Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike + Kid(s) + Trailer + Camping (no car) any done this??
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

So all this bivvy talk over in the other post got me thinking…
    What fun could be had, setting of with child, tent and supplies for a short break camping (in a camp site) but having everything on the bike and not take the car.

Has anyone done this (I am sure they have).

Pictures, experiences, do’s, don’ts and funny stories please…

rudedog
    Free Member

how old is the kid?

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m going to take my eldest for his birthday wild camping, trailer et al.
    Hammock.
    Collecting water from a stream.
    Shitting with the bears.
    I’m going to love it, don’t know about him though.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

She’ll be 2 next month, she has already been camping and loves the bike trailer so no issues there.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There was an article in Adventure cycling mag last year about a bloke that takes his two kids. Tandem and trailer out into the mountains. You might find the article on the Adventure Cycling website … I think it was called something like, 24 hour adventures.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I think I’ve read that somewhere else, remember the tandem and kids – possibly one of the other MTB mags – hmmm I’ll have a dig around….

Thanks

aracer
    Free Member

Took mine age 2 in the kiddy trailer. Kit on panniers and in the trailer “boot” – including his Rothan strapped on the back. Only went 10 miles down the road to a campsite at a pub – not only avoiding the need for cooking stuff, I could also get a beer. Not convinced by the idea of wild camping at that age! He loved it.

Went again last year with him on the bike seat age 3, kit just in panniers and on the rack (no bike for him this time).

Surprising how little you need. Will be easier this year as we’ll be on the tandem – at least first trip, his younger brother will be 2 this year, so would be nice to take them both, but that means a larger tent amongst other things!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think one of Josie Dew’s books features her touring with her child.

There was also a letter in the camping club magazine from a retired couple about them touring on a tandem with a baby in a trailer when they were first married. They “only” managed 40 miles a day due to nappy and feed stop apparently.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

There was an article in ST mag a couple of issues back about this. Admittedly in the US rather than here, but some good tips, although admittedly the bit about avoiding bears may not be relevant.

Would be interested in how you get on, I’ve got vague ideas about doing something similar with our little one this summer – out and back ride on Dartmoor with an overnight camp somewhere nice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike + Kid(s) + Trailer + Camping (no car) any done this??’ is closed to new replies.