Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any deals on motorbike / heavy duty linked bike chain/locks/
  • juiced
    Free Member

Hi I am after something heavy duty to wrap around street furniture. Wondered if anyone knows of a good value lock. I’ve currently got a motorbike chain which is ace, but want another different branded one. Pretty flexible on length etc as long as it’s not massively expensive.

Any ideas welcome including heavy duty cycle chains.
    Thanks 🙂

dustypumpkins

Not sure if it’s any use at all but I got an Oxford motorbike chain lock from TkMaxx for not very much. No idea if they’d still have them but it may be worth a look.

jay_tht
    Free Member

Might be worth having a look here not sure how much you want to spend so might not be what you looking for.

http://www.torc-anchors.com/index.php

Northwind

Most of them are pretty rubbish… What are you actually wanting to deter against? The cheaper ones (Oxford in particular) can still mostly be cut with compact bolt cutters, the bigger ones usually fairly large ones, then the best like Almax and the big Pragmasis are cropper proof, takes hydraulics or noisy attacks to break them. But on the downside are expensive and HUGE.

The cheap Oxfords are a fairly reasonable low-security lock as long as it’s cheap, they’re not too heavy and will protect you from the lowest level knobbers unlike cable locks etc. But anyone who wants the bike will still walk away with it in about 20 seconds.

D-lock is best if that’ll fit round your street furniture of choice.

superfli
    Free Member

Also depends on how you use the lock. If you can raise the chain/lock away from the ground, then it limits what the thief can get leverage against when using cutters.

Northwind

It needs to be right high off the ground, 2 foot or more, for that to work if it’s being attacked with a big cutter… I had a wee go at this on the Almax stand at the NEC bike show a few years back (before Motrax and Oxford told the organisers that if Almax were allowed to exhibit again they’d pull their stands) and cut a link off a sold-secure gold, thatcham, top-end Oxford with the tip of the handle on the ground but the blades in the air…

The trouble with pushbikes is, if you’re stealing it for the components then the frame soon becomes easier to break than the lock. Likewise the street furniture.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. It’s only to secure a cheap mongoose hack bmx. But it will be left in a shopping area until late at night.And I really hate theives! and still love my hack bmx! Think I will stick with my D locks and try to find a cycle stand to lock them too. I have since seen 8mm Oxford chains on amazon for cheap for £20. That’s the sort of thing I am after. However I am glad I now have some info about this.

Thanks everyone. esp. Northwind!

juiced
    Free Member

Northwind would you consider an 1.5 metre oxford with 8mm links as in ‘the heavy but okish’ camp or the ‘cheap easily cut camp’. It will be used with another similiar item of a different same brand.If need be I’ll stick with the D locks, and the a ok mtb that’s the way i’d go. However life would be simpler if i could use a lampspost for the bmx as I can lock it to more.

carlos
    Free Member

Aldi are doing motorcycle locks again £9.99

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17788.htm

No idea on quality

juiced
    Free Member

cheers Carlos. Just the ticket. 🙂

Northwind

juiced – Member

Northwind would you consider an 1.5 metre oxford with 8mm links as in ‘the heavy but okish’ camp or the ‘cheap easily cut camp’.

It’s too small a link to be strong (and if it’s hardened, it’ll be brittle). Small pocketable boltcutters will break it and any thief that doesn’t have a set of those is in the wrong trade. But it ought to fend off pliars and tin snips which is all that’s needed for most cable locks so it could stop some.

Realistically it’ll be one step up from a cable though and it’ll put kids off. Though a determined chav might be able to break it with a brick or similiar. The Aldi one’s probably very similiar, monkey metal chain with a big soft weld on it. Sounds like either could be suitable for you at a sensible price, you wouldn’t want to lock up a thousand pound bike with them.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers think i’ll use a couple of the aldi ones if i can get some and a similar to aldi but different branded one i have aleady.

Thanks for your advice, much appriecated.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any deals on motorbike / heavy duty linked bike chain/locks/’ is closed to new replies.