• This topic has 198 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • Booooooooooo
  • backhander
    Free Member

Thanks you. No sex required (at the moment)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I ain’t getting no hug from you unless I feel a bit of man love as our waists come closer to one another.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

dd… ooh get you being all presumptious… wanna hug? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only if you can fulfil my expectations Sammie. Nothing serious, just a hint 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ok I’ll make it a bit more amorous especially for you. Don’t tell Tazzy though. He gets real jealous. 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This is getting very strange.

user-removed
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m going to bed and I don’t think this thread is going anywhere other than down. Hence, it’s closed. Mod.

Do yer worst sonny-boys – off to bed too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tazzy can join us. In a three way. HUG I mean 😯

backhander
    Free Member

Ahem…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you too backhander. It can be some kind of human chain. Someone call the Guiness Book of Records. Noone wear skinny jeans, otherwise they’ll never publish the picture.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Charlie wants a hug too. So does backhander. I think I offered bassspine and elfin hugs tonight too. Group hug?

backhander
    Free Member

Umm, I have unsightly large thighs so even “loose fit” (what a joke) jeans are a bit…close. Not skinny, honest. That OK? No semis?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think if we all do a “from behind” hug. You know the one I mean? When you stand behind someone and give him a wee squeeze. Anyone can join in.

On swearing, if you post a YouTube video that’s a bit sweary, does that get you a ban as well?

Pook

hopelessly hypocritical and divisive, it actually reminds me of some kind of Catholic style religion.

+1

just for balance though, here’s some poles dancing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwfmNxvj7g[/video]

EDIT: just seen this on another thread

Sorry, I’m going to bed and I don’t think this thread is going anywhere other than down. Hence, it’s closed. Mod.

So, a thread can’t even contravene any of the rules before it’s closed? There’s something seriously wrong in that moderation system. I may be quoting within a quote but….

They came first for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists…..

I’m speaking up as this is stupid. Mods, calm down will you? This place, within a week has gone from somewhere where a bunch of like minded people had a chat, shot the breeze and pretty much generally followed the rules to somewhere where any thread is fair game for shooting down, the regular, very well behaved posters are questioning the rulings, and everything’s just a bit stalinist.
    Don’t piss off the very people who have put this magazine to #1 in the mountain bikers’ list of magazine choice by treating them like morons. A quiet word will do far more good for this forum than heavy handed edits and deletions.

I’m sorry but I really liked this place until about a week ago, and now i’m finding I just come here to see who else has been told off and for why.

That’s disappointing.

aracer
    Free Member

So, a thread can’t even contravene any of the rules before it’s closed?

A thread that wasn’t going anywhere constructive? I really don’t see what harm has been done to the forum as a whole by closing that particular thread – where it was going was all to predictable, and has been done far too many times already. The mods do have to sleep you know.

Of course, given the mods have gone to bed, feel free to discuss anything you like totally unmoderated now if that makes you feel better. This forum is only post-moderated after all.

zokes
    Free Member

+1 Pook.

And for the mods (and moreover Mark’s and Chipps’ info), the attitude of those seen to be in control of this site may well also put the same customers off buying the magazine…

(Especially as it tends to have uncensored ‘offensive’ words in it from time to time)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guys – get a grip will ya?

Many of us think the clamp down on the casual misogynistic behaviour is perfectly good – its been my biggest irritation on here the acceptance of this laddish behaviour..

crikey – Member
    Get tired of the casual sexism, the casual accepted lechery, the assumption that it ‘doesn’t matter’ it’s ‘only a bit of fun’?

Get tired of the way that women get judged first and foremost on their attractiveness, and only then on any other qualities?

It might be a LAUGH. You might ENJOY it. Hope you’re having FUN.
    But other people might not, and part of being a GROWN UP, part of being a MATURE, RESPONSIBLE ADULT is recognising that, and responding in a SENSIBLE way.

See?

cinnamon_girl – Member

“If you want to look at women with few clothes on and leer at them then I do believe their are sites for that sort of thing.”

“Pole dancing has one connotation in our society, and that’s pretty much the start, middle and end of it, and as I said earlier, given the activity of the mods this week, the timing was at best ill advised, and at worst; clearly baiting…It was only ever going to end one way.”

” It’s not bad to say it, its not bad to look.
    It’s pathetic and juvenile to use the aesthetic and althletic, black and white tastefully filmed excuse when it was ultimately about titillation. Not appropriate for here. “

Thanks to TJ, nickc and crikey for the above. Of course I agree wholeheartedly with them.

It’s beginning to resemble a playground here, a sleazy one though. Some threads can be quite demeaning to women and, yes, I’m well aware that some women demean themselves. I’m not a feminist, I’ve been on this Forum a good few years but this stuff is just so immature.

Women have been reasonably accepted on here and, indeed, we sometimes get asked for our opinions on ‘what bike for the missus’ etc. I feel we add to the general bonhomie and long may it continue.

It has been mentioned that there’s been an increase in female posters. They will surely disappear after all this nonsense. Your loss.

Please … if you want to look at this kind of stuff … go elsewhere.

Thank you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t believe a ban for phil was merited tho – a warning would have done IMO andI do think the clamp down on swearing has gone too far.

However I am not a mod here – I don’t make the rules

donsimon
    Free Member

What would happen if the mods were inundated with reported threads? If everytime you didn’t like a comment you reported it, for example, I’m not sure I’m happy with the fact that TJ is hinting that I’m a misogynist 😉 or that ‘poo’ is a word that I find offensive 😉 or possibly the area I feel strongest, apart from not being invited to the group hug, is that people will freely insult other users when they can’t argue/debate in an adult way and let’s not forget reporting crimes against the English language. 😈 Happy Christmas all!

sc-xc

D’you remember a couple of years ago – I think just after the hack – there was a new mod who closed down/edited so many posts it was untrue. They (presumably) got told to wind their neck in. Have they been given the password again?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just to nail my colours to the mast so to speak. As much as I am in favour of the leery behaviour by some being pegged back a bit, I think all the anti-swearing, bannings, thread deletions and general priggishness by the mods has gone way over the top.

trailmonkey

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Something is motivating it faw shore.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The problem with censorship is we all agree with it – see stoner re this is not a privatechat in the pub so has to have a different threshold set.
    I agreed with the stopping of that off to bed bit as there was an offensive comment re Jordan [IMHO]that I personally found much worse than casual swearing – see some agree with mods some dont which will be the case for any thread.
    The real probelm at the minute is people dont fully undersatnd where the rules lie – I am sure some more bannings and deleted threads will help us see. It does not help that the mag and the site contain words we cant use.
    Overall I agree with moderation as thereis some offensive stuff on here – the casual msyogny does annoy me – yes the female form is attractive[to me] but do we need to do this on here???
    Mat readign this it always amases me that you work in PR you are so bad at your own it staggers belief – your insults are just daft – TJ wants to fit in – odd comment.

the only ones still on here are the painfully self righteous, mind numbingly pious gang that are so hopelessly hypocritical and divisive, it actually reminds me of some kind of Catholic style religion.

your sense of Hyperbole [perhaps you spend so long stretching the truth you cant see it anymore?] always amuses me.

I missed the thread but it seems unlikely to think someoen could post an “educational” pole dancing vid on here , in this climate , with this audience/poster and not predict the ensuing melee.

I also like the fact they let us , politely discuss them /the forum. It is a long way from China and no one praises them when they let threads like this remain /agree with them

Pook

Guys – get a grip will ya?

Many of us think the clamp down on the casual misogynistic behaviour is perfectly good – its been my biggest irritation on here the acceptance of this laddish behaviour..

TJ – I agree with what you’re saying, and broadly this has effectively ‘self moderated’. Kylie, A+A for example have died a death. I think we’re all adult enough to just need a nudge.

jj55

………… and of course the May photograph on the calendar fits perfectly with the new clean image of STW – Thanks STW for this stupid picture….. not!

Pieface

was it only a 2 day ban? if so these reactions are a bit ott imo

Pieface

and what’s an a a thread?

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I dont post too much on here but after scanning the last five pages I’m getting mildy fed up by the PC brigade banging on on again. Its like Mary Whitehouse had sex with China and you are the offspring. ( or am I not allowed to say sex anymore)

You guys really do go over the top. Lighten up a bit. Were not all asexual lumps of meat and little bit of joking from either side of the sexes should be acceptable. I do feel though that certain swear words be filtered and certain subjects should be moderated. Also think that just like the t.v – of you dont like a thread (or program) you are reading then leave the page. What offends you may not offend others. You are not the centre of the universe.

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I do feel though that certain swear words be filtered and certain subjects should be moderated.

So you agree with censorship.

I dont post too much on here

That’s a relief then. And by the way, everytime we do this, we get the “if you don’t like it turn it off” and the “what offends you may not offend others” brigade. And every time, you’re shown the flaws in those arguments.

All you didn’t say was “It’s political correctness gone mad!”

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

free speech. it is true though stuff I dont like or find offensive I dont watch. simple really.

I also said use your common sense – implying to try and keep within certain limits. You are all getting a bit extremist.

at what end does the censorship stop as the goalposts are moved closer together the things that didnt used to offend may become more offensive and then we’ll end up with nowt to talk about.

tis a little bit political correctness gone mad though.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

going by my last post i am offended by punctuation and will now not use it

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

To paraphrase somebody else on here ” Every time somebody says “It’s political correctness gone mad!” I hear ” I am a thwarted bigot””

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m offended by the report post button.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

oh and darcy meant to say – though I dont post much I read it alot.

Generally I post when I feel I can help folks or add to thread. I’d not hit them with childish comments for expressing an opinion.

Quality not quantity. take note. Childish comment man, that did not help your point.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

shroedinger you may need to then understand that not all people operate at the extremes of a scale and question your pre programmed responses. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah but you’re happy to swoop in, trumpets blaring, for your once a month contribution and pronounce us all extremist nutters hell bent on limiting free speech. A cross between China and Mary Whitehouse you said wasn’t it? But it’s somehow wrong for me to say that I’m relieved I don’t have to read your posts that much. WTF?!? Are you trying to limit my free speech? Go on, say it, you know you want to…”I tell you, it’s political correctness…” I’ll let you finish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Christoginger – and you need to realise that to many people casual misogyny and leering is offensive

Mark

Hi everyone.

Ok.. where to start.
    Firstly.. there are no new rules. We are enforcing the same one s we’ve had for 10 years. We have always expected that users of this forum temper their language. This is for a number of reasons. Mainly the majority of users prefer not to have to read offensive language on a public forum. And that’s the point really. What you say on here is published. You may be addressing it to a small group of friends who may not mind the language you use at all but you are also publishing your comments for anyone with internet access to read, and for you to be able to do that we expect you temper your use of launguage.

The free speech argument has been brought up again and I’ll give the same response I have given at many times in the past.. You do not have the right to free speech on this forum. What you say is considered to be published by us and as such we reserve the right to remove anything that we do not think is in the best interest of the site or the people who depend on it for their living.

Now some specifics..

The reason for the bans handed out for swear filter avoidance I have already laid out in the sticky post at the top of the forum. We went through a warning only phase and then entered into a ban phase. This is because the language was getting out of hand the rate of complaints had reached an all time high.

The moderators have all been told to bear the cpntext of any choice language in mind before they step in. As an example.. The word ‘shit’ is mostly allowed and is not included in the swear filter and has not been for many years. However, that does not mean that it won;t be moderated.

‘I woke up this morning feeling shit’, would not normally be removed. However using it to abuse someone else on the forum or off would be.

Certain words are ban on sight. C, Tw, F and all their mispellings or derivatives will and always have been dealt with severely. If you try and evade the swear filter in order to present one of these words in a recognisable form then you will be banned. Again this is nothing new.

If you use them and the swear filter catches them and replaces them with ****** then you will not be banned. That’s nothing new either. You have 15 minutes to edit your posts after you have published them. There really are no excuses.

The pole dancing video had no place on a bike forum primarily but 10 years of experience tells us that there was only one way that thread was going and so it was closed BEFORE it got out of hand. Again this is nothing new and we’ve taken preventative action many times before. If we consider there is a risk that a thread will reduce itself to a mysoginistic or sexist state then we will step in and cull it. Why? because certain forum users can’t be trusted not to fall into that trap.

The videos on the front of the site have now been labelled with warnings about the language they contain. Users now have a choice as to whether to press play or not. These warnings should have been posted at the time of publication but they weren’t. As a result there is now an apology from us posted on those stories. That was a mistake and it shouldn’t have happened.

The rule about negative use of the forum is our catch-all rule that we have in place because we have always intended that the forum be a place for friendly chat about bikes or other issues. There is no room for abuse of other users and we consider the use of language to be a fundamental element to that principal. If this is something that is not the norm on other forums then that’s what differentiates us from those forums.

Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Booooooooooo’ is closed to new replies.