• This topic has 42 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • AGRRRRR…. Ive broke another frame :O(
  • craig1975
    Free Member

well….. Ive found out the hard way that you shouldn't run 140mm Pike's on a 2008 Cove H.J. Blasting through a rooty section at mabie yesterday.. I suddenly heard a metal tubular crunchy sound… disaster!! Ive killed my Cove, that's 2 frames in 2 months 🙁 hopefully I should get my Tracer back this week

mtbfix

Just ring along? Or crashed into tree?

tails
    Free Member

If your riding that hard get a frame that can take it.

craig1975
    Free Member

i didn't crash I was riding, Ive just got rid of my chameleon Cu's it was beating me up, thing is.. I don't think I ride it that hard.

brant
    Free Member

I'll drop you a line Craig.

bigdavevw
    Free Member

Bloody ell Craig! thats a nasty one, they,re bloody strong frames too. thats not good, r u without a bike now? U are a frame breaking legend, u should get a full on downhill bike for XC 🙂

bigdavevw
    Free Member

Bloody ell Craig! thats a nasty one, they,re bloody strong frames too. thats not good, r u without a bike now? U are a frame breaking legend, u should get a full on downhill bike for XC 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

I broke a frame or I've broken a frame

Honestly…

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Blimey 😯 2 frames in 2 months! How'd you manage that, are you 30 stone or something? and/or really hitting stuff hard and fast?

nbt

brant – Member

I'll drop you a line Craig.

I was just about to say,sounds like you need a Blue Pig 🙂

They'll take 140mm pikes, that's what's on mine, and blue pigs *rock*

rootes1

see the design of that gusset did a good job – not!

Filthy
    Free Member

curtis freeride is what you need, and with free frame repair for life you cant go wrong

ianpv
    Free Member

thats a nasty one, they,re bloody strong frames too.

Really? They used to have a repuation for folding like that a couple of years ago, and even I managed to break one JRA with a 100mm fork on it. Are they that different now?

davy-g
    Free Member

what a bummer Craig…. you sure you weren't overdoing the jumps down @ Mabie skills area yesterday 😉

ton

craig, what size do you ride…..

craig1975
    Free Member

bigdavevw – alright dave…. I'm getting my rear linkage sent out to me this week so I will have my Intense finally back up and running by the weekend

Kojaklollipop – for the record I'm 6ft and 15 stone..lol as for hitting things fast and hard… at the time where it "broke"…. I was getting stuck in at what felt like reasonable pace

davy-g – I never made it to the jumps lol

hi Ton – i ride a 19"

ton

craig got a couple of 20'' frames lying about.
    have a word with brant about the blue one, he will know what i am on about.

rs
    Free Member

what have you done on the frame previously, maybe it was weakened by previous antics and then the roots finally killed it (if thats possible)

allthepies
    Free Member

surprise, surprise another folded handjob.

Trekster

bloody strong frames too

My mate broke one so they are not that good

Get a Pig

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

teatwosugars had one and broke it, I think.

IIRC Cove wouldn't honour the warranty cos he had it resprayed and that could have affected the structural integrity of the frame.

Radioman

I run a Cove handjob with Pikes. Lasted a year fine so far of hard trail riding. However its small(15 1/2") so the top tube and downtube make a nice "T" joint.

craig1975
    Free Member

cheers ton, i think a 20" is just a bit to big for me

Trekster – hi john… i'm looking into one ;O)

brant
    Free Member

yhm (again) 😉

forge197
    Free Member

not good Craig!! Still you get to buy a new frame so it's not all bad….

Kit
    Free Member

Ouch! That sucks Craig. Didn't last you long did it? 😉

Wonder what sort of abuse the previous owner had given it though. I certainly won't be riding mine with 140mm forks now anyway!

Craig bending his frame:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerfox/sets/72157622654244140/

Northwind

"surprise, surprise another folded handjob"

Yup, can't possibly have had anything to do with running forks that are too long for it can it 😉 Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand…

zaskar
    Free Member

140mm fork on 100mm fork frame? yep that will kill it!

At least it didn't snap in half downhill when you were riding.

I hope Cove don't read this if you make a claim.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Yup, can't possibly have had anything to do with running forks that are too long for it can it

Fair enough, but the other two I've seen fold weren't using long travel forks.

craig1975
    Free Member

forge197 – that was…. a new bike so to speak, i'm looking at a couple of frames…. a pig or a HX1 😉

kit – must be a record of some kind I had it 3 weeks lol

zaskar – its a 2008 version which can take up to 130mm forks, I naively thought another 10mm wouldn't make much of a difference but it was always at the back of my mind…..

I bought it second hand and got it re-powder coated, I'm sure a bit of everything had to do with it's death

What other frames have you killed?

jedi

thats a frontal impact crumple no?

craig1975
    Free Member

Brant – many thanks 😉

mike-at-dialledbikes – I cracked the rear chain-stay on my Intense Tracer VP a couple of months ago, I have no idea how that one happened

brant
    Free Member

Craig – I'm on it – will try to get it off to you by the end of the week.

forge197
    Free Member

sorry didn't realise that was a nearly new one….oops

craig1975
    Free Member

forge197 – na wasn't a new bike….. very much second hand but new to me

Radioman

This post is worrying me. Surely 10mm extra travel on a fork cant make that much difference? I thought Pikes axle/crown wasnt that long despite being 140mm. I thought other forks like 130mm old style Marzocchis were longer in axle/crown length anyway.

I certainly am not the smoothest rider and sometimes land a little heavy(I weigh 82kg) but no sign of damage on my bike yet. Maybe the frame had already suffered when you bought it? Anyway maybe i need to by a dialled Bikes Alpine? I dont want the Cove HJ snapping on me!

Richyb
    Free Member

Good grief, remind me to never go near a Cove.

grantway
    Free Member

Well oddjob I think he is broke as hes broken the frame

walleater

Handjobs are skinny frames for skinny riders.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘AGRRRRR…. Ive broke another frame :O(’ is closed to new replies.