• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best Bodges…..
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

Can you beat this temporary bodge for a granny with the wrong PCD?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Does that work?? surely it will pull off onto the frame??? What ever you do dont change gear when its under load.

slowrider
    Free Member

thats a goodun. ive held broken shifters together with zip ties and gaffer tape to get home, same with rear mechs. wasnt much i could do to save snapped cranks, bars or forks though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Isnt it BCD? Bolt Circle Diameter. What does PCD stand for?

stratobiker
    Free Member

It worked perfectly for one ride, which is all it had to do.
    Bear in mind it was a steel granny, and I positioned it so it's loaded against the bolts. I don't think granny rings ridden by Mrs Stratobiker come under as much load as some as she's a good spinner.

Andy, you're right.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

PCD = Pitch Circle Diameter – usually used when referring to car wheel bolt patterns but means the same thing

samuri
    Free Member

That looks good.

PCD = Pitch Circle Diameter and is used far more in cycling circles (sic), than BCD.

edit, I'll take that back, BCD seems to be used a bit more

ahwiles
    Free Member

if i knew how to post images, i'd be able to show how i lashed a broken frame together with an inner tube…

good bike – but a bit 'snappy'

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Very proud of this shed bodge: How to affix a rear-mudguard to a bike with no chainstay bridge:

And then there's this 'in-the-field' bodge: What to do when the kevlar bead in your tyre goes 'ping' when you're stranded 30miles from home in the middle of nowhere with no hope of rescue:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I bodged a single speed set up together when my rear mech decided to self destruct. Got me home but I could not tension the chain properly so it jumped off a couple of time on the rough stuff.

slowrider
    Free Member

love the second one thurman, did a similar thing with a sliced inner tube and zip ties. noisy and lumpy but saved me a 20 mile walk.

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice one Thurman Merman- just given me an idea of what I can do with some cateye brackets and a mudguard…

tinsy
    Free Member

Used a long screw and 2 cable ties to make a splint for a broken gear outer cable, rode it for about 2 months…

nbt

I've been running a deore shifter held together with gaffer tape for about 3 years now 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Toothpaste tube maks a great emergency tyre boot

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

The pivot pin fill out 1/4 of the way round the Red @ Glentress.
    I rode the rest of the day with a keyring helping me to stop my bike.

Pook

http://thereifixedit.com/

but this thread reminds me of being stuck up High Street with a bust chain, but no chain splitter.

Lining up my allen key set on the split pin ready for the rock/hammer improvisation the immortal line
    "whatever you do, don't hit my thumb" got the response
    "don't worry, i won't"

Bang. Ow.

coatesy
    Free Member

An offcut of bungee cord from MY camelback between barrel adjuster and rear mech cage to provide a makeshift return spring. It was intended to get him home, but was still on there many weeks later.
    Before I discovered a large square of damp-proof course can repair a blown sidewall, I blew up my spare tube to it's approx. fully inflated profile and bound it with Elastoplast to stop it blowing out, got me around the majority of the old Karrimor until I could get a replacement.

Padowan
    Free Member

Waaay back in the 90's I had to resort to the "fill up my rear tyre with grass" fix after a huge blowout and no spare tube on a night ride on the South Downs. Worked OK, if a little lumpy (no suspension back in those days) – it got me home which was the important thing!

tinsy
    Free Member

I give you jammy_p.. this is by far the best bodge on a bike I have ever seen.. 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-us-your-bikes-built-on-a-shoestring

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did a rather useful bodge on a front mech with a snapped cable. Various sizes of bits of wood allowed me to use all three chainrings. OK, so it was hardly the fast cahnge of a front mech, but it worked!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I once had my freehub pawls pack up, so no drive. I took the front mech cable and ran it between the spokes, and through the holes in the gear block. Could pedal quite nicely – chain was effectively pulling the spokes, which moved the wheel. Only trouble was this gave me a fix gear bike, and as I was half way to Tan Hill at the time it wasn't the easiest of rides back, especially down some of those hills. I finished up getting a lift back to Kirkby Stephen on the back of a tractor pulling a flat bed trailer.

spanishbarry
    Free Member

A little piece of a Coke can as a quick fix shim for Manatou shock works a treat

stratobiker
    Free Member

Oh yes!!!
    I love TM's get you home string bodge……

..and I'm deffo outclassed by jammy_p he's King of Bodge!

Olly
    Free Member

may i bring to your attention, the shifter for the front mech, located on the seatstay, roughly where the canti mounts are.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best Bodges…..’ is closed to new replies.