Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • At what point did they sell vampires out & make them cute & fluffy?
  • billybob
    Free Member

Just been looking at getting some horror films to get me in the halloween mood & it suddenly struck me that the modern cinema vampire is more like a little teenage emo, all cute & trying soo hard to show how they are hated by the world. When infact they are just something to pity.

Was it Twilight that sold them out? True Blood? Or when Angel decided he had a soul in Buffy?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Blame the Americans…

I’ve recently watched Being Human. Bare in mind it’s the BBC the vampires are not so cute and fluffy.

mtbfix

Modern vampires got all weak and touchy feely in ‘Interview with a Vampire’. Brad Pitt bemoaning his lot.

billybob
    Free Member

I’ve recently watched Being Human. Bare in mind it’s the BBC the vampires are not so cute and fluffy.

The main vampire is a bit – not so much toward the end…

BigCol
    Free Member

vampire in my house this morning….

steve_b77
    Free Member

When all that twilight twaddle came about, even in Buffy there was a fair bit of violence not to mention sapphic action 😆

Being Human is excellent.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Interview with the vampire was probably the beginning of the end. 30 days of Night has some nasty, old school vampires though.

vinnyeh

Waay back- Hammer Film Productions has a lot to answer for, imo.

speaker2animals

Anne Rices books are probably the starting point, but there are probably other authors who have contributed over quite a span of years. TBF the writers were probably at least trying to add something new rather than just re-write Dracula but in the end we have come via Buffy (which I enjoyed) to Twilight which I have never seen or read and have no intention of. Look in a good bookshop now and the shelves are full of Sub twilight vampire teenage angst.

I like True Blood and though Bill does have the emotion problem at least the characters are fairly well drawn, not straight forward and it is pretty adult.

But yes vampire films/books are pretty dead to me nowadays not that i ever read many books.

B_Leach
    Free Member

I blame the recently coined genre of “Dark Romance”

I preferred the days when vampires didn’t cnuting sparkle

Kuco

Last decent vampire films were the Blade trilogy at least they just wanted to rip your throat out for a quick drink.

ocrider

I like True Blood and though Bill does have the emotion problem at least the characters are fairly well drawn, not straight forward and it is pretty adult.

I like it too, but theres one great, gaping hole in the plot: How does a vampire get a boner if he has no pulse?

billybob
    Free Member

30 Days of Night was good – proper old school nasty vamps, no emotions just a penchant for violence & destruction.

I want to find George A Romero’s Martin & have a watch at some point.

Harry_the_Spider

When vampires had a bit more bite.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHmWLYmwgo&feature=related[/video]

Didn’t sleep for a week when I was that aged 12.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That club scene in Blade I was awesome.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

True blood isn’t really about vampires, it’s just an excuse for the writers to shove in as much kinky sex as they can get away with…

…great isn’t it? 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The kid at the window in Salem’s Lot scared the bejaysus out of me at the time. And the second video really made me jump just now!

tazzymtb

near dark was a bloomin brilliant vampire film

nickc

Tedious fact number #328

Did you know in the book they just killed Drac off with a knife? No stakes, no garlic, just a common or garden knife, and it’s just one line pretty much “…And I stabbed him and he fell dead” sort of thing….

weird but truuuuuuuuuuuue

bit of anticlimax to killing of the greatest anti hero of all time…

tazzymtb

the original 1920’s nosferatu was ace as well, the whole shadow of the vampire stalking up the stairs scared me daft when I was a nipper

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Near Dark – ace film!

“How old are you?”

“Ah fought for the South…. We lost…” 8)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

But yes vampire films/books are pretty dead to me nowadays not that i ever read many book

Yeah but just when you think they’re dead…. 😉

really enjoy True Blood for countering the whole anaemic, castrato Twilight vampires. Let The Right One In was a great film which explored the emotional yet vicious killer side of things with some subtlety. Near Dark was fun but Martin was probably my favourite (not) vampire film.

Actually, no, anything with Ingridd Pitt was…

DezB
    Free Member

1979:

DezB
    Free Member

The best Dracula

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

True blood isn’t really about vampires, it’s just an excuse for the writers guys to shove in sneakily watch as much kinky sex as they can get away with…

…great isn’t it?

That’s my thoughts on the subject… 8)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Is Being Human worth watching?

True Blood is good.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let The Right One In was a great film which explored the emotional yet vicious killer side of things with some subtlety.

Very good film. Wife says US remake is supposed to be just as good too.

True Blood is v entertaining but that Bill a bit boring. Eric is much more fun.

lyons
    Free Member

my favourite vampire book personally was I Am Legend, shame the film didnt even have the same story…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Forgive my pants for remaining unshitten

Gotta love Charlie Brooker 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Ocrider I think I could raise one for suky (sp?) Even when dead 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I’m shocked disappointed and disgusted that no one has mentioned Lost Boys yet. No cuddly vampires there 🙂

epicyclo

There’s a new Dracula book by the great great grandson of Bram Stoker.
    Dracula – the Undead

I enjoyed it.

rootes1

re twilight…..

“ohh i’m a vampire and i can’t go out in the sun….”

“why will you combust and die in a horrific and unpleasant manner?”

“No because my skin is sparkly….”

omg

lost boys = proper vampires… though still beat by the frog brothers..

“if there is one thing i could never stand about living in Santa Carla, is all the damn vampires”

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at clubber

clubber
    Free Member

You’re a vampire Michael! My own brother, a goddamn, sh!t-sucking vampire. You wait ’till mom finds out, buddy! 

DezB
    Free Member

Cuter than Lost Boys:

(if you like vampires and haven’t seen Near Dark…)

Pook

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The dude:

But eveyone loves a succubus:

rootes1

re Near Dark…

saw that a couple of months back – decent vampires, but not really leading the high class lifestyle they should be….

not a bad film though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘At what point did they sell vampires out & make them cute & fluffy?’ is closed to new replies.