Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Alternative forks for a Cotic Roadrat
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Looking at my Roadrat last night and the standard forks are sinfully ugly.

Any suggestions for alternatives for using discs only other than Kinesis DC19’s

Cheers

Ken

Onzadog
    Free Member

Kona p2

Vortexracing

I’m sure I have seen someone with some Pace RC31’s on it.

The other alternative is to see if Cy from Coti will sell the X forks seperatley

hoojum
    Free Member

Another vote for the P2’s. I’ve seen one running with P2’s and it did look way better than the fugly Cotic forks. That said I’ve got used to mine now and quite like the forward facing disc mount.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve been searching on eBay for months for a cross fork. Apart from P2s and carbon mtb stuff very little comes up. I got some 800gm 400mm P2s this week-pretty rare, they are usually longer and 1100gm. I own some DC19s and they are great btw but might look odd.

A year ago I scoured the web for light disc cross forks and found about 10 – I can find the list for you if you want?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Cheers Al that would be great.

I have a pair of dc19s on my Major Jake so I think I may try those or at least do a bit of a measure up and test fit to get an idea of what will work

mrcamel
    Free Member

singular peregrine forks, ace! running a pair on my pompino and theyre lovely…

simon1975

Pompino “Pompetamine” disc fork not particularly pretty nor lightweight but works for me!

Salsa’s “La Cruz” looks good and is listed with Ison as available in March; and here if they’ve got stock http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b104s29p7093&rs=gb

mtbmatt
    Free Member

P2 700c fork on mine. Works fine, same sizing as the Roadrat fork.

scruff
    Free Member

Why are folk changing ‘Rat forks, just the looks or for weight / comfort or what ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Looking at my Roadrat last night and the standard forks are sinfully ugly.

a moot point surely?

BadlyWiredDog

Why are folk changing ‘Rat forks, just the looks or for weight / comfort or what ?

I’d change mine for the comfort and to save a bit of weight if I went carbon. Standard Rat fork was beefed up after a recall, I think, and is relatively heavy and a little harsh. Non-plussed by the aesthetics thing also, but I guess if folk want to improve the way the bike looks to them, then fair enough.

woody2000

DC19’s on mine. Suits the black and white scheme nicely, definitely helped with comfort – they seem to have a bit of flex that the standard fork didn’t have (in a good way)

BadlyWiredDog

DC19’s on mine. Suits the black and white scheme nicely, definitely helped with comfort – they seem to have a bit of flex that the standard fork didn’t have (in a good way)

Are you running discs with those? Is the geometry unchanged? Thanks.

woody2000

Yes, can’t say I noticed a change in geometry/handling but it’s a flat bar/commuting type set-up so probably not so noticeable anyway. One thing to note – I couldn’t refit my mudguard easily (SKS chromplastic jobby) due to the mounts being in an odd spot on the DC19.

ken_shields
    Free Member

BWD DC19’s are disc only

As I said earlier I might try the pair I have on my cx bike on the Roadrat and either get another pair for the Roadrat or nicer disc only forks for the cx bike

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks guys.

simon1975

I remember a discussion on here about a Boardman carbon fork available through Halfords but only if you can find someone to order you one in specially…

This one?
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_502577_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

duntmatter
    Free Member

Someone’s got a load of croix de fer forks on fleabay at the mo. About £50 a pop.

ken_shields
    Free Member

DC19 forks trial fit

Original Roadhog forks

DC19’s (whick look rather good even though I say so myself)

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’ve got Pace RC31’s on mine.

They weigh about a 3rd of the RoadHog fork!

Can’t fit a mudguard though 🙁

MM

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Changed my fork (and wheels for that matter) for the sake of Geometry. Here’s it without a disc-rotor or innertube.

Before:

After:

ourmaninthenorth

The other alternative is to see if Cy from Coti will sell the X forks seperatley

Given the bashing they got in the road.cc review of the >X<, I’d say they probably wouldn’t be a good bet (though using dics may avoid their issues).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Trigon do a full carbon disc-only fork that is quite tidy. A2C is 415mm and it’s about 550g I think.

The first company to make a disc-only full carbon fork with a A2C of 390-400mm to fit std road bikes is going to make a killing.

Also Boardman/Halfords will sell you one of the carbon forks from a Boardman hybrid for £200. Has a alu steerer but is quite handsome.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Reggie
    I was just looking at the trigon ones on fleabay. They do look rather tidy. I was weighing up the risk of ordering from tiawan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be concerned re. ordering from abroad, had p[lenty good experiences.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I bought the Trigon forks/fork a while back (Ebay from Taiwan, as you suggest) thinking they were 395mm A2C (that’s what they said…) but when they arrived they were 415mm. I very nearly kept them as they were light and well made/finished but I decided not to in the end as 415 was just a bit too long. Nice forks though.

Like I said, if they were 400mm A2C it would be a no-brainer, as our yank cousins might say

ken_shields
    Free Member

I fancy a set of these on the left

cynic-al
    Free Member

£££!!!! IIRC?

I think maybe Voodoo or someone did something that Tim @ Sideways could get or had some knocking around, may be worth asking?

ken_shields
    Free Member

$210 (£130ish) is the cheapest I can find them so not that bad

cynic-al
    Free Member

That include shipping and tax?

Where?

ken_shields
    Free Member

From Tree Fort Bikes although they don’t appear to have any in stock and it doesn’t include shipping or coming into the UK add ons

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool ta. I’d guess that could add 50% on.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Al, I’ve mailed them to get a date for restocking and to see if they’ll ship to the UK

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool, will be interested to hear outcome.

My P2s arrived yesterday…claimed weight(packaging) 795gm

actual weight…1147gm

😐

ken_shields
    Free Member

claimed weight(packaging) 795gm……actual weight…1147gm

That’s a 44% increase 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ken! Fookers!

I did check with the guy before I BIN’d…could be interesting trying to get a refund

ken_shields
    Free Member

Tree Fort bikes don’t ship internationally 🙁

On the plus side Billy’s in Cambridge list them as a special order item for £270

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=fkwi-carbx-d

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Alternative forks for a Cotic Roadrat’ is closed to new replies.