Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anybody using Superstar wheels or hubs?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Need a new hub and wondering what opinions were on these having heard mixed reviews of SC stuff in the past.

gamo
    Free Member

Steven ygm.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Only heard good stuff. They cocked up the PR about some dodgy brake discs a few years back and have been punished ever since. Top kit.

downgrade
    Free Member

Mmm shiny hubs

Only done a few miles so nothing useful to add except they look awesome (to me anyway)

Hubba hubba by Michael (ffcnimmo), on Flickr

Doug
    Free Member

Got some Enduro rims on Switch hubs that I’ve been running for DH duties on both a big FS and AM on a 456 since spring. No issues so far and still true with no adjustment. Hubs seem pretty well made and easy to service.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cool, liking the easy to service part.

Bregante

My AM rims on switch hubs arrived yesterday. at £160 for the pair they look a well made wheelset but not ridden them yet as they form part of my plan to rejuvinate my enduro. Just bought lyrik u-turns too

ononeorange

I’m looking at pair of Superstar wheels too – possibly the Superlegerra Tech 2. Has anyone yet tried to replace bearings in a superstar hub? Does it require special tools?

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got two sets of SS wheels, on tech 2 hubs, lasting nicely. Very happy, cheap and serviceable, better than the Hope Pro2 shite I’ve got on the other bike.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

One of my riding pals has had nothing but trouble with a back hub, the bearings seem very poor quality.

Stick with Hope…

toys19
    Free Member

yeah bearings can be replaced, so surely SS’s bearings can only be blamed for any trouble once?

Nothing but trouble

implies further problems, so what are these caused by, or are SS hub bearings homeopathic? 😀

wors

Got mine (tech 2 switch) a couple of weeks ago. No problems, they look fantastic. Ordered monday night, turned up wednesday morning. Brilliant.

peachos
    Free Member

own a set of old style switch hubs with spank spike rims which they sold to me for £160 a few months ago. build quality seems ok, but had to re-tension the spokes already (comparing this to my old syncros set which didn’t need any work doing to them for the first year). apart from that they’re great value. bearings feel a bit rough now, but i’m just running them into the ground and once the play becomes excessive i’ll bang in some new ones…

i like the fact that i know exactly where to get spares from.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Love mine… will buy more!

footstomper
    Free Member

A riding buddy had some of the special offer wheels and did one very small jump and the front wheel collapsed. Sent them back and they replaced very quickly with mucho apologies. I dont think he has had a problem since.

donks
    Free Member

Anyone got the singlespeed rear wheel as i have been look at getting one as i am pissed of with replacing the freehub on the XT rear, plus you can bolt up the superstar one…opinions please.

sv

Superlegga freehubs sometimes give problems. Bearings in my original front hub still going strong – superfast hubs?

clubber
    Free Member

Only heard good stuff. They cocked up the PR about some dodgy brake discs a few years back and have been punished ever since. Top kit.

That and the guy who runs it was posting comments on here and other review sites pretending to be a customer and either posting great reviews or arguing with anyone who said anything negative about their products. Oh and posting negative comments about other companies IIRC.

I’ve got one of their rear hubs and it’s been fine.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have XC/Switch wheels. 4 rides so far and they seem fine

ononeorange

Thanks sv. My mouse was hovering dangerously closely over the “Buy” for some Superleggeras. Will switch to switches or superfasts.

Generally, reviews of the SS wheels seem good based on the above.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Happy with the ss rear hub I bought. Not that I’ve ridden much since June 🙁

philfive
    Free Member

i’ve ordered a set of Am 490’s with switch hubs and just waiting on them coming. they had an amazing review in what mountain bike.

jamiep
    Free Member

Ive had switch hubs on AM rims about 3 months. Too early to tell just yet. Gunna rebuild the hubs with extra grease in the xmas break

I think the poor reviews were for superlegga hubs.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of XC/AM Superlite wheels and have been running them for around six months. They’ve been spot on. Nice and light and haven’t had any problems.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clubber – there was also various unhappy people with repeated failures in BBs and crank sets who found getting satisfaction difficult.

crackhead
    Free Member

Two pairs here, Switch hubs with xc and am rims plus one Switch Tank DH rear.Tensioning was quite uneven when they arrived though they were straight and true…evened out the tension and they have been fine. Rear Tank has developed play in the bearings after not much use but I guess that is where they cut corners on the price…easy to replace with better quality and you have a silly cheap set of wheels if you buy them “on offer”. As much as I dislike the owner after first hand dealings, I have to praise them for their value

ssboggy

donks i’ve got a singlespeed rear hub and its been no trouble at all, only thing is you need a gert big adjustable spanner to tighten the lockring on the freewheel. Other thing is with ss hubs as i thing i may have read on here before is the are a bit lacking on lube inside the freewheel so its worth giving them a quick service before putting too many miles on them. As has already been mentioned that is a easy job. Also the singlespeed hub does come with bolts but the can be removed and a qr used instead

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anybody using Superstar wheels or hubs?’ is closed to new replies.