Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Advice please – car misting up.
  • fatboyjon

No smutty comments please.

Our car windows are completely misting every morning now its getting colder and take ages to clear, any hints welcome please.

Thanks all.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

When you put the fan on to demist the car open the window – works faster ans lets the moisture out.

Smee
    Free Member

Your car got air con? If so, switch it on.

seven
    Free Member

If you have Air Con apparently this helps, I've never tried it myself, but friends swear by it

tyger
    Free Member

Clean the windscreen with an alcohol based cleaner.

Not sure why this seems to be happening – just changed cars myself and got the same problem – it never happened before with any of my previous cars – strange?

BoardinBob

Clean the inside of the windows. Dirty windows steam up much more readily than clean windows.

Buy some Fog X stuff from Halfords for a couple of quid and apply it. Works a treat. It can also be used to stop sun glasses and goggles from steaming up. Hell, I even apply it to the mirrors in the bathroom so they dont steam up after a shower.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Worth checking you don't have water ingress and wet carpets. Lift your mats and check its dry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

air con works by removing the moisture so if your car will let you heaters on recirc on and aircon on (some wont let you do this) clear and dry, if not get some of those chammy style spounges

donald
    Free Member

Check the front carpet for dampness. Could be a burst heater matrix. VW Golfs used to be prone to this.

tyger
    Free Member

My car's only done 28k and new(ish) condition, it's a Ford Focus btw

bassspine
    Free Member

some Focii have electric windscreen heating. Mine doesn't, but the aircon+demist works a treat.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Again check for dampness anywhere inside the car.

BlingBling
    Free Member

1) clean windows inside
    2) Put some bags of silica gel in the door pockets.
    3) Put a tray of salt under the seat

lol

robdob
    Free Member

I know it seems obvious but check you've not left the ventilation system on recirculating instead of fresh air. We did that with our car once and it does mist up and stay misted up!!!

MoreCashThanDash

Is it an old Seat Leon? The door seals go so water seeps in and you'll not be able to demist it again from now till about May.

samuri
    Free Member

Do you turn the aircon on as suggested, it could need recharging which might explain why it's getting worse.

mandog

I'd put money on either busted heater matrix or water ingress

rolfharris
    Free Member

Anyone know what's best for this on older cars (no Aircon in Doris the Honda).

Every morning I go to her and the windows are dripping wet on the inside, then mist up a lot. This only started happening after I left some soggy kit in there for 2 days, but I've had the windows down for over 2 hours of driving and it's still moist in there.

sundaywobbler

Pollen filter might be wet? Drawing air through a wet one of those may cause the car to steam up.

But like others have said make sure all your carpets and mats are dry first.

samuri
    Free Member

but I've had the windows down for over 2 hours of driving and it's still moist in there.

FNARR!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

You can buy these little sandbag type things(great description)from Halfords et al, which you place under the seats and they absorb moisture.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Is it an old Seat Leon?

Check!

As above turning on the aircon does the biz…. right until it gets to proper winter and the VAG aircon won't come on when external temp < 5 degC

GaVgAs
    Free Member

tyger/fatboyjon

What year is the Focus? Some earlier models had the pollen filter under the front wiper trim/scuttle,If not resealed properly they would leak water into the footwell causing misting troubles.

Is the rear wiper wash working? The pipe runs down the ns front lower sill of the car and i have seen these burst or come adrift near the passenger footwell.

Has the car had any accident repairs done? Any badly fitting doors/seals/grommets will give water ingress/misting problems,as suggested above unusually wet carpets would be a possible result.

If the heater matrix has gone (higher mileage) you would notice a srong smell (coolant)A drop at the coolant level resevoir,and poor heating,Its common in engines with the wrong spec coolant corrosion Inhibitors added.

clubber
    Free Member

My 05 focus demists significantly quicker with the ac on. My 206 won't demist at all without the ac on.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

206s/306s are prone to heater matrix leaks! and bad de-misting (dash board out) 😥

saladdodger
    Free Member

auto glym screen cleaner works a beaut

ok so the screen does still mist up but clears realy quickly

rs
    Free Member

wait until the temps drop and you can scrape the ice off the inside, its excellent, it feels like its snowing in your car 😀 or do what the others say.

speaker2animals

If the car has had the windscreen replaced it may be a faulty seal. I know a couple people who's car was co
    promised once this was done. You're stuffed too as it's one of those faults that are so hard to correct.

Maybe take all carpets out and take in house to dry.

Also some of the holes that penetrate the cabin should be sealed but sometimes aren't

Hire a dehumidifier?

WTF
    Free Member

A manky pollen filter in my Vectra was a cause of not demisting.
    as it was a bit clogged up it was as though in was on recirculation mode.
    A tenner lighter and five minutes later all was well.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

havent read most of the above but damp or knackered window/door seals may be the problem, my old pug 306 was a sod in the cold weather

lodious
    Free Member

Make sure you don't have Recirculation turned on?

zaskar
    Free Member

Fords are bad for water seals leaking or letting water in.

Check all doors and window seals.

Check windows are closed fully.

Check for leaks. Keep an eye on your coolent tank.

Garage your car and see if it fogs up overnight.

Ring Ford and ask for advice.

Inbred456
    Free Member

My wife has a focus estate, no probs yet. My brother in law has a mondeo and water leaks in through the rear door. Its a well known problem. There is a panel inside the door that moves and the water coming in past the seals on the glass runs down and comes in by the inside trim panel. The rear well then fills up and it eventually runs into the front. The rear doors have to be striped and the panel put back in place. Its a real fiddle but its the only way to sort it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – car misting up.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts