Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Alfine Hub Maintenance
  • rockitman

I've had it on the bike for a few months now. Seems to be running OK, but I've not touched it maintenance wise. Is there anything I should be doing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My understanding is that it is not essential – its supposed to be greased for life. However there is an oil bath available for nexus hubs which will work with alfines as well – use that and it needs an annual lube.

I will go for the oil bath and annual lubes I think with mine

If you find out any more than post it up please. Parts 49-51 on this
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/WH/EV-WH-S500-V-8D-2671A_v1_m56577569830638027.pdf

swampi
    Free Member

i have 2 alfine's, first one i used for 2 years with no servicing,then watched 18 bikes in hope strip it and oil dip it, runs much nicer now,lots less friction and changes are smoother, the kit from shimano consisting of a plastic tub and a litre of blue oil is £60, you will also ideally need the alfine tool for removing the lockring

fisha
    Free Member

i just got an alfine hubbed bike and on speaking to the shop, they say that unless your hammering it in all out grime and the worst of conditions, an annual service ( basically a re-lube ) is all you need for 1000's of miles.

rockitman

Thanks guys. Just didn't want to get halfway through Mayhem solo and it to seize!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Alfine Hub Maintenance’ is closed to new replies.