Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Are we about to see massive flooding, worse than ever before?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I think that we are, but time will tell!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends whether the pumps have waterproof grease in the bearings or not…………..

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a light drizzle at the mo

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are we about to see massive flooding

Well, no I wasn’t actually.

What brought this line of thinking on?

project
    Free Member

Brilliant sunshine at the moment and the cats just gone out, which she doesnt when its going to rain.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just walked out the door to go for a run and heavens just opened. So I am inclined to say yes. I would like to also add that panic should be your first port of call, preferably blind panic.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Statisticall speaking it is likely that at some point we will see flooding that is worse than we have seen previously.

Clearly this depends on the range on dates you include and the people who claim to have seen the flooding.

The worst flooding I have personally seen is maybe a foot or two deep on the Thames flood plain in Henley but I believe in other parts of the world such as Gloucester they have had far deeper floods in the past few years.

kimbers

excellent sandbags 20 quid each

pm me for urgent delivery, it may just save your life

that is all

edit i can supply sand too but thats 44 pounds/ kilo as its specially synthesized to be water resistant offering 134% increased osmotic repulsion over standard sand

PJM1974
    Free Member

I saw this bloke with a beard and sandals at Jewsons the other day, seemed to be haggling over a quite a few planks of wood.

molgrips
    Free Member

You always think the apocalypse is coming, kaesae.

nuke

I’ve a copy of this…

…you could borrow.

sv

Not the usual random thoughts then 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

is this yet more stellar realignment pish or have you just heard about Pakistan?

uplink
    Free Member

Just walked out the door to go for a run and heavens just opened.

I love running in the rain, beats the hell out of hot & sunny runs

PeteG55
    Free Member

As a resident of Gloucester, or at least I was in 2007, its going to take something quite severe to top that. Are predicted that kind of rainfall again? Should I start bottling tap water now?

Jamie
    Free Member

I love running in the rain, beats the hell out of hot & sunny runs

Just come back for my jacket 😉

*gone*

luked2
    Free Member

Is this about Dusk-to-Dawn?

ditch_jockey

Stella realignment pish

Think I ended up with that on Saturday night.

CountZero

We used to get flooding like this in Calne in the 1930’s. Haven’t had any like this in decades.
    If people want to build huge developments on floodplains then they have to accept the inevitable consequenses. Sh1t happens.

druidh
    Free Member

I thought the jet stream/North Atlantic drift had been diverted and we were in for a new ice age?

chvck
    Free Member

My masters diss is due tomorrow, I haven’t done any riding for a few weeks and the weather has been pretty good really. Therefore I’m expecting flash floods from tomorrow afternoon onwards.

Drac

No.

philconsequence
    Free Member

If we are then I’m heading for the hills… with my bike 🙂

Kuco

Hope so I could do with some more overtime* 😉

*To people that have suffered from flooding you have my sympathy 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

I live at 1,150m and the nearest river is 250m below. Will I be ok?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Fair amount of rain here today, some whopping great puddles thanks to the lack of drains in sensible places!

nonk
    Free Member

i have finally got my downpipes sorted so i will be reet.
    chucks another log on the burner.

kaesae
    Free Member

What are you saying to it then, massive flooding or what?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx

Anyone who get’s caught up in the flooding, you have my sympathies! 🙁

Hohum
    Free Member

It’s been raining pretty heavily here for the last 6 days or so and everything is sodden.

The Met Office has also put out a warning for a deep low pressure to cross the British Isles on Sunday evening with more rain and strong winds as well 🙁

luked2
    Free Member

It’s been raining hard here in Cambridge, pretty much since the OP’s first post, must be nearly forty days ago now.

The Cam burst its banks two weeks ago, and the centre of the city has been under a lot of water ever since. The water level is quite a way up the side of King’s College Chapel now – all you can really see is the four turrets at the corners, just poking out above the waves.

Most people I know in Cambridge have fled to higher ground – there’s a big refugee centre up in Cambourne, although obviously the river-boat people are staying put. There’s one guy in particular who started building this massive boat a few months ago. He’s been giving various doom-laden interviews to the Cambridge Evening News, but most people just ignore him.

Quite a few of the local cycling routes have become a bit tricky, but we’re now getting quite used to just chucking the bike into the flood waters, swimming across to the next island, and then carrying on. It’s pretty hard on HT2 bottom brackets though – we’re all back to square taper and ISIS. I guess that’s the biggest difference this whole thing has made to me.

project
    Free Member

Due to governmnet cutbacks there will still be plenty of suited bods telling us what to do if the streets flood, and nobody to actually clear the drains and ditches.

druidh
    Free Member

Hey – with any luck, it’ll all freeze and wee can turn the UK into one mahoosive ice rink.

* pops off to buy shares in ice skate makers *

Kuco

Due to governmnet cutbacks there will still be plenty of suited bods telling us what to do if the streets flood, and nobody to actually clear the drains and ditches.

erm in ops delivery flood defence were actually taking a couple of extra people on and so are other areas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Due to

there will still

Does not compute.

But even corrected, it still doesn’t compute 😐

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I bet bowser rage is rife in cambridge

boxelder

Sneaked over the new bridge in our village yesterday at the end of my commute. It was washed away last Novemeber. Felt really good – didn’t realise how much I’s missed it. Will take a bit to top the rain we had here then. On a hydrological note – flooding frequency will increase and it’s more to do with changes made to land use than there being more rain. A lot of urban flooding we see now is the inability of urban areas to cope with rain water. In the natural world, far more rain enters the ground, where it moves very slowly – recharging underground supplies as a bonus. Impermeable surfaces cause surface run-off, which will always cause floods.

project
    Free Member

New Brighton on the wirral tonight, brand new surface on the prom, sea wall one side, fancy drain running full length, and another wall on the other side, flooded in a few places, water totally missing the drains,the slope is facing the wrong way,causing large puddles.

Usually on a high tide the water comes over the top, nice to see it cant get back, today it was just rain water.

sadly i wish it was a joke.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Are we about to see massive flooding, worse than ever before?’ is closed to new replies.