Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone 'upgraded' a Bastid light?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not holding me back particularly, but people keep saying

blahhh blahhhh blahhhhh it’s not really 900lumens blahhhh blahhhh blahhhh cheeper LED blahh blahhh rubbish drivers blahhh blurggggg

So has anyone ever dissasembled it with a view to making it ‘better’?

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Mr Trout to sort it. :mrgreen:

z1ppy

Mr Trout & other have been playing on MTBR forums with XML LED’s and MS head units, though there lots of moaning about crap driver & thermal pathways… my reading of this translates as: you can pop in an XML unit for increased battery life (with no change to output), but better driver and cooling(?) need to get more light.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=682652

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Normally I’d say you can’t polish a turd, but I’ll wait and see if Trout can figure something.

You bought a cheap light, deal with it.
    😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am dealing with it, full pelt on fast*, tree lined**, unfamiliar trails** on Monday night, it was fine, but if it can be made even better for minimal wonga then I’m all for it.

* Off the brakes, and berms ~ 25mph
    ** Bar width
    ** I was lost

momentum_2000
    Free Member

** I was lost

Excellent, 😆

trout
    Free Member

I have been sent one with a view to making it brighter and it sort of coincided with the thread started on mtbr .

My findings with this one is just swopping a XML in wont give more lumens just a longer runtime as it uses less leccy .

the reflector also is not optimal for the XML as it is a lot smaller than the P7 so beam pattern is not great .

what is needed is a better driver and an XML plus switch and some bodgery so cost wise not good as you could just buy another bastid .

Still staring at it on the bench and wondering what to do

on another note the XML is looking like a great little led

racing_ralph
    Free Member

my on/off switch is dicky 🙁

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new one that is very dim so any upgrading would rejuvenate it and help with my sense of waste not want not..

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Are XMLs available in this country? What about suitable reflectors?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, I don’t think mines overly dim, but then its only been on one group ride, and I didn’t ask how many lumens everyone elses expensive lights were outputing.

As a guide the low setting is brighter than my cheep 300lumen torch, which is brighter than my £10 240lumen torch.

So at least the cheep lumens seem to stack up.

I was thinking more allong the lines of is it worth buying a ‘better’* P7 LED and just swaping the bulb itself?

*It was my understanding that the factory graded the LED’s and magicshine bought the cheepest ones which were unlikely to ever reach 900lumens, where’as exposure etc would pay more and get better ones.

trout
    Free Member

I was thinking more allong the lines of is it worth buying a ‘better’* P7 LED and just swaping the bulb

No it is the driver circuit that is holding the P7 back yes you may gain a few Lumens but not enough to say it was worth while .

XMLs are available from cutters and led teche de but dont know in this country

reflectors and optics have not become available yet but a few xpg ones work well with it .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So is there a driver that will fit inside the casing to drive the P7?

TBH I’m not fussed about efficiency, 4 hours is more than enough, is there any way of removing the flashing mode as well? Click for high or low and hold for off would be a much better setup.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So is there a driver that will fit inside the casing to drive the P7?

I’ve used this one for P7s. Might be worth a look to see if it’s appropriate.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Troutie, I’m thinking of building a light for my hub dynamo, is it ok to contact you by email?

nickf
    Free Member

AAAARRGGHH!

Cheep = what ickle birdies say

Cheap = when something doesn’t cost very much

trout
    Free Member

Nicknoxx yes sure

Tiger6791

I was going to email to see if you’d had any joy from it 🙂

I’ll just watch the MTBR Thread 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone 'upgraded' a Bastid light?’ is closed to new replies.