• This topic has 95 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by AntM.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Blairadam Trails after SUS mtb champs
  • Dougal
    Free Member

The last picture shows a piece of ground that the race didn’t use. Went up the forestry road to the left of that.

Most of the rest (barring the bombhole-steps section) looks like typical Blairadam, in that it would be nice that it got a little hardcore as part of the race preparation/teardown.

Come on Luke, stop dicking about with your dissertation and sort this out. If you couldn’t finish the job you shouldn’t have started.

tiberius
    Free Member

Fair enough re the last picture.

I’d love it if Luke stopped dicking about with his dissertation and sorted things out, but I’m beginning to think we won’t see him around these parts for a wee while.

Dougal
    Free Member

There is the option to take this further…

Luke and the St Andrews University Cycling Club were organising the event on behalf of Scottish University Sports. I’m sure they’d be interested to hear about the poor legacy that has been left at the event location. http://www.susport.org.uk/

The St Andrews Sports Union might also like to hear about how one of their member clubs is bringing their name into disrepute. http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/au/

I’ll just leave those there.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Has anyone actually emailed the club captain/Luke and actually asked if they’ll fix it rather than just complaining on here?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m curious to know what repairs you would expect a ‘responsible’ race organiser to do if trails were left in that condition?

You hold a race, the trail gets a bit chopped up, what do you do about it? Genuine question.

Cheers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

As I understand it the race was held with the promise to leave the trails as they found them.

The race was held on private Forestry Commission land. As Bike Blairadam no longer exists as an intermediary between riders and the Forestry Commission, I’m not sure who to refer the complaint to. The students say they had received advice from someone in authority to hold the race and determine the route. There should therefore be joint liability between the students and their advisor to reinstate the trails to their pre race condition at their own expense, not using funds raised elsewhere for future trail building projects raised by Bike Blairadam.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Don’t worry, we’ll be going down there. We’re going to get ourselves down there as soon as possible and will do all we can to repair them.

The trails will be back to normal by Easter, however I’m not sure how best to fix them. The club will be going down to dig this week.

tiberius
    Free Member

This is good news. Thanks Munrobiker.

nick1962
    Free Member

Any chance of some recent pics of the trails now the weather has improved to see how they look now?

tiberius
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member
    Any chance of some recent pics of the trails now the weather has improved to see how they look now?

Maybe this weekend or next. Can you not pop up and take some yourself?

Dougal
    Free Member

The club will be going down to dig this week.

When are you going to be there? Can pop along to lend a hand if I’m not racing/training/resting that day.

tiberius
    Free Member

Fortunateson09 – Member

I’m curious to know what repairs you would expect a ‘responsible’ race organiser to do if trails were left in that condition?

You hold a race, the trail gets a bit chopped up, what do you do about it? Genuine question.

Would a ‘responsible’ race organiser have left the trails in they state they are?

The thing is, you need to be proactive, like Bike: Blairadam were and take preventative action before your race. You put type 1 down on sensitive areas to ensure they don’t get too damaged by the increased traffic. You try to ensure it doesn’t happen (or is as limited as possible) in the first place….

As has been touched upon in this thread, you also make some calls on the day on what sections to use and reroute if necessary. Get people riding the course on the day to see what is working, what isn’t and what has the potential to turn out badly. If, for example, there’s a flat section thats wet or waterlogged after some rain, it may be best to avoid it.

You have to have a Plan B in case your first choice course has issues.

This sort of thing is what the student organiser/permit holder should have perhaps done on the day or in the run up to the event.

Then, immediately (or as close to immediately) post event, you repair where you can and make appropriate repairs where possible. Re-lay type 1, dig out and/or fill in ruts that have appeared and so on. If a section is waterlogged and muddy, try to drain it if possible and get rid of the wettest mud. Hell, if need be, set up reroutes around affected sections to allow them to recover.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Tiberius, do you fancy a spin around Blairadam tomorrow evening or late tomorrow afternoon?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Any body know if the students have done any repairs yet?

tiberius
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Tiberius, do you fancy a spin around Blairadam tomorrow evening or late tomorrow afternoon?

Sorry, I can’t. I’m working tomorrow (and then all weekend. 🙁 )

tiberius
    Free Member

jamesy01 – Member
    Any body know if the students have done any repairs yet?

I went to check their website for any news on this but it seems to be down.

http://staucc.co.uk/

jamesy01
    Free Member

Looks like it’s up and running again….for a minute I was thinking they’d done a moonlight flit 😀

teamrider24
    Free Member

So, Munrobiker, did you ever go back?

tiberius
    Free Member

So, Munrobiker, did you ever go back?

Based on what I saw on my last visit I’d say no, but I’m be happy to be proved wrong. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The trails will be back to normal by Easter

Easter 2011?

teamrider24
    Free Member

Dougal – Member
    There is the option to take this further…

Luke and the St Andrews University Cycling Club were organising the event on behalf of Scottish University Sports. I’m sure they’d be interested to hear about the poor legacy that has been left at the event location. http://www.susport.org.uk/

The St Andrews Sports Union might also like to hear about how one of their member clubs is bringing their name into disrepute. http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/au/

I’ll just leave those there.

Time to draft some e-mails?

tiberius
    Free Member

jamesy01 – Member
    Looks like it’s up and running again….for a minute I was thinking they’d done a moonlight flit

Maybe they have.

The “UH OH – the STW massive are on yer backs…” thread on their website has been removed too. ❓

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

imo a lot of the photos you have taken of the trails look fairly pathetic and what i would call i woodland trail anyway, some muddy areas in a pine forest after some rain? flippin heck i would never have guessed!
    I agree there seems to be some post race work needing to be done it sounds like your being a bit pathetic and just looking to have a go at some students because they are students!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Should we make collective complaint to the two bodies above or complain individually? How about a ride up there to discuss it?

teamrider24
    Free Member

anus – Member
    imo a lot of the photos you have taken of the trails look fairly pathetic and what i would call i woodland trail anyway, some muddy areas in a pine forest after some rain? flippin heck i would never have guessed!

I’m sorry that you’ve not been able to read the thread properly (were you busy congratulating yourself on such a well thought out and humourous ID?) or visit the forest to see the damage yourself. I’m assuming that you’re familiar with the forest, yes?

Maybe you could try to do one or both of these before commenting again?

I agree there seems to be some post race work needing to be done it sounds like your being a bit pathetic and just looking to have a go at some students because they are students!

So you agree, but just want to hurl childish insults and contradict yourself? That’s great. thanks for your contribution.

geoffj

Maybe the sponsors would be interested?

tiberius
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Maybe the sponsors would be interested?

I hadn’t thought of that.

mcmoonter – Member

Should we make collective complaint to the two bodies above or complain individually? How about a ride up there to discuss it?

I’d say individually, but that’s just my opinion.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

i read the whole thread through and the more i read the more it seemed you were all over reacting, the photos that you have provided people who do not know the forest personally suggest a trail that is not to distant from a usual forest trail, hence your rants and complaints seem over the top and seemingly pathetic. I agree there needs to be some work done, but nothing to the extent you are all winging about. it seems like because the culprits are students you feel you can have a go even more than usual because students are always in the wrong.

Kit
    Free Member

It’s exam time/end of year deadlines/start of summer projects (at least at Edinburgh Uni), therefore I would give them a little slack until the end of the month.

While I can understand your frustration that nothing has been done yet, nothing will be achieved by putting pressure on them at the moment, and I think contacting sponsors etc. at a time when students simply do not have the time to do anything about it, is not fair (regardless of their perceived attitudes to-date). The Edinburgh Uni club have stopped regular club rides at the moment due to exams, and I imagine St. Andrews will be the same. Wait until June before hassling them again.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Anus

it seems like because the culprits are students you feel you can have a go even more than usual because students are always in the wrong. it seems like because the culprits are students you feel you can have a go even more than usual because students are always in the wrong.

The complaint would be the same if the event had been run by the WI.

Kit, the repairs should have been undertaken immediatly after the event. Students have exams then go off home or elsewhere for the summer. I was a student once too.

From the responses on here and elsewhere, neither the students nor their ‘Blairadam’ contact has taken any meaningful steps to repair the trails to their pre event condition.

I’m drafting a letter as we speak, and I would urge other Blairadam users to consider doing this too. Its a great forest, with challenging trails that is well used by its local community of riders, many of whom have had hand in buildng and maintaining the trails on a voluntary basis.

The event damage was bad enough, but a seasons rain has compounded the initial damage and made it a whole lot worse.

Kit
    Free Member

Kit, the repairs should have been undertaken immediatly after the event.

I agree! And action to-date appears to be piss poor. But any correspondence to the student body at this time will simply be ignored as they have more pressing (yes, can you believe it!) matters.

And to correspond with sponsors at a time when the students are not able to actually do anything strikes me as a wee bit underhand.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Considering that as far as I can tell no one has emailed the club officially to ask them to fix it its not surprising that nothings been done. Complaining to SUS and the sponsors seems very silly when like Kit mentions this time of year there’s no chance of anything getting done and when (afaik) no one has contacted them other than through this forum?

According to someone on mtbfife the trails really arnt all that bad either?

“Yes, the trails were muddy (it’s not Blairadam without mud, after all), but under the surface mud the base of the trail was pretty solid. I came off after a couple of hours with a big grin on my face; I’ll be back very soon.”

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

‘It’s pointless complaining becuase I can’t do anything about it right this minute‘.

What a load of crock. I must try it at work sometime, just for the giggles.

I think the fact peeps havn’t heard anything, means they’re hoping the issue will go away of its own accord. Get it back on the radar for after exams, and get some real committment to fixing stuff up.

Or they could grow some, repeat that they had permission to race there and they don’t think the damage is that bad, if that is what they think. Offer to lend a hand as a gesture of goodwill. That is what I’d probably do, TBH.

rideallday77
    Free Member

With the time you have spent moaning on here, you could have fixed the trails yourselves. Fact.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

McMoonter – I know the chap in real life. I know he has been doing exams and stuff but I suspect you will need to put pressure on both him and the university. email me if you need more details but try to get to him thru the uni first.

geoffj

I think contacting sponsors etc. at a time when students simply do not have the time to do anything about it, is not fair (regardless of their perceived attitudes to-date).

Perhaps, but just perhaps one of the sponsors (maybe a bike shop with a branch in St Andrews) may have enough influence to get something going.

And let’s face it, they may have exams coming up, but they are still likely to be putting in fewer hours than folk with work and family commitments.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And if they are doing finals the only hold the uni might have is to stop them qualifying until the damage is repaired

rideallday77
    Free Member

Just got a text from him; says he has read the thread on STW and is fleeing to Chile.

If you rush to Edinburgh airport, you just might catch him.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Perhaps, but just perhaps one of the sponsors (maybe a bike shop with a branch in St Andrews) may have enough influence to get something going.

And let’s face it, they may have exams coming up, but they are still likely to be putting in fewer hours than folk with work and family commitments.

Can I ask what the whole contacting sponsors will achieve?
    I’d also argue that at the moment most of my uni friends are working 8-11pm (don’t know how they do it) Although I’ve just handed my dissertation in and haven’t slept for 38 hours fun times!

I hope this thread continues for a while it’s becoming a study in over-reaction.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its hardly over reaction. Check the date of the beginning of the thread The St Andrews mtb club held an event on public land and (poorly advised) made a mess of it. They promised to repair it months ago but have so far done nothing.

If I was a Blairadam regular I would have already made formal compliant to the university. I think the people whose work was trashed have been fairly relaxed

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Blairadam Trails after SUS mtb champs’ is closed to new replies.