Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone buying a carbon 456 for £400?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I admit to being curious having never ridden a carbon frame

sharkbait
    Free Member

Very tempted but no spare money 🙁

I might also be disappointed at not getting £250 worth more fun than my steel 456 😕

BillOddie

Big Forked hardtail that is designed to be thrashed (and therefore crashed) in Carbon?

No ta.

Dent in steel frame, even alloy – prob ok.
    Damage the weave in carbon – FUBAR.

allthegear
    Free Member

oh no – here we go again – fruitless counter arguments as to whether carbon is / is not safe for use on bikes that knocked around a bit.

You do realise that once the internet is full we won't be able to use it anymore, don't you?? ;o)

Zoolander
    Free Member

Quite interested in a ti 456 whenever they are out

showerman
    Free Member

looks a good price to me, love one but no spare cash, me i ride hard on my carbon ibis but dont go crashing it so mine will last forever, can never understand why things have to be trashed

rs
    Free Member

looks a good price to me, love one but no spare cash, me i ride hard on my carbon ibis but dont go crashing it so mine will last forever, can never understand why things have to be trashed

Sometimes you don't get the option not to trash a frame in a crash, but that goes for any material, i quite fancy a carbon 456 but don't think i could bring myself to swap the alpine for it, and I also fancy getting back on a full suss so probably won't get one any time soon. Cracking price though.

nickc

Love to have a go on one. Actually sort of waiting for this bike to come along, but not sure about it's looks* if I'm honest.

* To all the "engineer-y" types that inhabit this forum; Yes, i know I really shouldn't be bothered by these sorts of things, but I am, OK?

topangarider
    Free Member

Anybody make it to Dalby at the weekend and vote on Graphics?

I went for no. three.

convert

Zoolander – absolute mint 18" ti456 with less than a dozen rides on it about to go one sale as soon as I get around to taking some shots.

email in profile

tang
    Free Member

decal option 6 for me. any news on the 29ers

Clink

but not sure about it's looks* if I'm honest.

I thought that, but have you had a look at the colour options here – look quite good!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/04/23/carbon-456-graphics-let-us-know-what-you-think

kevin1911

I'm very very tempted. Will it only take tapered steerer forks? Oh, and anyone know if the carbon version still has a limitation on what brakes can be fitted to it? Was it Shimano brakes that were too big or something?

plumber
    Free Member

I want a whippet

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I am hugely tempted. I love my steel one, but it's hardly a few months old. I did get that (having had a couple of Inbreds before) with the general thinking being; "If I like it, I might just go for a carbon or ti one when they're available again…" £400 seems pretty keen – especially if it really is 3.3 lbs…

With the tapered head tube, will that take a regular 1 1/8th steerer? I also can't see if it comes with the headset fitted or not for that?

Hmmm… decisions… 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wallet twitched when I received the email, but just about managed to control the impulse. If I hadn't just added another bike to the fleet it'd be a different story though.

I'll be very surprised if I don't end up with one at some point.

jimmy

i'm very very tempted.

I see they give geometry in S, M, L & XL but then sizes available are 16, 18 and 20".

I could probably work it out (or not + too lazy), but which is which?

Northwind

Very tempted myself, but I think I'll wait and see what the feedback's like. I'm no carbon skeptic but with the best will in the world first run bikes can go a bit wrong. And I still wish they'd gone with a full 1.5 headset to get the option of variable geometry.

But just thinking about it, take all the kit off my Soul bar the forks and seatpost, get another set of 120-150mm u-turn revs… Mmm. Could probably get back £400 on the Soul and its forks too. Maybe rob the Revs off the Hemlock from time to time. MMMMMM.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

So do you need to buy 2 headsets and mix them up then?

kevin1911

Pretty sure there are reducer headsets available, though not many. Suspect On One will be buying some in especially, hope so anyway

TheFlyingOx

Big Forked hardtail that is designed to be thrashed (and therefore crashed) in Carbon?

No ta.

Dent in steel frame, even alloy – prob ok.
    Damage the weave in carbon – FUBAR.

😆 😆 😆

…oh wait. You're serious? 😯

What's the view like from the mid 1990s?

Nezbo
    Free Member

defo going to try…

you may see some stuff on the classifieds to fund…

br
    Free Member

Me, if my 456Ti frame can't be 'recovered…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

is the geometry etc the same as current 456's?

nuke

Forgot that the email I previously signed up with had expired. Now signed up with a new email address but I guess I missed the mailshot…oh well 🙁

billyboy
    Free Member

Carbon chain stays and the historic problem 456 frames have with chain suck, do not sound like a marriage made in heaven!!!!!!

My two 18" 456s are fine but my girlfriend's 14" is stricken with the problem and you will find loads of other victims of it have posted on here. I think the company blame anything other than their frame so I cannot see warranty claims being very successfull and I know from a friend's experience that it doesn't take too many incidents of chainsuck to wear through a carbon chainstay.

billyboy
    Free Member

Lovely bikes though…………..

Shame

kevin1911

What's the physics behind a frame causing chainsuck? I can't see how it would be possible for the frame to affect how well the chain comes off the chainset…unless either the chainline is way off or the cranks aren't parallel with the cassette? Do the steel 456s have 73mm BB shell?

Mof
    Free Member

In the raw it looks a little ugly & bloated to me. Might look better dressed up. Price is tempting though…

Northwind

"What's the physics behind a frame causing chainsuck"

It can't, but clearances can make a difference to the results. My Hemlock, when it does chainsuck, does so with immense commitment and style, for example.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

convert ygm re: your ti456

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What's the physics behind a frame causing chainsuck? I can't see how it would be possible for the frame to affect how well the chain comes off the chainset

A frame can't cause chainsuck. Chainrings do that. BUT the design of the stays can make the consequences of it much worse. My 853 Inbred is the proof of this pudding – VERY tight chainring clearance as standard menat that the very first time I got chainsuck, the chain jammed so tightly I had to remove the cranks to get it out. This went on to snap the stay, despite me replacing middle rings ASAP. The new stay I had welded in was straighter at my request, loosing a few mm of mud room but gaining a lot of chain room. Nearly 2 years on the new stay is virtually chip free and I don't need to bother replacing rings until they are utterly knackered…..

To be fair, I doubt the carbon 456 has such tight clearences.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

If they had the Carbon 29er for £400 on preorder, I would bite their hand off.

nickc

Carbon chain stays and the historic problem 456 frames have with chain suck, do not sound like a marriage made in heaven!!!!!!

Just because the frame's called a 456, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a direct copy, just made in a different material…y'know?

toons
    Free Member

Anybody know the head Angle with a 160mm fork?

wwaswas

as above – the same/similar geometry doesn't mean it's a direct copy in a different material (and it patently isn't!).

pedalhead
    Free Member

The angles quoted on the On-One website are rather useless without the context…ie, what fork do they assume, and sagged or not. I've emailed them requesting clarity.

kevin1911

Also worth noting that the steel 456 has a 68mm BB shell, whereas the carbon one has 73mm, so perhaps they've ensured there's plenty of room for the cranks and a chain to get mangled.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone buying a carbon 456 for £400?’ is closed to new replies.