Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Bikes and cars… German v. Swedish
  • willard

The hunt for a new car continues, but I have lost my main sounding board (i.e. my wife) due to unforseen circumstances (she is so sick of me talking about what car I should get she’s told me to never speak to her of the subject again). So, I thought I would run the latest list of choices past a load of random people on the internet, i.e. you lot.

Currently I am considering the VW Passat, Audi A4 and Volvo V50 (as they are the biggest, newish estate cars I can find locally). I know the Passat will be good, but the ones I have seen so far are either old/high Miles, or nearly new and have a price tag that makes the inner Scrooge weep. Same with the A4. Oddly, the Volvos seem to be reasonable.

With a budget of 5k (give or take) I need to choose wisely. Should I even be considering the Volvo?

nickf
    Free Member

Don’t get a V50, go for a V70 instead. Higher miles and older, but they really do run forever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The V50 and A4 boots aren’t that great, IMO.

If you want big, you need to be looking at either a V70 or a Ford Mondeo. Mahooosive boots in both. For 5k, you could get a tidy version of either. Don’t be afraid of a high milage car, as long as it’s had proper TLC during the miles.

5lab

yeah if you want a big estate for 5k, you can’t go far wrong with a mondeo. You’ll get much more for your money than any of the premium\snobby brands (ie the ones you listed) which hold their value better than the mainstream.

Other options would be the vectra and the octavia, but both are a bit smaller than a mondeo. an omega would also tick the boxes pretty well, but are getting a bit old now

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A4 boots aren’t that great

I can testify to that (yeah, cockweasel trail-centre-using **** Audi etc). It’s adequate but not mahoosive – nothing to a Mondeo.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m looking for something very similar to the OP too

past a garage last night on my ride home which had a Laguna 1.9TDI estate

anybody got any comments on them as an option also?
    saw a 307 estate too but it made me want to poke sticks into my eyes so that’s out for me already the Laguna looks ok though

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Mondeo all day long…. Or a Toyota Avensis, there are some highly equipped bargains out there for £5K. My 09 plater has 90K on clock and with sat nav, leather, panoramic roof etc is going to make someone a cracking used car in 12 months time, only ever needed servicing so far. I’ve had 5 blokes with two bikes on roof and three on tow bar rack and it still pulled well with a (in comparison to zee german marques) 128bhp, always does 40mpg and low Co2. You may not get a modern example but the older ones still run on and on and on

lunge

Laguna as in Renault? Avoid unless your an auto electrician with a lot of time on your hands.

Bunnyhop

We’ve had this debate in the bunnyhop household for the last few weeks and have plumped for the V50.
    I felt parking the mondeo estate wouldn’t be easy in the teeny weeny spaces that most company carparks seem to have nowadays.

willard

Bunnyhop, how are you getting on with the V50? The look is growing on me, and the one that I am looking at tonight seems pretty tidy.

In normal circumstances, I would go for something BIG, but my wife will have to drive it sometimes, and she does not really like BIG cars. She hates my 4×4.

Marge
    Free Member

I had a Volvo V50 (2.0 diesel) for >100k miles and was really pleased with it.
    My lady it liked it so much she purchased a C30 after the V50 was replaced.
    It is small though (think Focus rather than Mondeo) and the boot size is not great.
    The Mondeo is a surprisngly good car though (when new). Well equipped, pleasant to drive & huge boot.
    Unless I really needed the extra space I would still take the Volvo every time…

Bunnyhop

Willard – as its going to be our only family car, we had to take ‘me’ (I’m small) into consideration.
    Also the tax was a lot lower for the V50 then the petrol Mondeo, we don’t need a diesel.
    We aren’t picking it up until the weekend, so can’t give you any more information.
    Having had big cars before, I personally like the slightly smaller size of the V50. It will fit in our bikes and gear, yet it’s o.k to bob around town in.

Only problem is…… can we fit the tandem in?

5lab

Only problem is…… can we fit the tandem in?

I’d bet no, the load space isn’t very long, even with the back seats folded.

its interesting that people have a view of some cars being big and others small. The view on here of the v50 vs the mondeo is common (small vs big) – but theres only 6% difference in length

ransos
    Free Member

The V50 is based on the Focus estate chassis and it has the same size boot. The V50 is nicely finished, but you’ll get a lot more Focus for the same money – the trouble is finding one that isn’t a thrashed ex-pool car. I gave up and bought a C-max instead.

Bunnyhop

but theres only 6% difference in length

Yep, that’s why we chose it.

Have had a 1ltr. VW polo in the past. Used it to go camping, with 2 bikes and 2 adults, that was a laugh.

Getting volvo now – gone all grown up. Shall I buy a flat cap for mr. BH?

santacoops
    Free Member

C-class. Fits wife, child, baby, dog, bikes and paraphernalia thats needed to camp for a weekend along with the obligatory selection of ciders chilling in the glove compartment. Not far off a van with windows except it does 40+ mpg. Oh and its pretty quick.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I had a V50 T5 it was a very good car indeed. Not the biggest but big enough, well equipped and the most comfortable seats I’ve been in.

I’d go for a diesel V50 if you can find a nice one as mine was thirsty but enjoyable.

willard

Well, after a trip out to Bedford to have a drive in a v50 (felt wrong) and another drive in a new shape Passat (interior and exterior fscked) I went local and spunked 3k on a surprisingly tidy older shape Passat.

For an 03 with 120k on the clock, it feels tight, has a lot of go and just fit me and feels right to sit in. Lots of space, recent service, new cambelt, CD changer (meh) and A/C. It also has 4 (counted them, FOUR!) 12v sockets around it, so I will never be short of power.

I get it tonight. I’m a happy man.

oddjob
    Free Member

Mazda 6 is based on the same running gear as the mondeo but doens’t have quite the same rep-mobile image.

Very happy with our 2005 model 2.3 sport thingy

Omegas use a lot of fuel

molgrips
    Free Member

Willard, good call – those moderate mileage older Mondys, Passats and the like are great value.

willard

Agreed.

However, all the happy felings are going away. Am now on the phone to the thieving swine at the insurance companies. Someone quoted me over 500 notes for fully comp. £500!! Even the people that insure my home can’t do lower than 470!

I mean, I’m old enough to be sensible, have never had a crash, never claimed, hold a decent job and am generally responsible. Why the FSCK are these buggers trying to fleece me? Is it because I am middle class?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s about what I pay.

willard

Really?

I must be spoiled then. My Frontera was cheaper than that by a long chalk. Even my current company (Elephant) want another 70-odd quid for the rest of the year.

I don’t even think I paid that much for my Mk2 Golf Gti when I lived in Watford.

br
    Free Member

Insurance has gone up for all, my 535i went up 20% this year – and cheapest quote.

palmer77
    Free Member

I have a SAAB 9-5 Aero estate for sale if any of you are interested. 2.3 turbo, petrol, manual, full service history, cam belt done at 90k, currently 128k on the clock. Silver, leather interior and loads of space! Really cool and comfy car 🙂

[/url] PB080006 by sastrugi1977, on Flickr[/img]

singletrackmind

Cam belt ? My Saab 2.3T was duplex chain . GM power plant?

palmer77
    Free Member

Chain/Belt Saabtech in Stevenage did it anyway 🙂

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for 9-5 estate. Great cars and not expensive. I was going to suggest one to OP but didn’t feel I could as I work for them and not on here in professional capacity.

Had a 2.3 Aero and it was a great car. Bomb proof, went like stink, and quite stealthy…

matthewjb
    Free Member

Someone quoted me over 500 notes for fully comp

My 02 plate Passat costs around £400 to insure. I generally get a few quotes from Confused and then get my current insurer to match them or get close.

Nice cars. Great on a long trip.

maccruiskeen

However, all the happy felings are going away. Am now on the phone to the thieving swine at the insurance companies. Someone quoted me over 500 notes for fully comp. £500!! Even the people that insure my home can’t do lower than 470!

Difficult to crash your house into a bus queue 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve had German (320d Tourer) & I’ve had Swedish (9-3TiD Sportwagon).

The Saab had a bigger boot and leather seats, satnav, bluetooth and a cambelt engine – which would have cost over £600 to have the cambelt changed if I’d kept it. Wish I had £1200 to spend on a service, as it needed 4 new tyres as well 🙁 And it had started getting ‘lumpy’ around 2000rpm
    The BMW was nicer to drive, more reliable and had a chain-cam engine.
    The BMW parts cost more, and the car cost more to buy in the first place but seemed to be pretty bomb-proof.
    The Saab was more comfortable & I could get more drum gear in it. MPG was roughly the same

I think I’d like a 520d next, with leather seats & stuff. but I don’t have 520d money, so I’ll probably settle for a Mondeo estate

palmer77
    Free Member

Changing it soon for a 9-3 Saloon as I don’t need so much space anymore. It can be yours for the right price 🙂

willard

I’d taken a 9-3 estate for a spin last week as it happens. Nice car to look at, pokey, handled very well, but it just seemed dated inside and the boot was a lot smaller than I had originally though. Also, with me in the front, there would be no chance of fitting anyone else in the back. I need the seat pretty much all the way back you see.

If I didn’t have two dogs, I’d have been tempted…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Bikes and cars… German v. Swedish’ is closed to new replies.