to the job as the hub is only really held together by the pressure for the QR.

Just two rides since then the play is back. Anyone get any ideas how to fix?

radoggair
    Free Member

Buy a hope 😆

gothandy

You sure? 😉

Konastoner
    Free Member

Firstly NEVER buy a hope!!! They are 1 Loud & 2 Crap!

You have one of the best hubs around in my opinion for durability vs weight, the issue you have is the same one I had and your LBS may be correct. The way I over come it was to switch to the RWS Skewer, gives loads more tension than a standard QR. Another tip which will help is to release the chain tention when fitting i.e. place the wheel in the drop outs, remove the chain from the front rings, centre the wheel and tighten the QR, replace chain onto front rings. This ensures the wheel is dead straight in the dropouts as sometimes there can be side loading from the chain tension.

The only other thing it may be is the bearings, which will mean you will have to make a tool for the inner female star ratchet removal (Unless you have already bought one). The cheapest way to get hold of these tools is to buy a spare star ratchet for £12 and weld it on to a M20 Bolt. Change all the bearings and it'll be sorted.

gothandy

konastoner thanks for the advice, I only replaced all the bearings 3 months ago so I'm really hoping not to have to do that again!

I'll try the chain tension idea, I reckon it might just work …

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice on DT Swiss 440 Freeride hub’ is closed to new replies.