Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Big Scotch Mountains
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We did some pretty meaty trails over the weekend.

The Devil's staircase is an excellent trail- even at the end of the 20 mile loop we did (along the West Highland Way, up DS, down DS, along to blackwater dam, down Ciaran, up the DS then back down and home). Rocky but fast, open, flowy with tech sections you can just batter through.

The Ciaran path was trail of the year in MBR and it was OK but not my cup of tea- I prefer something steeper but there were some cool really tech bits.

We did Ben Nevis the following day- this is a staggering technical challenge. Really tough. You could steam roller a lot on a DH bike but on the Norco it was seriously tough. Not completely rideable, but about 80-90%.

Here's some pictures. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lleebb76/Glencoe#

DavidM
    Free Member

Niiiiiiiiiice. Not much more to say really…

doug_basqueMTB.com

Did the corner in the last photo go? Looks tricky!

Nice photos!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Yeah, it was fine. You had to launch off the side over a drainage ditch.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Ahh, like sort of straight on towards us? It looked like it was a 90 degree turn to the riders right…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The trail goes off to the right and so does the rider.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice pics 🙂

Like the third one especially.

jimmy

Like the third one especially.

me too. where's that?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

That's on the Ciaran path. That was one of the cool bits.

It's a good trail, just not my cup of tea.

duir
    Free Member

Mountain Bikers.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Looks good. I'm coming with you next time.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Did exactly that route last year. Thought the Ciaran path was horrible. Short, steep rubble bits followed by uphill sections. The good bits definitely do not make up for the bad bits, and the haul back up from Kinlochleven late in the day is a pig.

Give us a shout if you're going to do any more biggies and you can handle a reasonably competent hanger-on

brucethesprucegoose
    Free Member

DANG! I'd like to say I wish I handn't gone skiing (IN MAY) and had come with you instead, but that would be a lie, definately coming with you next time though. I looks wicked cool.

Woody
    Free Member

Fantastic stuff.

This one is my favourite – total concentration and naturally gnarly 🙂

kevin1911

very nice indeed. That Ciaran path bit looks very steep. Camera's usually make it look less steep than it is, but that still looks proper steep.

And that 90 degree turn looks like a classic over-the-bars material. At least for me 🙂

Where was the fifth shot taken?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The third photo was nigh on vertical.

I think to make the most of the Ciaran you definitely have to do it as a loop with the devil's staircase. I love technical stuff, but prefer it steeper than the Ciaran.

There were so many over the bars opportunities on ben nevis (which is where the 5th shot was taken). I think I only went over once though. I think my brain ached at the bottom from concentration- it was seriously hard work, a superb trail.

Rosie- me and Huw decided you have to come on more trips as captain or bad things might happen to you.

Sam- you should do DS. It's made for a good bit of hardtail ragging.

Scotland's a great place to live!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Nice.

Third photo is a cracker – steep corner that with a bit of a penalty clause if you **** it up…

There's an alternative descent from the dam which follows the pipeline towards Loch Eilde Mor then drops very steeply down to join the bottom (fast) bit of the CP. Well worth seeking out.

markyboy
    Free Member

was up that neck of the woods last week.pic from top of devils staircase.
    NICE downhill from here!!

tandemwarriors

It's made for a good bit of hardtail ragging.

Aye, I was up there a few weeks ago on my P7 doing the same route. Was almost keeping up with the guys on 5's & Zesty's, which meant it got very exciting when it funneled into that section in the 3rd photo! Had I been going slower I'd probably have stopped and wimped out, but as I couldn't stop I had to ride it, and it goes ok. Even went back up another run for photos, then you realise how steep it is when you try and carry your bike back up!

How did you do at the section with the catch netting? Took 3 goes to clean that bit. Took much longer to clean my shorts 😳

Rob

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Wow looks nice. I'm going to do Ben Lomond this summer. Anyone done it?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Tandem- hit it out to the right, hit it a bit faster than you'd think and it'll work out. I'll admit to trying it once and hitting it wrong then having to have another go. The MBR line is to the far left off the steep drop. It's harder but much shorter.

Giant- yup, two weeks ago. We're having a big run of massive chunky techy trails. A really great trail- probably my 2nd favourite this year after Carn Ban Mor which is a total must do. It's my favourite trail of all time, despite doing it in some of the worst rain I've ridden in. Best ridden straight up then straight back down.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ben-lomond

markgraylish
    Free Member

EPIC FAIL…sorry, the Dougie Lampkin look (goggles and open-face helmet) just doesn't do it for me :mrgreen:

😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's not so much what it looks like as it being pretty practical- no gurt big full facer to lug around but perfect vision on these long eye watering DHs.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Brilliant! Those pics are really inspiring me to get out and ride something decent. Roll on the June border raid.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Good work 😛

tandemwarriors

The MBR line is to the far left off the steep drop. It's harder but much shorter

aye, looked at that line in the mag when we got back. Wouldn't fancy it myself, agree shorter but harder (ie more likely to die!) We first rolled the big step on the LHS, then cut to the RHS for the next step, then down the middle just to the right of the sticky up rock. We survived so must have been a reasonable line!
    This is making me want to go back this weekend!

Rob

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Big Scotch Mountains’ is closed to new replies.