Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are my Air Pikes are working properly?
  • hugorune

How do I check to see if I’m getting full travel on My Air Pikes? I was out on tuesday and only seem to be getting about half the travel when i’m riding. Positive pressure 150psi / negative pressure 140 psi – I’m about 95kg

sharki
    Free Member

Set the sag at between a third and a quarter of full travel then try it.

You should be using all or 98% of full travel on most rides, also check your rebound isn’t too fast.

hugorune

Yes. I know how to set them up I’m just not sure I’m getting all the travel – as in something might be wrong with them.
    The sag is correct (as above).

Any ideas?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Put a cable tie on one of the stanchions, tighten it so it slides up and down easily.

Go for a ride, do your normal stuff and then measure how far up the stanchion the cable tie has moved, this will tell you how much travel you’re getting.

IA

Sounds like a lot of air in them, even for 95kg. I’m 80 + kit and was running mine at about 105, and you’re not half again heavier than me, but it’s half again as much air (and I know it’s not quite that simple, physics pedants :-P).

Also the easiest way to check, take all the air out! Remember when re-filling to do the positive chamber first, then fill the negative.

sharki
    Free Member

IA..he knows how to set them up durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

could try a little less air, meebie you’re not as heavy as you thought 😉 and i never found the guidelines on the side that accurate TBH.

guitarhero
    Free Member

how long since last service? Knock 50 psi off each side and try and get full travel just bouncing up and down on them. If not, try oil change, clean.
    Your pressures don’t sound to way off to me, I’m about 85kg running 130/120 neg/pos

billyboy
    Free Member

I’m 86/87 kgs and I was running mine at 95+ & 100/105- psi to get anything near full travel and responsiveness.

I think the truth is (and I’ve paid a lot of money to be in a position to say this) that Air Pikes and Air Revelations are not very good forks. Their coil counterparts are the ones to get.

I changed to a 2nd hand Pace RC41 XCAM and it is so far ahead of them that they become a joke entry in comparison. The only positive I will say in favour of the Pike Air is that it’s the best climbing fork I’ve ever used.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are my Air Pikes are working properly?’ is closed to new replies.