Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best light weight wheels
  • woody74

Right I want some new light weight wheels that aren't stupid expensive, say £300 max. I'm only 11 stone so they don't need to be tuff. I want them fir trail / xc riding. Happy with custom build or factory built.

njee20
    Free Member

Can you stretch the budget a bit: €400 and 1350g

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If its for trail riding hope hoops on 355s…1600g, but you wont have to worry about them so much. £275 from wheelpro.

rob2
    Free Member

hope hoops pro2s on 355s from Winstanleys are only about 220 a pair I think. Hubs are a bit heavy but low rotational weight. And versatile!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yep, 355s on Hope hubs are definitely the best value for that kind of riding. Can't recommend them enough – light but reliable, can run QR, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm axles, easy to service & easy to run tubeless or tubes – and with a nice chunk of change from £300 😀

woody74

Any thoughts of wheels with out Hope hubs as the constant clicking does my head in. Could stretch to £400 if that makes a difference

rob2
    Free Member

if you can go to 400 get some american classics tubeless or try stans ztr hubs on 355s or crests from just riding along which I think are about 330

Max
    Free Member

njee20 do you own a set of those Fun Works wheels? If so how've they been?

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, although I nearly bought a pair. They seem to be own brand hubs from Action Sports, I asked on Weight Weenies and someone said they'd been good. Neil said they were exactly the same as some of the Superstar hubs, but I'm not sure on that.

The Hope Hoops on 355s are nearer to 1700, even the Crest ones are 1650 claimed. However… you know they're gonna be tough, and they are good value. I'd still be tempted to try the Fun Works ones!

jsinglet

I got Stans Olympics on XTR hubs from Freeborn, < 1400g and no clicking. Think olympics have been replaced now though, probably by something lighter. 355s probably a bit more sturdy though.

Adders69
    Free Member

woody74 – Member
    Any thoughts of wheels with out Hope hubs as the constant clicking does my head in.

… ZTR Hubs go clickety-click too ….

dickie
    Free Member

Just Riding Along – ZTR Hubs on ZTR Alpine Rims – £380 – 1370g

m_t_b
    Free Member

I just got a set of these:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fulcrum-Red-Zone-MTB-Wheel_32139.htm

1750 for the pair and built for Trail/AM might be overkill for you, the hubs are campagnolo and will go forever they are new so dont expect many reviews on them but so far a great wheelset

njee20
    Free Member

ZTRs on Alpines sounds like a good deal. The Alpine is the new Olympic, but is wider than the Arch. If you want something slightly tougher then the Crest is the new 355, but again, is lighter and wider than both the 355 and the Arch.

woody74

Thanks guys. I never seem to wreck wheels so I want a super light set.. Seems like talking to Just Riding Along is a good place to start. It's a real shame Hope don't do a quiet hub as they seem the best for the money and I know the quality is top notch. I have some Hope hubs on my cross bike and I curse them every time I ride it.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/76_114/products_id/1006?osCsid=430aa8c46b60e43987be7ff709caf9ca

American Classic MTB26 ……. you may get a White set a little cheaper on-line……

Otherwise – Hope Hoops – Pro3 hubs ….. good for your weight too !!

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn't bother with the Pro 3s personally, still as noisy, straight pull spokes are a faff and they're not that light considering the money. Either go Hope Hoops on Pro 2s, or something lighter than the Pro 3s.

PaulMcG

How about the Prolite Allein from CRC. £250 and c. 1460g (for once, this is actually accurate – weighed when they came oot of the box).

I've done a couple of rides on them, including a 3-hour Trailquest today where I got a few hops and drops wrong and landed heavily. I'm not exactly svelte either at 84kg in the nud. They seem to be standing up to the abuse although it's early days, and certainly feel quick.

DT78
    Free Member

I'm having this debate myself at the moment, I'm almost sold on the AC wheelset, though hadn't looked at the ztr's on justridingalong. For some stupid reason I thought the prices quoted were for single wheels not full sets!

I'm pretty certain those fun works hubs are not the same as superstar. I spent some time looking at the pictures etc… they do not look the same as the switch hubs. They are close to the superlegga however the quote weights are different…

iain1775
    Free Member

just folded my Hope Pro2SP with Stans 355 on a very slow speed stupid crash at Cannock Chase.
    I walked away without a scratch for once!
    The sort of thing I really would have expected the wheel to be fine with
    Wheel was almost new, only the 4th ride or so, (and first biggie)

daveaasmith
    Free Member

Just to throw a curve ball in……

Easton XC two

Around £250 I think (I managed to pay £200 from CRC when they were on offer, reduced from £300)

Have had my set for two years now, and they are superb.

Dave.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's not unheard of for wheels to collapse in slow speed crashes IME. stan's rims certainly have a good rep for strength given their weight.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

How about the Prolite Allein from CRC. £250 and c. 1460g (for once, this is actually accurate – weighed when they came oot of the box).

Claimed weight is 1600g on CRC and Pro-lite's web site, check your scales.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I think those actionsports hubs are like my A2Z hubs – the front one certainly looks like a dead ringer but the rear is slightly different. No problems with mine – light hubs – I'm using them in conjunction with 717's and DT Comps and the set comes in at 1650g – could obviously go lighter using Stans rims but I wanted silver rims…

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but how are the A2Z hubs doing? Thinking of building a set onto some Podium rims for a nice cheap set of light race wheels, a lot of people seem to report freehub issues, whilst others say they’ve been sorted.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best light weight wheels’ is closed to new replies.