Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Any Brighton/Hove riders out there?
  • newgal
    Free Member

Evening all…

This site has been recommended by my big bro so thought I’d give it a whirl and see where I get. I’ve got me a bike, and lots of enthusiasm, am just a little clueless about where and whom to go riding with as I’m fairly new to the area. Can’t say that I’ve got all the skills, but – anyone out there willing to show me the ropes? In exchange for some wit and local wisdom I’ll buy the cake…

lardman
    Free Member

well… i dont get out on the bike that much at the moment, BUT i do know nearly all the trails round here pretty well. If i am planning a spin, i will mail you. Or if you send me an e-mail i can give you some route options to explore.
    I’m just off Ditchling Road, and most of the trails start up the hill a bit from me.

Try Rayments on a shop night ride (if you have lights) or else go to brighton mtb for some more organized ride options.

spooky_b329

We are leading a Sussex Muddyarse ride on the South Downs later this month, my girlfriend will be there and we ride at at the pace of the slowest…and we are all pretty laid back in terms of speed. (which is a good thing as sometimes we have 30+ riders so it will never be fast) Being a South Downs ride it will be fairly easy going with little in the way of technical sections so a good introduction to the club.

There is usually coffee and cakes at the end as well. All very informal, no officialdom or fees, just let us know your coming on the forum. (oh, better mention the only real rule is to bring a helmet)

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Sussex_Muddyarse/index.php?showtopic=2354 (I’m Ollie on that forum)

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Another vote for Brighton mtb and the muddy @rsers, both very friendly, although the M@ would be more suitable for newcomer to mtb’ing. I live next to hove park so I’m quite happy to show you some local goodies. I plan on being at spooky’s ride aswell.

wwaswas

As above – Brighton-mtb good (getting on their forum’s a tad difficult due to a ‘no riff-raff’ policy which relies on the main forum guy shaking your hand and lookign you in the eye to make sure you won;t cause trouble) also have a look at questadventure in worthing – they do a monthly ‘girls’ ride.

I know it’s difficult, sometimes, for women just to ‘go out and ride’ due to safety concerns (my wife won’t run off road solo on the Downs) but I’d also recommend getting an OS map, markign all the bridleways with a yellow highlighter and going out and riding a few of them. At this time of year sticking to ‘up top’ (the sdw and other ‘tops of the hills stuff’ will get you the least muddy ride but the stuff through stanmer’s fairly good if you don’t mind wet roots.

Of course, tonight at -3 you coudl ride anywhere and it’s like summer under your tyres 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

I’d like to big up the Sussex MTB lot as well – I went out with some of them much earlier in the year, and they were very hospitable.

Newgal; do you have some basic skills? Tyre changing, that sort of thing? Just checking… 😀

newgal
    Free Member

Well see, petesgaff; I’ve always been lucky enough to have my very own personal bike mechanic in the past – but I’m feeling its now time to put my very own Haynes manual to good use….unless you’re offering?!

chiefgrooveguru

Brighton here too – often ride with the Brighton MTB crowd. Live near the edge of Stanmer and work flexible hours so always up for leading/joining a jaunt round there, whatever the weather and whoever the company (within reason – no riff raff!) I think my email’s in my profile…

leystan
    Free Member

+1 endorsement for Brightonmtb (though you can’t go far wrong with any of the above!) but ignore the “riff-raff” nonsense. They’re incredibly welcoming of anyone. There’s a night ride every Thu + regular daytime jaunts at the weekends. Check the site for details.

newgal
    Free Member

ellsy
    Free Member

I ride with and can recommend the Brighton Explorers. They run 3 rides a week from different start points in the Brighton / Hove area – mainly a mix of downland trails or singletrack, depending on who is leading. Some of the rides are suitable for beginners. They are a friendly and welcoming bunch.

http://www.brightonexplorers.org/index.php?inc=Cycling

wwaswas

ignore the “riff-raff” nonsense

sorry, I should have put a 😉 next to it 🙂

It was really a reference to the fact you can only join their online community by going on a ride and making yourself known to the bloke who polices the forum rather than any particular need to be from the right part of the city. I don’t think riff-raff ride mtb’s, in any event, certainly not in the South East.

Not seen the Brighton explorers before looks like they do some pretty varied stuff.

woodsman
    Free Member

If you’re a real beginner there is a group called Seahaven or Cycle Seahaven who have regular varied ability rides (graded). They are Seaford based but ride from Lewes, and into Stanmer frequently, a few women inc my gf ride with them. Also, as mentioned Brighton Explorers are a solid bunch, although they have a joining fee before you can ride, which I think is a bit odd, not cheap at about 45 quid. If you have limited transport and really just want to stay in the Brighton and Hove area, those are the two I’d suggest.

All the groups mentioned are good though, just not as beginner or location focused as the above. I ride with them all. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

ignore the “riff-raff” nonsense. They’re incredibly welcoming of anyone

I’m riff-raff and they let me ride with em 😉

Sign up with the Muddy@rses! Seeing as no-one else has linked: http://sussexmuddyarse.wordpress.com/

spooky_b329

Thanks Dez 🙂 I linked to the forum and normally forget the blog 🙂

A medley smiley faces from the club…

DezB
    Free Member

Now you’ve made it look too serious 🙂

ellsy
    Free Member

regarding the Brighton Explorers membership – it is £40 for a year and does seem a lot! However, as it is a multi-activity club, this means that you dont have to spend money to try an activity such as caving, climbing or kayaking as they have all the gear to lend to club members.
    There are also some very nice Exposure lights available for lending on night rides as well!

There are also loads of club discounts from local outdoor shops / bike shops and this alone is worth the membership fee for me.

wwaswas

ellsy – do they do any off road running type stuff?

My wife loves running but won’t go out on the Downs solo and can’t find anyone to run with.

ellsy
    Free Member

wwaswas – no, running isn’t an official club activity. Has she tried asking in the Jog Shop on George St – I think they do off-road organised runs on Sunday mornings?

wwaswas

thanks – I’ll point her at them – she’ll have to phone them – going in sets her asthma off as it’s a bit, erm, ‘dampish’ smelling.

newgal
    Free Member

Spooky and DezB, thank you – I’m in for the ride on 19th with you guys. Any chance I can drag my brother along for some moral support?!

spooky_b329

Yep, everyone is welcome newgal 🙂 And don’t be put off by the airborne bikes…we have a few nutters but most of us rarely leave the ground 🙂

django
    Free Member

i fancy a ride but feel a bit young to head out with the brighton mtb/muddyarse guys, only 24! probably a bit silly. this is probably a bit silly, right?

bigben69
    Free Member

I`ve just bought and built my first MTB bike so need to get out and meet some new people,… sussexmuddyarse looks a good bunch!! just had a look @ your website.. I could be interested in the ride on the 19th, only that the link on goggle map puts me out in the Irish sea…,?? I live just outside Worthing, where is the meet..??
    Cheers!

spooky_b329

Link fixed, the ride is leaving from the back of Peacehaven. We ride from a different place each month.

django, that is a bit silly 🙂 My gf and myself are late 20’s, and most of the others do not act their age anyway 😉

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

are you saying we’re immature ollie? I’ll get hobbz to crash into your wheels again for that 😉

spooky_b329

Its ok…don’t need a new set yet thanks!

wwaswas

feel a bit young to head out with the brighton mtb/muddyarse guys, only 24!

I’m sure they’ll wait for you at the top of the hills…

It’s all about enjoying riding bikes and getting out in the countryside, I’m not sure there’s a demographic for that.

Go along once and if you don’t like riding with that particular group (for whatever reason), well, then you’ve not lost much?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yep, everyone is welcome newgal And don’t be put off by the airborne bikes…we have a few nutters but most of us rarely leave the ground

I resemble that remark! 😉

belugabob
    Free Member

Newgal,

The Muddy@rses cover a wide range of ages, genders, abilities, professions, hairstyles (and even species – you know who you are!), so no need to worry about fitting in.
    You’ll be made perfectly welcome (especially if you bring cakes) and you’ll be aided, encouraged and cajolled into your first muddy grin (and possibly @rse)

Personally, I’m 48 on the outside and 12 and a half on the inside.

Just a few things that you may not have considered…

[list][*]If you’re travelling to the start point by car, bring some clean clothes and shoes for the drive home – introducing your car seat to your muddy@rse is not a good idea.
    [/*][*]Bring some snacks for the ride – energy/cereal bars, fruit, sarnies – whatever is quick and easy to eat during a 10 minute stop.
    [/*][*]Bring some water – you can dehydrate, even on wet ground.[/*][*]A spare inner tube is a good idea – swapping a tube is much quicker and less fiddly than trying to fix a puncture on the trail.[/*][/list]

See you there!

Ollie – nice work with the montage!

chiefgrooveguru

As I said on t’other thread, I’ll be riding in Stanmer this Sat, 1015 onwards, happy to lead a group round if anyone wants to join me. Slow uphill, fast downhill!

newgal
    Free Member

Also just seen that there is shop ride at Quest Adventure in Worthing this Saturday at 10am…anyone know what the standard is like on these rides and routes that they take?

chiefgrooveguru

I think bigsi on here will be on the Quest ride – my guess is that it’s pretty accessible, all the Sussex MTBers I’ve ridden with are very easy-going and not at all competitive, and thus fun to ride with – but you could always drop him an email: http://www.singletrackworld.com/members/bigsi/profile/

django
    Free Member

feel a bit young to head out with the brighton mtb/muddyarse guys, only 24!

I’m sure they’ll wait for you at the top of the hills…

It’s all about enjoying riding bikes and getting out in the countryside, I’m not sure there’s a demographic for that.

Go along once and if you don’t like riding with that particular group (for whatever reason), well, then you’ve not lost much?

wwaswas: ouch. anyway, i didn’t mean it like that! i’m sure the guys are very fit indeed.

only meant that i might not fit right in but, like i said, probably being silly.

now if i come for a ride i’m gonna be in trouble for calling everyone old, oh dear! 😐

guru: i’m up for a ride saturday. where in stanmer will you start?

chiefgrooveguru

django: I’ll be entering the park at the Upper Lodges at 1015 so could meet you there then, or at 1030 down at the Sports Centre car park (once I’ve already got muddy). Drop me an email (in profile) and we can sort out a plan of attack!

wwaswas

now if i come for a ride i’m gonna be in trouble for calling everyone old

I wouldn’t worry, really 🙂

django
    Free Member

now if i come for a ride i’m gonna be in trouble for calling everyone old

I wouldn’t worry, really

hahaha you’re gonna lynch me, aren’t you? 😉

bigben69
    Free Member

Newgal, Ive never riden with Quest, but Ive been told they split the group depending on abilities, numbers. like most groups that go out it`s all about fun…. I was going to go but now got to work…
    I`ll be @ the other ride on the 19th..

newgal
    Free Member

So I braved the Quest ride and survived, huzzah! A good ride and pretty much kept up with the boys 😀 Never knew some of those trails existed….thanks muchly.

Spooky – will the ride on Sunday still go ahead if its been snowing? Just checking out various forecasts…

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

It’s probably got more chance of going ahead if it’s snowing!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Any Brighton/Hove riders out there?’ is closed to new replies.