Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Bike to work scheme abuse – I got caught
  • dangriff
    Free Member

Tried to buy my 2 yr old son a Giant Animator 12″ on the firm’s cyclescheme and got busted (questioned my need for stabilisers).

Am I in the poo now, or is this the sort of fair game abuse that just gets passed off?

duntmatter
    Free Member

They’ll put him in prison.

MTT
    Free Member

dangriff
    Free Member

I need to find a cheap one-way flight to Mexico!

Rockplough
    Free Member

I don’t think Mexico’s the place to be right now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tell em you have a trailgator arm and you need to ride with your son to school before going to work ?

dangriff
    Free Member

trail-rat, that was going to be my excuse. Seriously, HR are going to call me in for ‘a chat’ this afternoon.

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

just tell them you can’t ride a bike and thought this was the perfect opportunity to learn.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tell them it is a new niche andyou are so hardcore that you have done singlespeed, utility, fixie unicycle and this is the final piece in the jigsaw for the fleet.

Longarmedmonkey

Tell them your its not your fault if your son’s school does not have a ‘bike to school’ scheme.

edit – or nursery for that matter

Keva
    Free Member

< laughs that he tries to get the stabilisers through >
    < laughs again that he wants to go to Mexico >

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Depnds what your company policy is. And whether they like you or not!

The ‘chat’ might be a frightener, but if they’ve gone to the bother to speak to you I’d expect at least a slapped wrist.

coffeeking
    Free Member

fixie unicycle

I suspect non-fixie unicycle would be more of a niche, imagine the masochism involved in doing that!

I’d also question a 12″ bike for a 2 year old.

sam42
    Free Member

just ride it to work, ride right into your meeting with HR and say what?

dangriff
    Free Member

Just got out. HR girl found it all very funny that she has to spend the whole afternoon calling in cyclescheme abusers over their purchases. It seems I’m not alone.

‘What would someone want an £800 pair of wheels for without the rest of the bike?’ was one comment.

VanHalen

{simpsons mode} haaa ha! {simpsons}

dangriff
    Free Member

coffeeking, he’s three next month – vat/tax/NI free birthday present!

porterclough
    Free Member

If it was the revenue who wanted a chat you might want to worry. If it’s your HR department they’ll just say “please don’t do that” won’t they?

twinklydave

don’t you only have to ride in a couple of times on it for everything to be ok?

if so:

is the way forward

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

hope they see the funny side of it…

not really what the scheme is there for though really 😉

dangriff
    Free Member

I haven’t got the bike, I just tried to order it.

Basically, they just strongly said ‘No, you can’t have it’.

twinklydave, if I want a go on his bike, he’ll want a go on mine!

samuri
    Free Member

I did that but Halfords busted me, not my company.

avdave2

But you haven’t actually done anything wrong you just tried to and failed.
    What worries me is that you actually thought you might get away with it. I think you’ll find HR are calling you in because they cannot actually believe they employed you in the first place and just want to find out who exactly did give you a job :-). Of course you should have charged your son’s bike to your second home allowance which would have been fine.

aP
    Free Member

If someone working for me did it they would probably find themselves getting a written warning.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but if you’re dumb enough to try and get stabilisers and a kids bike, you deserve all you get.

Please tell me this is a wind up?

mossmaned
    Free Member

“12 inch -no I meant 21 inch”

porterclough
    Free Member

aP – why? Because you’d worry about the revenue poking their nose in?

As far as I can tell the only issue is the bit in IR176 about being mostly used for travel to work (which is of course unprovable). The computers scheme had no such caveats as far as I can remember and so people were claiming for any old computer equipment, GPS units, PDAs, etc.

A tax dodge is a tax dodge, you claim for what you can. At least these dodges give something back to regular people unlike, say, the capital gains allowance.

duckman

And how tight are you?

theflatboy
    Free Member

porterclough – Member

aP – why? Because you’d worry about the revenue poking their nose in?

that’s a pretty good reason, i’d say – implicating your company if they don’t pick up on it…

miketually
    Free Member

If you bought his 3rd birthday pressie on the scheme, and rode it part-way to work once before hiding it in the loft for the next 11 months, you’d be fulfilling all the criteria of the scheme…

Surfr
    Free Member

Miketually I don’t think that fits the 50% criteria does it?

Do I have to use the bike for work?

You can use the bike however you like; a bike purchased under Cyclescheme should be used for work journeys at least 50% of the time. You don’t have to cycle to work for a specified number of days throughout the year and you don’t have to record your trips or mileage. You may not claim expenses for business trips made using the bike.

porterclough
    Free Member

Sufr – read it again – fits the criteria exactly.

Besides which, who would know or care how many times he used it “for leisure”.

miketually
    Free Member

Miketually I don’t think that fits the 50% criteria does it?

It more than fulfils it – 100% of the bike’s use in the lease year was for commuting purposes.

aP
    Free Member

Well, if nothing else, in the current climate it’d put him on the list of four who might be made redundant next month.

porterclough
    Free Member

aP – why?

Given that your company directors will attempt to screw the inland revenue every way they can, why is it so bad when a lowly employee tries to take advantage of one of the few tax breaks open to the regular person?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m a bit conflicted over the bike to work scheme and people who use it creatively.

On the one hand, if it’s abused it could be withdrawn, like the home computer scheme.

On the other hand, if it gets people cycling at all, it will save the government cash, so I don’t have a problem with people who wouldn’t otherwise buy a bike getting one on the scheme, even if they don’t use it to ride to work.

I have a bike bought under the scheme, which will only be used for commuting, shopping, etc. But, I’d have been riding to work anyway, so there isn’t a benefit to society from me getting the bike.

Also, the 50% rule is a bit silly. If I bought a road bike on the scheme and rode it to work every single day, it’d do about 1000 miles in a year for commuting, which could easily be outstripped by leisure rides.

Farticus

Damn.

I’m about to try to get my son a trials bike on the scheme… second thoughts, I like the wheels idea so just need to find a helpful shop.

aP
    Free Member

I am one of the company directors, and I’ve put a lot of money where my mouth is to keep 40 other people in work, it comes out of my cashflow as we have to stump up the money to the bike shop, and at the moment unnecessary expenditure isn’t very helpful.
    There’s always another side to the coin, mate.

alpin
    Free Member

what about the self-employed?

they get jack diddly squat. i would have loved this scheme were i still in the UK and available to me.

and what’s this home computers thing about?

seems like a lot of freebies to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

home computer scheme was abused by the retailers … upping the retail price so they didnt loose out to the scheme ….price fixing if you will as computer RRP is ever changing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Bike to work scheme abuse – I got caught’ is closed to new replies.