Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any carpenters?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I fancy a career change. I’d love to work for a timber framer, and have sent a few emails off to the local businesses. Has anyone on here done this, perhaps by serving an apprenticeship somewhere? A bit of web searching suggests apprenticeships are much more favourable towards 16-19 year olds – I’m 24 🙁
    Cheers

TheBrick
    Free Member

25 is the age limit for an apprenticeship so try and and get one ASAP

Taff
    Free Member

where are you based and who have you applied to?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Leeds, have written to one in Leeds and one near Thirsk. Anywhere in North/West Yorkshire would be ok.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d love to work for a timber framer

If you want to be a carpenter you need to be able to do more than just knock boxes together. Timber frame erection is hard work which should pay reasonable money, but it’s fairly low skill. If you want to learn how to second fix then a timber frame company isn’t going to be much help to you. I have done erections and second fix on the same site, but that was only because the main contractor wasn’t subbing any carpentry work out – which is extremely usual.

I’m afraid that now is a very bad time to try to get into the industry. It’s hard enough for skilled tradesmen to get a start, so I don’t reckon the chances of anyone getting an apprenticeship very highly.

Besides, employers prefer to take on fully trained eastern European labour than teach young unemployed British school-leavers.

Sorry to sound so grim but the situation is dire. And with the social housing budget slashed by 60%, the freezing of all school building, the slashing of other capital projects, low mortgage availability because of job insecurity and unemployment, things can only get worse – expect very little activity in construction until at least well pass the next general election.

But if you are still determined (and there’s no evidence other sectors will fare much better) then good luck. And let us know if you manage to get a breakthrough.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would love to learn some proper woodcraft skills. Y’know, proper stuff like making dovetail joints, inlay work, old fashioned skills. Can you teach me please Ernie?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just practice making coffee tables out of 8×4 sheets of plywood Elfinman ……you’ll soon get the hang of it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m going to start work on a prototype any day now. I’m thinking of doing minature versions, as A) I have no space in my flat, and B) it’s far cheaper and not a disaster if it goes wrong.

In fact I may make a Doll’s house. 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing minature versions

Yeah, a miniature coffee table for your doll’s house sounds like a good idea.

That should give you a good grounding in carpentry, should you ever decide to make a career out of it.

Have you got an extensive doll collection ?

waynekerr
    Free Member

Carpenters paint cars 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have you got an extensive doll collection ?

No.

Maybe I should get some?

Will Star wars Figures suffice?

Or Lego minifigs? I’ve got lots of those.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can it get any better??

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I could lend you my trolls Elf. They used to live in a lovely Victorian dolls house but apparently it was overcrowded and the houses needed modernising. However since they were evicted they have not been offer end another place to live. I think some dodgy developer bought it up

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, that might be a very good idea, TJ. Would look a bit quirky and fun, anyway. And what with these ConDem cuts and unscrupulous developers doing whatever they please, the poor Trolls will need housing of some sort. Will they need to claim Housing Benefit? They’ll need to get all their forms sorted. I’m pretty sure you can get a Norwegian translation if necessary.

Should have a prototype done by the end of the week. going to use thin MDF, as it’s very easy to cut to shape, yet quite stiff and sturdy. Going to work on a 1:5 scale for some things, but perhaps a 1:10 scale for the dolls house furniture, otherwise it’ll be bloomin’ massive.

Would the Trolls be looking for traditional style housing, or a more contemporary style? Is there a requirement for disability access?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mowgli I’ve started another thread here, in case you’re still checking for answers :

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/apprenticeship-for-mowgli?replies=1#post-2221715

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any carpenters?’ is closed to new replies.