Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Aircraft appreciation thread
  • jwr

Woosh:

Typhoon heading towards space by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Big:

B52 static display by jwrfooo, on Flickr

mr_krabs
    Free Member

super guppy is rather impressive and incredibly ugly

richmtb

Most successful fighter ever made

anjs
    Free Member
    wes
    Free Member

Just because flying one is almost better than sex… 😳

nickc

Right Lightning buffs; just off the phone from the old man trying to pin this down. In his words they were operationally limited to about 1.7 mach simply because the airflow around the nose cone could get all (something technical…) and it could damage the engines. Apparently acceleration was the thing rather than flat out speed… He reckoned the fastest he ever went was about mach 2 in the winter (again for some technical reason about dense air?) sorry, I tried to pay attention, but it’s mostly Greek to me…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Really? No one going for the P51b Mustang?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My brother in law made a bit of mess with a F15

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?81457-F-15E-Crash-at-RAF-Lakenheath

Well, clearly not his fault, was there a skip nearby?

stumpy01

CharlieMungus – Member

Well, I went for the ‘d’ – see page one. Is that close enough?? 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

Loads of great stuff up there
    andituk – thanks for the Warthog – I was entering this thread thinking i’d have to go find a picture but no, beaten too it! In my old plane spotting days I was at a club where they had a crew in doing a presentation – think I was around 13-14 at the time… looong time ago
    F15 – lovely bird – at it’s inception it was the only plane to be able to accelerate whilst in a vertical climb.. 😯

Actually it was Lairyplanes that got me into photography, a long, long time ago…an uncle worked for BAE, we went to few air-shows with him – great memories of getting a ‘boost’ to try and see things by standing on his aluminium case after he’d put his old screw thread Pentax together….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Well, I went for the ‘d’ – see page one. Is that close enough??

the ‘D’? F**king splitters!

PJM1974
    Free Member

BTW, there is a story of a Lightning “kill” – the only one during it’s thirty year career – the victim being a Harrier which had gotten into trouble over Germany resulting in the pilot ejecting. Apparently the pilotless Harrier continued on it’s wobbly course and a Lightning on patrol was vectored in to bring it down before the errant jump-jet crashed somewhere in densely populated Holland.

Can anyone add any credence to this?

hughjengin
    Free Member

+1 for the SR71, boys own stuff, and it did nothing more scary and destructive than take a few “holiday pictures”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pah! Mass-produced rubbish. The P47 Thunderbolt was a far better plane!

(OK, maybe it was a little pricey though)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Vulcan and spitfire just ‘cos they are beautiful. No other aircraft comes close IMO – ecept perhaps the concorde

But the one I would have loved to fly in is

Now thats when flying was luxury

And of course the one that was noever built!

Designed in 1929, the “Flying Hotel” was the most luxuriant airplane ever thought up. Designed for the 1040s, it was planned to have:
    Main Lounge 36 ft high, 9 decks, 3 Kitchens, 13 pantries, writing rooms, 2 public dining rooms, (the main dining room converts into a dance floor for 100 couples), orchestra platform, 3 private dining rooms capable of feeding 40 people, 4 deck tennis courts, 6 shuffle board courts, 6 quoits pitches, library, 1 gym with dressing rooms and showers, 1 men’s Solarium w/16 couches and a masseur, 1 womens Solarium w/16 couches and a masseuse, 1 children’s playroom, 1 doctors office with waiting room, barber shop, hairdressers salon, 2 bars, 1 store, 1 huge promenade deck, 1 Veranda Cafe seats 90, 18 single state rooms, 81 double state rooms, 24 suites w/ baths, 179 sleeping rooms, air-conditioning through out, and 155 crew members, from cooks to bus boys

organic355
    Free Member

MtbCol
    Free Member

One of my favorites the fantastic Mossie!

Admiralable
    Free Member

Jimbo wins IMO!

Kato

Wins!

richcc
    Free Member

Always SR71 for me. Read somewhere about crew setting a couple of speed records – just because – on its retirement flight.

For looks I always used to like F16. Just a nicer looking plane than F15 and F18 of similar period

Saw Typhoon in action at this year’s Moto GP and that thing was impressive

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

What about this chap? Beautiful, I reckon.

I’d like one of these:

gusamc
    Free Member

can’t do photos, but, afer a nice Berks bimble me and gf got (later than expected – thanks punctures, no really, THANKS punctures) to White Waltham airfield, and wandered in. mmmmm – that’s a Hurricane over there (30 yds), blimey that’s a Spitfire behind it, I could have walked up and touch them, no crowds, nothing. Anyway we sat outside, admired the view and ordered lunch, generally enjoyed the ambience – sunny, a little windy, very few people around, Anway a few chaps in overalls came out of the clubhouse, chatted, and then walked over to the planes, some tyre kicking, CRACKING engine noise, then they both taxied together,along the grass, to runway, for a truly glorious moment I though they we’re going side by side, but the Hurricane went first, then Spitfire, the noise was awesome, up, bank right, circle round and then waggling wings over the field, absolutely directly above us – fully side on, felt like 100 ft but I suspect it was higher.

To cap it all the bloke next to me was a spotter and he mailed me a cd of the entire sequence.

happy days

Rich_s

BTW, there is a story of a Lightning “kill” – the only one during it’s thirty year career – the victim being a Harrier which had gotten into trouble over Germany resulting in the pilot ejecting. Apparently the pilotless Harrier continued on it’s wobbly course and a Lightning on patrol was vectored in to bring it down before the errant jump-jet crashed somewhere in densely populated Holland

The Harrier story I’m aware of (I think I read the accident report BITD on a RAF base somewhere) was one on a test flight. There was a seat malfunction and the pilot was ejected and unfortunately killed. The Harrier flew on and something was scrambled to intercept and the cockpit was empty, canopy blown out, etc. I wasn’t aware it was shot down though – maybe it’s a different example? Will have a google…

beamers

gusamc – awesome. Got those pics on this thread.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My boss used to work on the same base as Lightnings, apparently one had a runaway engine situation that the pilot could not shut down and as the speed was picking up quickly he was ordered to eject. After ejecting it carried on in level flight reaching some very large mach numbers (which were quickly classified “and no don’t ask again sonny”) before crashing in the sea.

He also tells a story of the Vulcan that the apprentice nearly backflipped off the maintenace jacks whilst trying to be clever with the undercarriage…….eek.

molgrips
    Free Member

the single greatest british invention

Don’t talk crap.

I saw the F35 display at Farnborough, albeit only from a distance. It was unbelievable, as was the noise. Like tearing the very fabric of the universe apart along with the rules of physics.

I saw the Typhoon to but it wasn’t quite as good 🙂

Kato

ooooooh TSR-2 eh Ming?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

grantway
    Free Member

Harrier Jump jet!!

markfu
    Free Member

The mighty PR-9 Canberra

Best part of my Army career so far was spent working on 39 Sqn with these great recce aircraft.

Jimbo
    Free Member

I saw the F35 display…

Has the US-made F-35 displayed anywhere in the world, yet?

Bunnyhop

Even though my favourite is Concorde, I’m loving the Dakota DC3 ^^^. One flew over us when riding Rivington pike a few months ago, so low we saw the pilots.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for TSR2, my old chap worked on that too.

Apparently the prototype left it’s Lightning chase plane standing during an early acceleration test, no mean feat by any standards, let alone those of a heavy strike jet.

Sonor
    Free Member

mrchrispy

anyone else making plane noises to themselves while looking at these pics?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Apparently the prototype left it’s Lightning chase plane standing during an early acceleration test, no mean feat by any standards, let alone those of a heavy strike jet.

The only thing faster was the axe wielded by the politicians.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@Jimbo that’s very true.

In 1965, Britain was skint and went cap in hand to the World Bank. America threatened to veto loans unless the British government cancelled TSR2, which itself was an export threat to the F-111 and F-4.

Britain had at this point agreed to sell Lightnings to the Luftwaffe who were extremely keen to get them. The Germans backed out when the British government agreed to the sale, but warned that it could not guarantee spare parts – again, after pressure from the Americans.

redthunder
    Free Member

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got lots of fond memories of this old girl:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Aircraft appreciation thread’ is closed to new replies.