Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • anyone running an io as a cross/monster cross bike?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Not many disc cross ss specific frames out there so was wondering if anyone had bastardised an io (or anything else)? My old boss did something similar but with flat bars, id be looking at it as a drop bar though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Must admit to working on a similar plan. The only bikes/fames I can find to suit are the Singular Peregrine or even better Gryphon but I can't get to see either and as a shorty I am cocnerend about the TT length. Salsa do the Fargo which is great but maybe a touch OTT. Their Vaya looks just the job but I can't get to see the and the importers rep is being unhelpful in telling me who stocks Salsa.
    Am considering a disc braked cross bike instead but have yet to start bothering people to find out which one has the biggest tyre clearance.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I run a 16" Haro Mary in monster cross trim, works really well. There's a pic of it at the link below.

http://www.forestfreeride.blogspot.com/

mattsccm
    Free Member

Any idea what that weighs?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Whats the horizontal top tube measurement. Its a bugger getting these dimensions from dealers as the manufacturers don't publish them.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Horizontal TT is 22.5" centre to centre and I'd say it weighs around 25lb give or take.

I'm 5'7" if that gives you a better idea.

Mister-P
    Free Member
    james-o
    Free Member

i have a 445mm fork and a 29" front wheel on mine at the mo – bb's a bit too high but it's a so-wrong / so-right bike, loads of fun.

got me thinking about 29er handling traits again.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta for the sizes. Sounds a possible. Never seen a Mary, do they look Alfine compatible?

wwaswas

sorry but what's 'Monster Cross'?

Sam

Gryphon but I can't get to see either and as a shorty I am cocnerend about the TT length

Horizontal TT is 22.5" centre to centre

Sounds a possible.

The ETT on a medium Gryphon is 22.3"

sorry but what's 'Monster Cross'?

As I see it anything that's kinda like a cross bike (700c, drop bars, rigid) but with bigger meatier tyres.

Like a monster truck

but in bike form

glenp
    Free Member

Surely you want the forthcoming Day One Alfine? What size tyres will go on that?

sillyoldman

Oi – Badger – they were Twatty Bars ™ – not flat!

Now running 69'er with proper bars and Alfine (until Sharpy remembers I've got it ;-))…..

fontmoss
    Free Member

ah of course they were!

what was the rim that the cindercrosses sat on?

to be fair i think ill stick new cables and outers on the singlecross until i can afford a cross check or kite (ie 3 years)

firestarter
    Free Member

monster surly just for you dave 😉

currently set up like this tho

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why does that damn Peregrine keep appearing when I have just about convinced myself that I don't need one! My dream bike. A small one would be perfect if I could get the bars higher without it looking daft. Would the owner like to part with it????

firestarter
    Free Member

that peregrine is gorgeous isnt it 😉 im still lusting after one sam lol

edit just checked you have no smalls 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

is that peregrine on nokian 294s?

that is sweet!!

Clink

My interpretation of monster-cross from a few years back. I know it looks 'odd' but it was greta fun to ride.

fontmoss
    Free Member

firestarter you're evil

[jedi voice] You want a peregrine [/jedi voice]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘anyone running an io as a cross/monster cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.