Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Blocked bridleways. How do I complain and will anything get done ?
  • In the last few days I have found;
    Gate tied with lots of string.
    Field ploughed right up to the hedge.
    No gate at all.
    Gate chained and padlocked with sign missing off post.
    Temporary (21 day) closure notice from 6 months ago.

Is it worth making the effort to find which department deals with these incidents and making a complaint ?
    They're all local to me, so is it Worcestershire County Council or Wyre Forest District Council or do I need to work out which parish they are in and go to the parish council ?
    Can I just give a grid reference or do I need the path number ?
    Will they actually do anything about it from a single complaint ?

wwaswas

contact your local Rights of Way officer.

they will do somethign about it, sometimes surprisingly quickly, at others worryingly slowly. A lot depends ont he landowners reaction I think.

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

contact your local Rights of Way officer.

+1

I did get as satisfactory answer – I have yet to check if its open yet as was going to be "sometime" in june so haven't bothered going that way yet – actually I might go home that way and check 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Local council website>ROW officer.

They can be overworked, so be patient.

I made a complaint to north somerset's team a few months ago. I had a phone call 2 weeks later to give me full details of what's going on with the blocked bridleway in question, the fact the landowner is happy for the alternative route I ended up using to be used by bikes, and a promise that I'd be notified when the alternative route has been inaugerated as a ROW.

Top dollar.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Somerset County Council strimmed-back 400m of BW to make it passable after me and ScienceOfficer complained; within a week. [cheers guys]

The council website has a map with each path section given a code so that you can identify it. Go for it

I can't find any mention of Rights of way on the WFDC website.

http://www.fixmystreet.com/ looks good.
    It seems to be mainly pot holes and pavement obstructions listed round here, but they are getting fixed.
    I'll go back out with a camera and check the exact location and give them a go.

z1ppy
    racing_ralph
    Free Member

i have reported stuff on bridleways on fixmystreet that have been sorted out

keppoch

I was going to recommend this:

http://www.clearthattrail.org.uk/

But it seems as though it is closed now.

keppoch

brassneck

It is County – I've reported a few to Hmapshire, and made some enquiries about restricted by ways, and they've got back to me without fail.

They usually seem pleased someone is interested in their work, and a 'thank you' for their efforts goes a long way.

elliptic
    Free Member

Somerset County Council strimmed-back 400m of BW to make it passable after me and ScienceOfficer complained

Sandford Batch by any chance?

Well done chaps if so 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Could I suggest some caution when reporting? I used to regularly report overgrown bridleways/obstructions but unfortunately this course of action has come back to haunt me.

Several bridleways that were particularly bad have now been made into virtually motorway spur roads with accompanying loss of character. 🙁

My feeling is that if I am able to "trim" a ROW myself, I will rather than entrusting the local Council.

Edit: brassneck – I am referring to Hampshire!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks! 😀

Want to club together for some winter digging too?

Postal drainage could easily benefit from the judicious application of the odd spade and a bit of rock for 10 minutes or so every other ride…

Just given that fixmystreet site a go.
    Anyone who rides the Wyre forest will know about the missing bridge between Cooper's Mill and the Mile Climb
    http://www.fixmystreet.com/report/122995

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Blocked bridleways. How do I complain and will anything get done ?’ is closed to new replies.