Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bushes: What's the difference between a 'DU' and 'DX' bushing?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m looking to service my egg beater pedals on the cheap and have worked out the plastic bushing dimensions (10x 12x 10mm).

I even found the bushing online (for 49p!).

I’ve just got to choose between a ‘DX’ bushing and a ‘DU’ one though.. WTF?

There’s no further information on the bearing site about them:

DU bush

DX bush

See?

I’m mystified… help!

kaesae
    Free Member

DX and DP4 material are sintered bronze, the DX also has PTFE, DU is sintered lead.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/dx-bushing.html

The DX bush will last about twice as long as the DU one, then again I’m not an expert so what do I know!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Marvellous info!
    (Crank Bros fanboy)

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers Kaesae.. I’ll be going for the DX’s then!

@ Rob Hinton: Great isn’t it! FYI: the external egg beater bearing dimensions are: 6 X 13 X 5MM do a google / ebay search and you’ll find many options around oh… 89p or so.

Or you can pay £16 for the official egg beater kit.

Job done.

kaesae
    Free Member

£16 for the official egg beater kit ❓

Lead isn’t as tough as Bronze and PTFE or Teflon.

Can you send me all of the details no_eyed_deer

Riders shouldn’t have to pay £16, it’s outrageous!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kaesae, whilst you’re here, the Hope hub bearings I got off you: They say “Japan” on them, don’t they?

Have a look at my thread if you don’t mind:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-should-i-be-annoyed-or-not

🙂

OP – Sorry for the Hijack! 😀

Did anyone ever buy these ?
    Any good ?
    At 45p each I’d take a chance, except that I’m using Ward Industries titanium spindles.
    Is there any risk that the bushes might damage the spindles if I wear through the plastic coating and down to the metal.
    I know that shouldn’t happen, at that price I can replace them every few weeks long before they are worn, but I just wondered.

A bit more searching and I found these at £3.95 each plus £3.50 postage, which makes CBs £13 for a full rebuild kit look a bit more reasonable.

Then I found these from RS for £8.87 for a bag of 8.

Anyone who knows a bit about bushes and bearings want to give an opinion before I buy them ?

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m working with some other riders to source replacement parts for pedals just now. If you want get in touch and we can work together.

Inbred456
    Free Member

DX will last longer but it will wear the shaft of the pedal faster, you dont get something for nothing. DU bushes will need replacing sooner but at that cost it may well be better to replace them than the pedals. Maybe?

kaesae
    Free Member

Those bushes are Igus so polimer as far as I know, they will be fine in pedals, IGUS jsi bushes that are a cream colour don’t work well with aluminium bushes or aluminium materials for that matter.

It looks like I’ve found a source, 8 bushes plus postage is £16.68, that’s about £4.20 to replace the bushes in one pair of pedals.
    What sort of working together did you have in mind ? Have you got a cheaper source for a bulk buy ?

Do those RS bushes look suitable for the job, both for SS and Ti spindles ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bushes: What's the difference between a 'DU' and 'DX' bushing?’ is closed to new replies.