• This topic has 50 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Being let down
  • 0091paddy
    Free Member

Hey all,

As many of you know it is the 24-12 this weekend, and I am supposedly riding for a 'Factory Team' of a well known bike brand. Just found out that despite of this, I cannot ride one of their bikes, and I presume that I'll just have to use my own again, as this is the second time this has happened, first time at a race no one showed up with the bike for me.

So after spending £20 of food for the weekend, plus about £60 on fuel, it entails all I'm actually doing is riding under 'their name'

Tell them to stick it?

uplink
    Free Member

They're trying to tell you something

Sam

That is pretty poor, even on my Singular micro-team I cover the guys' entry fees, and provide bikes & jerseys. Perhaps uplink is right 😉

0091paddy
    Free Member

BTW, the race entry would be 'free'. Think I'd rather pay and ride solo if I'm honest. Do hope people can see why I'm annoyed, I don't expect the world, just a bike for the event would be nice.

Ciao

nickc

That's pretty shabby

jimmy

name and shame? whats the point of being on the team without a bike? think you're right, tell em to stick it and ride your own race.

the-muffin-man

Pretty piss-poor if a 'factory' team make you ride another make of bike!!

Tell them to stick it?

You could put in some 'leisurely paced' laps due to 'mechanicals', and **** their result up!! 😉

samuri
    Free Member

tell 'em to stick it. that's just taking the mickey.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Ride your own, but wear 'non-regulation' gear, advertising competitors' products, or proclaiming foul-mouthed statements.
    That'll learn 'em.

MrAgreeable

Do two erratic laps with beer in hand, then retire. You may also be invited to join Sam's team if your beer is niche enough. 😉

0091paddy
    Free Member

Phew, least I now know what the general consensus is.

Worst thing is, as it's something pretty cool, I've told a few people "yeah, riding for……. this weekend" like anybody would.

This is also team who would podium.

Sandwich

You are paying to get there as well? Someone is being un-professional, wear own gear with no sponsors logo like Astana did at the Giro. Wouldn't advise telling them to stick-it as it's a small world and you may want to ride for someone else in future.
    Slow laps due to mechanicals, if you can do it, are a good idea. Pack a mag in the camelback and sit down for a read and picnic at the far side of the course.

nicko74

I dunno – you're riding it for yourself as well, so you want to do as well as you can. Make sure you don't show any of their logos, and try to cover yourself in rival sponsorship. That'll learn 'em!

Or, rock up on a unicycle and say 'this is what I ride on normally'. 🙂

MrAgreeable

In fairness an outwardly successful high-profile brand may not actually have that much money to spaff, and if there's a last-minute problem with their team bikes then you may have been left high and dry through no fault of their own.

Also, what sort of level are you racing at? If it's only your second race for them and you might podium in Fun, I can see why they're not showering you with carbon fancyness.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I'd be wearing my own gear anyway, no jersey for me either!

I'll probs just ride it to be honest, though this will be the last time I do them a favour.

And yeah, I would be paying to get down there.

The podium, wouldn't be in the 'fun' cat.

user-removed
    Free Member

Ride it, then have a polite and measured conversation about why you're a bit peeved – as has been mentioned, there may be a good reason for it.

scaredypants

did they initially promise you a bike/food/travel ?

if not, they haven't let you down – just not met your expectations

Dobbo

You're not riding for Team Richie McCoy are you?

sc-xc

Team Lee Anderson?

uplink
    Free Member
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I would be quite suspicious of an industry team that was unable to provide bicycles for racers representing it at major events. 🙂

BigJohn

I think you're being a bit grumpy.

It's a fantastic opportunity and well known semi professionals like Richie McCoy and Elbry Sandland would jump at the chance.

geoffj

no jersey for me either

Its quite clear then that they don't want you to represent them – how much does a Jersey cost FFS?

There may be good reasons why they don't want you in the team, but it appears that they have not acted very professionally or nicely in dealing with you.

If I were in your position I would not ride for them – I presume that would bugger up their race unless they could get another rider?

Do it all as calmly and pleasantly as possible. If they have any conscience at all, it will give them something to think about.

Oh and name and shame 😈

0091paddy
    Free Member

Ha, I knew someone would dig that thread out, but if they are so concerned about my riding ability why put me in the 'team'?

As for being grumpy BigJohn, I presume you're being sarcastic. I'd been lead to believe I was riding on a team bike, and in the team kit, brilliant. In reality, I'm filling a gap on a team that is a man down. If I'd have known this in the first place I wouldn't be on here talking about it.

@scaredypants: Yes, of course I knew about the costs of getting down there, that's a given, I was replying to a question. I had been told I was riding a bike, which I'm not, therefore that hasn't met my 'expectations' if you like.

BigJohn

You presume wrong.

atlaz
    Free Member

You are riding a bike. Just not theirs 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Drop out of the team, ride like a man possessed, and whup their asses!

zokes
    Free Member

This is also team who would podium.

Would podium? What's that then? I assume you mean "…are likely to get onto the podium"?

0091paddy
    Free Member

Sorry yes, are likely to.

zokes
    Free Member

Sorry, just being a little anally retentive. I can't stand it when people turn nouns into verbs, especially 'podiuming' and 'medalling'. Surely meddling is something you do when you're messing with something?

rOcKeTdOg

isn't that 'fiddling' though?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RD – No, that's playing the violin.
    😉

BigJohn

I am one of the most pedantic people around, but I can't get worked up about nouns morphing into verbs. The vast majority of good old fashioned verbs are derived from nouns.

Why is "medalling" bad when "medallist" is OK? Although you could argue that medalling is the act of making a medal, not winning one.

MrAgreeable

I would have got away with it, if it wasn't for you medalling kids!

rOcKeTdOg

if anyone says "sorry MY Bad" i will not be too pleased 👿

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Arrgh someone else beat me to it

dmiller
    Free Member

sorry MY Bad

njee20
    Free Member

I think you've set your standards too high and got hung up on feeling like a professional!

The only 'factory' teams I can see are Yeti in 12 hour, Titus and Trek 69ers, I'm sure Trek will all have 69er SSs, so that leaves Titus or Yeti… When I rode for the 'Titus factory team' we fairly regularly had riders not on Titus's, or in Titus kit. The importer's now changed, but I imagine that's still the same. Yeti often have random riders, but they seem to choose them because they ride a Yeti.

Either way I think you're throwing a bit of a prima donna strop because you won't get given a shiny bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

When I worked for a small bike shop, not even a chain, I was given team jersey and bike parts to spruce up my bike, even though they couldnt muster a whole bike.

I'd ask a few questions about commitment, but be prepared for them to ansswer honestly.

njee20
    Free Member

You worked for them, ie you were a regular fixture.

We're talking about someone turning up and riding round for 6 hours (assuming 4 in a 24hr team), of that half will be dark, and it'll likely get muddy and thus changed after one lap. I wouldn't expect a jersey for an hours exposure!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Being let down’ is closed to new replies.