• This topic has 65 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Goz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • biketreks ambleside. Very poor service!
  • ssss
    Free Member

Anyone had a poor ‘service’ experience in Biketreks Ambleside? Very expensive, just tried to charge me £2.50 for for road gear inner. At the same time the manager tried to flog me off with a ‘break’ wire cap for a gear inner, and amazingly (to my astonishment) he also tried to flog me off with a spoke head to use as a inner gear wire cap!!!

brant
    Free Member

Very expensive, just tried to charge me £2.50 for for road gear inner.

Seems not unreasonable price. What were you used to paying? When and where?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Ooh yes, that’s terrible. I mean £2.50 for a gear inner wire? That’s about 50p less than TWO of CRC’s own brand and about 40% cheaper than a Clarkes one?

Where’s the problem? Funny thing to put up as your first post – they must really have wound you up? I’d heard from riding buddies and customers of theirs (though I have no 1st hand experience) that they were a pretty good joint up there?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Shimano STI Stainless Inner Gear Cable 1.2mm- RRP is £2.69 so fail to see the huge overcharge?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

gonetothehills – Member

Ooh yes, that’s terrible. I mean £2.50 for a gear inner wire? That’s about 50p less than CRC’s own brand

Apart from the fact that £2.99 is for 2 on CRC 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Bought my bike from there and always had really good service from them.

£2.50 is only 50p more than the cheapest gear inners on CRC. Hardly seems unreasonable.

Granted on most things they are not as cheap as big online retailers, but what LBS is?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Apart from the fact that £2.99 is for 2 on CRC [;)]

LOL – I was editing mine as you put that up there! Not sure what the OP’s problem is to be honest? 🙄

andywhit
    Free Member

flog me off ?

sounds a bit pervy.

grumm
    Free Member

So bad you felt the need to post it twice?

fbk
    Free Member

Never been back after someone tried to sell me a Nomad that had “about 4 inches of travel”. Pet hate of mine that – people trying to sell (quality) stuff who clearly know nothing about it.

I think I caught them on a bad day!

djglover
    Free Member

OP sounds like the kind of customer biketreks can do without.

Low spend and then spouts crap on the web doesn’t really help your business.

I wonder if someone will invent a sensor based on anti shoplifting device working in reverse to expel this kind or retard from a shop and save us all from this rather silly bother.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed the comment on spelling

ssss – Member

Anyone had a poor ‘service’ experience in Biketreks Ambleside? Very expensive, just tried to charge me £2.50 for for road gear inner. At the same time the manager tried to flog me off with a ‘break’ wire cap for a gear inner, and amazingly (to my astonishment) he also tried to flog me off with a spoke head to use as a inner gear wire cap!!!

in what I had assumed was a spoken conversation? But I appreciate the sensitivity of not using the word nipple and substituting spoke head.
    Damn, said it myself!

Shack
    Free Member

Fair price, Its a one shop operation, no way they can match internet prices. Always found them helpful, some of the younger staff can be a bit over enthusiastic but I’m a miserable old git, so thats probably just me resenting their youthfulness.

mt
    Free Member

A roady complains about a few pence, hmmm. Should imagine that Biketrecks owe him their living. Great shop, so it’s a bit pricey at times, big suprise for Ambleside.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess you needed the cable that day for your ride. You got the cable at what is a reasonable price if not dead cheap. You were offered two different ways of capping the cable even tho they did not have the correct thing in stock. Sounds like fair service to me

I suggest you get a life

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Biketreks is a good shop as several people have said for a LBS its not at all expensive.

I once went to Ambleside for a winter ride only problem my chain was hanging up in the shed back home. Went in to Biketreks and they sorted me out quickly and got me on the trail. Though they did royally take the piss out of me I could hear them still laughing as I rode across the bridge 😳

Phil_H

A cable end cap is a cable end cap, It’ll work with a brake cable or a gear cable.

thumbie
    Free Member

Top shop IMHO…..not exactly LBS in terms of distance, but have used them numerous times……recommended!

Skippy

You seem to have joined his forum just to tell us all about the service at biketreks, seems a bit strange. The wheels they built for me are excellent as was the service and and general help in the shop.

nasher
    Free Member

Moaning over a £2.50 road gear inner!!

Yes you are definately a roadie.

STATO
    Free Member

people use cable end caps? i never bother anymore as they either fall off straight away or crush the cable anyway, making it fray when you remove it so you cant reuse the cable.

duir
    Free Member

Aren’t all bike shops the same? Bitter old managers and ignorant young kids trying to sell you over priced gear you can buy much more cheaply on the internet? Shame really, I can remember MTB before the internet was invented where a trip to the local decent bike shop was exciting and filled with knowledgeable shop staff, shiny things and bikes you could aspire to afford. What’s more they were sociable places where they knew your first name, made you a cuppa and sneakily got you to buy stuff.

Happy days…………

rickmeister

Biketreks must have done quite a lot right, won an award or two. Good team there, good advice and Keith makes a top cuppa….

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Aren’t all bike shop customers the same? Bitter old roadies and ignorant young kids on DH bikes trying to screw you over the price of gear they will go and buy on the internet having picked your brains for 3hrs then expect you to fit / warranty for free? Shame really, I can remember MTB before the internet was invented where a customer of a decent bike shop was polite, non-agressive, liked looking at shiny things and bikes they could aspire to afford. What’s more they were sociable places where they knew your first name and didn’t treat you like dirt, brought you doughnuts when you helped them out beyond what is expected and thanked you for the cuppa you just made them

Happy days…………

Sorry a very busy day in the shop, made worse by agressive customers and down right rude people…they would make the Dalai Lama punch them!

SSP

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the local decent bike shop was exciting and filled with knowledgeable shop staff, shiny things and bikes you could aspire to afford. What’s more they were sociable places where they knew your first name, made you a cuppa and sneakily got you to buy stuff.

My LBS is still like that

ronjeremy
    Free Member

congratulations!! most pointless rant ever, however, has made for an enjoyable and entertaining read,

i just can’t believe that they didn’t give it to you for free and clean and service your bike for free, whilst they were there,

oh and throw in tea and biccies whilst you were waiting

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

I call into Bike Treks a lot,I think they pride themselves on exellent customer service, and I can only say Andy and “the staff” are always keen to help people out where they can,and Keith makes an awesome coffee!

At the end of the day they are there to run a buisness not a bargain basement bike shop ffs! I think there pricing is reasonable considering there location,and they often have great deals on kit competing with online pricing at times. The rates on a shop like that must be HUUDge,I think were very lucky to have such a proffesional,well setout shopee in the Lakes that Illustrates mountainbiking in such a nice way.

Biketreks sets the standard…..Others follow behind!

ducks behind kmb flag!… Max will never forgive me! 😥

druidh
    Free Member

Whatever happened to that girl who was trying to blag a freebie off Alpine Bikes in Edinburgh because she had no money on her and she had come 12th in some XC event or other? That was a classic thread.

geoffj

TJ – name and shame. Who do you use in Edinburgh. Tell me its not that place half way up Leith Walk?

desf
    Free Member

Druidh – That was a classic. I seem to remember it was the Alpine Bikes shop in Tiso’s in Inverness.

simondbarnes

What a piss poor rant! As others have said £2.50 for a gear inner is a perfectly reasonable price (and less than Shimano rrp) and any old bit of soft metal with a hole in one end will function perfectly well as a cable end cap.

Oh and I’ve just noticed that you appear to have registered to this forum just to post this rant. LOL!

oink1
    Free Member

OP seems to have ‘Wound his neck in’! :op

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

SFB, I am sure Biketreks will suffer from such BAD publicity lol 😉

the_lecht_rocks

biketreks – never the same since andy left his farm shed in greenodd (sp?) !

Oxboy
    Free Member

£2.50?! £2f’in50! You wasted my time reading your thread for £2.50!!!!!
    If the bike shop owner made all of that as profit he wouldnt be leaping for joy.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m amazed anyone bothered responding.
    (yeah, I know I just did as well)
    😕

elaineanne
    Free Member

well i,ll post as well seen as tho ive had a bit of a rant on ere today !
    will i be the last to post on this pointless thread ? lol

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, Bike treks sorted my Mrs out lovely with a new saddle – we were in there for ages trying stuff out (on a few bikes no less) and they even stayed after closing time for us. Top.

If anyone from biketreks is reading, the saddle’s been brilliant – way better than any of the others.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’ve come back from a curry and looked at this s*dding thread again.

OP – come back, keep ranting, we need you…

Maybe we should have a new thread – what CAN you get for £2.50 these days that you’re actually happy about?

hora
    Free Member

Didn’t Razzle used to be £2.50?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘biketreks ambleside. Very poor service!’ is closed to new replies.