• This topic has 150 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • Anyone watching Sky News
  • Woody
    Free Member

Gordon has put is foot right in it by calling a woman (labour supporter) a bigot after talking to her, not realising he was still mike'd up in the car. She only asked him re national debt 🙄 Someone is going to get a right bollocking for 'putting her in front of him' !!

How democratic.

1 vote less for Labour apparently.

Woody
    Free Member

BBC news now. He's squirming like a good'un.

Jamie
    Free Member

I doubt he would call her a bigot for asking about national debt. The BBC seems to infer he was also being asked about immigration.

Edit:

"The 65-year-old woman had challenged Mr Brown on a number of issues including immigration, crime and the economy during the exchange."

-Beeb.

It does show what an obvious sham all this 'meet the people' bullshit is just before an election.

…and that is applying to all of them.

Woody
    Free Member

Yes, he's just said that and claims it was because he wasn't allowed to answer the question which was apparently re eastern europeans.

The sound ecitors will be working overtime as the conversation was a bit garbled originally and there were inaudible parts on the live transmission.

terrahawk
    Free Member

She was probably a bigoted woman.

IanMunro
    Free Member

She's from Rochdale, case closed 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Of course she must be, having the audacity to challenge the PM and screw up his carefully arranged 'people' visit 🙄

Shandy
    Free Member

"Sue" is getting a kicking as we speak. They are going to have to up his medication.

allthepies
    Free Member

Gordo's "meet the people" strategy has come off the rails.

lowey

Genius. Cant wait to see the mash tomorrow.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Now doubt the Radio and TV airwaves will talk about nothing else today – great!

This has got to be the most boring election to date, I am in two minds whether to vote now just had enough and I really don’t care who wins, they are all full of bullshit.

Shakey
    Free Member

He really was squirming in that interview. I love the way they only want to answer scripted questions!!

bintangman
    Free Member

how can you say its the most boring election to date, going from tory certainty, to hung parliament to the LibDems of all people leading the polls at one point! I reckon Gordon could actually come out of today quite well – saying it as it is, rather than the scripted talk and lack of interaction with the people in the debates.

kimbers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2010/apr/28/general-election-2010-live-blog

dont apologise gordon she is a biggot!

fair play to the man i say

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Anyone still watching?

The old girls on BBC24 now, she's awesome!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Of course she must be, having the audacity to challenge the PM and screw up his carefully arranged 'people' visit

I'm no fan of Brown's but I'm sure he knows what 'bigoted' means, and there are plenty of bigoted people around so I don't find it too hard to believe that's his genuine assessment of what she had to say.

Still it's hard to see it reflecting very well on him.

grumm
    Free Member

You can't say anything about immigrants … All these eastern Europeans – where are they coming from?

Eastern Europe maybe? 🙄

So **** what if he called her a bigot – he's probably right. Another non-story.

kimbers

to be fair shes not necessarily a bigot just gullible and easily led by the right-wing press
    sadly shes just like so many others in this country

the-muffin-man

…time to book Pickfords!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I think him apologising is the mistake, if thats what he thinks then fine go with it, take the flack & hold onto his principles

Shandy
    Free Member

Right-wing press.

Non-story.

😆

kimbers

wow i just checked the comments on the daily mail* website about this

there really are a lot of right wing nut-jobs out there

* i know its what youd expect but i was curious!

Woody
    Free Member

Right-wing press.

The BBC are virtually looping it. Hardly 'right wing'!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I remember hearing some stupid bitch charming lady ranting on about Bosnians once. Someone asked her if she knew where Bosnia was.

"It's in India somewhere innit. What, d'you fink I'm fick or sumfink?"

😀

DezB
    Free Member

Brown finally reveals a human side. I'm going to vote Labour for sure now.

Someone posted this for a bit of balance, so I'm doing the same:

Brilliant.

stumpyjon

We do live in a sad time when a politician gets it in the next for being a normal human being (forgetting he had a mike on) and actually being truthfully and probably correctly.

That said I laughed myself silly, I'm no Gorden supporter. Apparently according to some online questionaire my views are most aligned with the Lib Dems 😯 . Bit surprised really as I'm quite happy to admit to being right of centre in most things.

binners

Sky News is an oxymoron

chakaping
    Free Member

He should have punched her as well.

kimbers

in the ovaries

mcmoonter
    Free Member

She could do with apologising to the Eastern European community. I think I'd have been more frank in my description than Gogs.

mefty
    Free Member

So raising the issue of immigration makes you a bigot, and people are surprised the BNP are starting to get representation. Unfortunately it is that sort of attitude that helps them the most.

chakaping
    Free Member

Unfortunately it is that sort of attitude that helps them the most.

Nah, it's racist sort of attitudes that help them the most.

Talkemada
    Free Member

So raising the issue of immigration makes you a bigot

Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

She said:

"I'm very upset. He's an educated person. Why has he come out with words like that?"

As far as I know, the word bigot is a valid and non-pejorative term that can be applied to people based on their views. Why would this be incompatible with education?

To be honest, I think it shows up Gordon as being ok. I mean it could have been a whole heck of a lot worse:

"F*ck me what a stupid bint! These northerners are all thick as pigsh*t! Get that wrinkly old cow out of my face!"

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ah so this must be the proper thread 🙄 Gordon is a moron, nuff said.

Woody
    Free Member

Whichever way you look at it, he has probably alienated a sizeable proportion of core Labour voters.

ie.
    Granny
    Working class
    Labour voter because she has always voted Labour, as has the rest of her family
    Concerned about immigration
    Concerned about unemployemnt
    Concerned about education of her grandchildren

Asked a reasonable question (albeit with 'undertones') and then only says what he really thinks when he is talking to a flunky.

My take is that he is happy to take the votes and tolerate these 'uneducated peasants' as long as they toe the line and allow him to continue to discuss 'proper' issues with those he perceives to be worthy of his time.

ski
    Free Member

Woody – Member

Whichever way you look at it, he has probably alienated a sizeable proportion of core Labour voters.

ie.
    Granny
    Working class
    Labour voter because she has always voted Labour, as has the rest of her family
    Concerned about immigration
    Concerned about unemployemnt
    Concerned about education of her grandchildren

Asked a reasonable question (albeit with 'undertones') and then only says what he really thinks when he is talking to a flunky.

My take is that he is happy to take the votes and tolerate these 'uneducated peasants' as long as they toe the line and allow him to continue to discuss 'proper' issues with those he perceives to be worthy of his time.

Spot on Woody

The media has been waiting with bated breath for this to happen though.

Rio

Brown shows contempt for anyone who doesn't agree to the Masterplan shock horror! Hardly news. More concerning is his reluctance to own up when confronted by the tape on R2 – "…if I said that…"; MTFU – either admit you're wrong and apologise or stand by what you said. But I'd be fascinated to know who dreamed up the tactic of getting Brown closer to the people in the first place – there was no way that that was going to end well. Same person who told him to smile more perhaps?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am sorry that I was recorded calling that woman a "bigot" in the back of my car. I realise that that was a low thing to do, and that I should have called her a bigot to her face. I have already telephoned her in person and have called her a bigot directly.

I stand by what I said. She is a bigot. I understand what fuels her bigotry. It is foreign people. Foreign people who don't speak English terribly well. Foreign people who come from foreign countries. Foreign people who eat strange foodstuffs. Foreign people coming over here and competing with her for jobs. She doesn't like that. And why would she? She wants a job for life, with good pay. She wants a shortage of labour driving her wages up, and she wants the ability to unionise to drive wages up further. That is her idea of a good life. But in addition to her bigotry, Mrs Goggins has narrow horizons and no understanding of the way our economy works. She cannot see that the foreigner-free, high-wage economy for which she yearns, and for which ordinary decent people like Nigel Farrage and Nicholas Griffin also yearn is an economy which will ruin her life. It will ruin her life because it ruins Britain's competitiveness and drives people of industry and talent unknown to Mrs Goggins to invest in countries with lower wage costs.

So I say to bigots like Mrs Goggins; if you are happy to see the sun set on Britain, if you are happy to see your standard of living decline until the electric toaster is an unimaginable luxury again, if you want our global influence to collapse and our economy give £5 handjobs in supermarket car-parks, if you are happy with all of that then I am happy to send home the people who say strange words on the street, the people who eat oddly-shaped foods and pray to non-existent, violent or inferior gods, who wear tea-cosies on their heads or insist on bringing swords into the public lavatories.

You think being a bigot is a bad thing, and you think you can't be anything bad because you are an ordinary, decent person and because you are old and a bit stupid and don't come from London. That's not right. What I know is that many of you are bigoted. Many of you are a bit stupid. Many of you simply have no idea of how an economy works, or what decisions have to be taken so that you can afford Sky+ and turkey twizzlers. I am not your prime minister because I am just like you. I am your prime minister because I am nothing like you. I am not a regular kind of guy, I am special. So think carefully, before you ask me a stupid question, or offer words of ill-founded criticism from the depths of your bigotry and stupidity. Think carefully. Do you want me to tell you what you are? Because I will.

I should totally be a spin doctor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching Sky News’ is closed to new replies.