Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Broken Chris King Hub.
  • younggeoff

Washing the bike today and noticed a few loose spokes, on closer inspection the flanges on the rear chris king hub had failed quite drastically, this must have happended whilst the bike was stationary in the garage as didn't notice anything untoward on the commute home on Friday. Anyway's I'll contact evolution imports tomorrow and see what they can do, hub is only 3 years old and they have a 5 year warranty so fingers crossed.

fontmoss
    Free Member

worked with a bike mechanic, same thing happened warranty not honoured-fingers crossed for you though

tails
    Free Member

commute home

Thats a expensive commuting bike!! Good luck with the warranty.

ton

that does not look like it has snapped.
    looks like it has oxidized in some way.

singlespeedstu

I was just thinking what Ton said.

Even the spacer on the end looks like it's corroded.

sheldona
    Free Member

I broke my Pink one a few years back almost like yours but not as bad, it went back to the States 2 weeks later it returned with a new shell and axel. Fingers crossed for you.

ton

or you have a alloy nibbling mouse………………or rat 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

Considering Hope replaced my 3 year old XC (and no longer manufactured) hub when exactly the same thing happened, i'd like to think Chris King would do the same!…given their price and supposedly high quality.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Freddie Star ate my hub

singlespeedstu

Ayatollahofniche – Premier Member

I broke my Pink one

That'll teach you not to rub it so fast when it's cold….

solarider
    Free Member

You might have more luck (although it may take more time) returning it directly to Chris King in the US. Not taking a pop at Evolution Imports. They are one of the best and very understanding with warranties. It's just that to me that looks more like some serious salt damage (not covered) rather than a manufacturing fault (covered), and you might get more of a sympathy/good will gesture replacement directly from the manufacturer rather than the importer.

younggeoff

Yep the roads have been a tad salty of late, the bike is rinsed down after each ride so the salt should've all been washed off. I've had hope hubs go and they were replaced even though I'd had teh hub 8 years.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

serious salt damage (not covered)

😯

You're jesting, right? Firstly the 'salt' can do that to a premium product and second about the warranty.
    Hope cover pretty much anything that breaks IME, within a week, no questions asked…..

solarider
    Free Member

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Neither Chris King or Evolution have yet to turn down the warranty request, so let's just wait and see what happens. Good luck anyway younggeoff.

jedi

good luck with that! 🙂

younggeoff

Just spoken to Mark at Evolution, he said to send the whole hub back, fingers crossed, I'll post the results up here.

glenp
    Free Member

Salt did the same to my mate's XT hub once – looks very much the same.

Conespanner

In my opinion they will either replace no questions asked or say the spokes have been over tensioned and this has caused creep over the years leading to failure once the aluminium has gone passed its elastic state. In which case can you hold the wheel builder responsible?

younggeoff

Wheel's were checked with Park Tensionmeter when built and were spot on, nice even tension on all spokes and slap bang in the middle of the specified range, so don't think it's an over-tensioning problem

james-o
    Free Member

looks very corroded indeed – salt damage??

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

apologies, my metallurgy is rusty (see what I did there) but some aluminium alloys are susceptible to stress corrosion cracking, which is as it sounds-components used in stressed applications in corrosive environments crack along the grain boundaries. Spent two years trying to figure out exactly why for Alcoa in the US as its a problem in aerospace (actually spent most of my time riding the local singletrack but thats a different story…)

Some of the rim eyelet failures I've seen pictures of on here and elsewhere are probably due to SCC.

younggeoff

Just got the hub back, rebuilt in new shell and fully serviced, can't argue with that for service.

ononeorange

Result! Pleased for you.

solarider
    Free Member

Welll done chap! And well done Evolution. That's great service.

sc-xc

Just seen this – the same thing happened to mine – and I got a new one. Good on you!

younggeoff

Ahhhh I don't believe it, I've just found a cracked hub flange on the front hub, these kings must not be able to handle the conditions up north. Oh well another call to evolution tomorrow 🙁

Blurboy
    Free Member

Mine went similar to this, personal import from the USA, under 3 years old, sent it back to Jensen, who returned it to CK and about 3 weeks later a new hub arrived. I had to pay for the wheel rebuild but I guess you can't expect everything.

It's not put me of CK kit though.

younggeoff

Oh well, evolution wouldn't warranty it so contact Chris King in Portland Oregon. Email yesterday saying please send it back and we'll sort it out all you have to pay is to get the hub to us 🙂 so well pleased.

69er
    Free Member

Soooo, King hubs break. I wouldn't bother if I were you. Sending overpriced hubs back to America is just ridiculous!

Surely there are other options …. you know!

Buy the best, buy British! 😀

wwaswas

You'd think CK would be talking to their importer and saying "No, you will fix it under warranty", not asking you to send it back to the manufacturer in the States?

nonk
    Free Member

evolution turn very odd very quickly if you phone about a waranty claim.
    that's my view anyway.

younggeoff

Success – email from teh guys in Oregon, we've stripped the bearings out and put them in a new shell and while we were at it we've put a new axle and axle end cap on as there was a little bit of corrosion. There will be no charge for repair, parts or shipping.

So why wouldn't evolution do the same thing???

Granted I bought this particular hub in the states.

wwaswas

"Granted I bought this particular hub in the states."

well, that woudl explain it then, wouldn't it!

clubber
    Free Member

I might be missing something but why would they have done?

retro83
    Free Member

Granted I bought this particular hub in the states.

😆

younggeoff

Worldwide Warranty 😕 anyway got the hub back today looks absolutely mint, all that's left from the original hub is the lockring and bearings so well worth the postage cost to the US of A.

Many thanks to Chris King in Portland Oregon

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Broken Chris King Hub.’ is closed to new replies.