Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aviemore next week – route advice
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    Going to be in Aviemore next week and planning what routes to do. So far on the list is:

Golspie and Balblair
    Round the hill near Glen Feshie recommended on the waterproof maps from Bothie Bikes
    The "Glen Bogle" route from the Kenny Wilson book (probably in reverse)
    Possible overnighter near Tomintoul recommended from http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/

Any other Must do's? I've been up there loads before so I've done the likes of General Wades road and lots of stuff round Rothiemurchus.

Stu.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You must do Carn Ban Mor – one of the absolute classics. 4-5 hours depending on fitness and blethering.

Burma Road
    Lairig Ghru (out and back)
    Laggan Wolftrax

Go into or ring Bothy Bikes and they will help you out

u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    Did Carn Ban Mor last year, although I've now got a full sus so the descent should be more fun! Anyone know the easiest way in now the rickety bridge has been washed away?

Is the Lairig Ghru really worth it/rideable, not been up there.

We'll likely fit Wolftrax in on the way down the road.

Thanks.

Stu.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

carn ban mor – you can drive in to the carpark high up the glen on the correct side of the river for the ride.

Teh lower section of the lari grhu is really good. Either up and down or can be done a sa circuit going up past the lodge

unstableJ
    Free Member

Ben Macdui 🙂 2nd highest point in the UK!

13thfloormonk

The Glen Bogle route is impressive, but the descent to Lochan Na Earba is hard to find in places, and there's a percentage of hike-a-bike, so give it an extra hour or so 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

unstableJ, what route did you use for Ben Macdui? Done it on foot from Braemar side, but never been onto the main part of the massif from Aviemore direction

u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    13tfloormonk – was hoping you'd pipe in, amazing photo stories BTW- I did the Glen Bogle route the "right way" the year before last and yes, a fair bit of hike-a-bike including a questionable river crossing. We figured it'd maybe be better in reverse so willing to give that a shot. Unless you've something new that might be more fun:).

unstableJ – route for Ben MacDui would be good. That sounds like quite an adventure.

Anyone else with any new ideas? Will be doing it with a mate who doesn't mind a bit of hike-a-bike if the rewards are there (I wasn't talking "personal favours":) )

Stu.

pigyn
    Free Member

The drive from Aviemore to Golspie is quite long, can be a pain. If you are going up that way Balblair is OK but not great, some nice sections of rock linked with fire road, but if you go up without going to learnie red rock you are missing out, it's a hidden gem. You could do all 3 in a day if you were up nice n early, but if you have to choose choose learnie. Make sure you head over to the black side (its all on its own over a road) well worth it, really fun and with some home-made DH tracks halfway round to play on, with a nice step up jump just off the trail..

13thfloormonk

u02sgb, sorry, I only passed through from Loch Pattack to Lochan na Earba, I did enjoy it, but it looked like another couple of wet summers and it would disappear for good.

the only other stuff around there is the Bealach dubh loop, would have thought it was possibly a better one but i've only done one half of it.

there's a wee glen between Glen Quoich and glen derry called clach Fearnaig i think, was a really nice wee trail but wouldn't be worth the trek out by itself.

druidh
    Free Member

RE: The Glen Bogle Route… Do NOT try to ascend from Lochan na h-Earba up the East side of Creag Pitridh. I reckon it would be a fairly pants descent too. The track up the West side (to the Beinn a'Chlachair bealach) is a better option either way.

AJ
    Free Member

Braeriach ? big time mission though but an hour of down is your reward.

13thfloormonk

Interesting… I wondered if Druidh's track would be better. The eastern track wasn't a bad descent, just very wet and required a lot of leaning back and 'surfing' through crappy bits.

The track leading to the start of the descent was pretty cool though, proper mountain sheeptrack.

nbt

Hire some skis and boots and go skiing on Cairngorm on midsummer's day

20th and 21st June – Midsummer Snowsports

We are celebrating midsummer by offering some snowsports on Sunday 20th and Monday 21st June. The skiing will be in a very limited area beyond the Ptarmigan Tow with uplift being provided by two temporary rope tows. Funicular only prices will apply (£9.75 adult/£6.15 junior/£8.45 senior & student). 2009-10 season tickets will also be valid. Equipment hire will not be available on the mountain but may be available from Glenmore Shop (tel. 01479 861253). There will be no snowsports on Saturday 19th June.

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

flyingfox
    Free Member

Yes, Lairig Ghru worth it! Go up climb next to ski road. Go round Loch Morlich, go onto track up to Rothiemurchus Lodge, trudge/ride up to Lairig Ghru, go down, round Loch an Eilein etc. Nothing scary but good fun.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Thanks all, lots to think about!

stabilizers

I know the area fairly well and I am just back from a weeks holiday.
    I would recommend as others have done.
    The Liarig Grhu up and down from the Cairngorm Club bridge and Badaguish. You can combine these 2 with Loch an Eilan for a good day out.
    Glen Feshie on the West side of the river. You have the maps so the area marked good single track is good single track. There are a few trees down and it is a bit of a maze but good riding. The route in the inset on the map is good in the dry. Beware that the bridge further up the glen that was unsafe is now gone. You can ford the river 50 yards down river its very wide but its only about 6 inches deep in low water when I did it.
    Carn Ban Mor is as good as they say. A tiny bit of snow is still up there but its so much fun but hard.
    Golspie is a long way away from Aviemore. It would be a long day travelling and riding both trails. Learnie is worth a visit too. Laggan is close to Aviemore so dont miss that out.

j_me
    Free Member

Something with a cake shop in it.

druidh
    Free Member

That would be Inshriach then….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore next week – route advice’ is closed to new replies.