Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels – any good?
  • bol

Anyone got them? Do they stand up to a hammering? Never thought about bontrager wheels before, but they look light for a wide rim and I've seen some going for a reasonable price.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not sure what Rhythms came on my Fuel EX9 and they have had minimal hammer, but, if you want to try/already use tubeless with Bontragers rim strips and tyres it was a piece of piss, just like pumping up with a tube, really!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have rhythms and they have been OK for 800 miles but the free hub and bearing have now failed and to be honest I have not ragged them.

There are better out there for the money.

Save a bit more cash and get some Hope Pro 2's

awh
    Free Member

I like mine, my Elites have stood up to ~18 months biking no problem. I've serviced the freehub which was easy. The cones came loose on my Comps after a months riding, again easy to fix. Some people don't like them because of the TLR design – you need to pump tyres up to ~60 psi to get the bead to lock on to the rim, not easy with a tube and mini pump, so go tubeless!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

How do you fix them?

awh
    Free Member

The Comps will come apart with just a pair of spanners, one on either end of the axle. The bearings are loose so will probably start to fall out when the axle is removed. I cleaned the freehub paws and ratchet, greased everything and put it all back together. I found the mannual on the Trek website rather than the Bonty one!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

sweet cheers

bol

Cheers guys.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

awh-can you remember where you found the manual? Have looked high and low and been unable to find one. Got a link?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I was going to ask the same thing. Trek website does not seem to have it.

awh
    Free Member

I'm sure it was there somewhere, all I can find now is
    To adjust wheel bearings
    This procedure requires special tools and training, so should only be done by your Trek dealer.

It isn't that difficult! Have a look at this instead, the bit on Shimano and loose ball bearing types.

DM52
    Free Member

Personally I find them brilliant, some people will claim they have a tiny bit of flex in them however I like to think that enables them to survive the punishment they get. The rear hub for what it is worth started out attached to a bonty race light in 04, when that rim gave up it was laced up with the rhythm, it has yet to receive its first service and still is going strong.

Worth noting the the earlier bonty hubs (certainly my 04's) were made by DT, not too sure about the later stuff.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

awh-cup and cone isn't a problem, I destroy them on a fairly regular basis, it's how to get in in the first place. Do you just lever off the ends to get to the internals?

awh
    Free Member

Front or rear? I've only needed to take a rear apart!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Front obviously 🙂 Don't need to do them yet though, just curious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels – any good?’ is closed to new replies.