Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Buying a new bike, it's doing my head in….
  • TheDBF
    Free Member

As per my previous topics, I'm in the market for a new bike, my first full uss as it happens, but regardless of what I read, I'm continually put off one bike from another.

First of all I fancied a Trek fuel ex 8, but then thought, maybe a bit over the top for me and the kinda cycling I'll be doing (xc, single track etc) plus at £1750 for an 09 model, a tad expensive for a relative newbie, however, it turns out I can't get an 09 near me as they are all sold out.

So I was then drawn to a Spesh fsr xc pro/elite but again, reading the reports, others kinda slagging them off a bit and should get a stumpy….but again, thinking, I'm paying far too much for a bike of my needs, but now I'm drawn back to the 2010 Trekie @ not £2000 WTF….

HELP

So afterall that, I thought,

RealMan
    Free Member

Orange 5?

chvck
    Free Member

Get hammered and see what turns up on your doorstep during the week

si-wilson
    Free Member

How about an ex demo bike? I have an ex demo Chumba XCL that is for sale for around the same money as the 09Fuel EX8.

Loaded with really nice kit too 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Where in the country are you?

stumpy01

I'm in a similar position, but have whittled it down to 3 – Stumpjumper, Fuel EX8 & Zesty 314.

I think you need to start with a budget. How much can you afford? Inlcuding any other gear that you might need to buy – shock pump, perhaps for starters.

From there make a shortlist, read some reviews and get some rides in. I think that is really important – you should really try & ride the bikes before you buy.

Clem
    Free Member

I too was in this same situation a few weeks ago and looked at the very same bikes you have mentioned, apart from the one I ended up buying. In the end after test riding the Specialized FSR XC, a Stumpjumper Comp and an Enduro Comp I went with the Enduro and have found it to be the most enjoyable bike I have ever ridden. Im quicker up hills and rocky single track than on my old HT, it's of course much much faster down everything and I can ride it all day with ease on long XC rides. It was a toss up between the Enduro and the Stumpy and for me the Enduro felt a more fun and rugged ride but with the suspension tweaked on the stiff side I've found it to still be a very nimble XC bike.

I also got an excellent price on an 09 model as all the 2010 bikes are out now.

Just my two pennies worth if it helps.

ScottTB

If it's light trail/XC you want how about an Anthem X?

It was awarded "What MTB's Bike Of The Year" and the X2 is stonking value for the kit you get on it – and of course it's stupid light too…

To really confuse you Evans have got some cracking end of season deals on Scotts and 'Dales to boot.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Had first ride on my shiny new Fuel EX 9 tonight, £1750 for '09 model. Was in same bother as you but local availability and cracking deal swung it. Am very happy with it, bit of a step up from a Carrera Fury 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Get hammered and see what turns up on your doorstep during the week

+1

Jezwick
    Free Member

If your interested a friend of mine has a 5 month old MINT 2009 EX9 for sale @ £1500 ..

z1ppy

First of all I fancied a Trek fuel ex 8, but then thought, maybe a bit over the top for me and the kinda cycling I'll be doing (xc, single track etc)

Do you really need that much of a bike for your riding or your 1st full susser? As per Scott, I'd recommend something with a little less travel & a bit cheaper for your first foray: Anthem x3 , Trance 2, Boardman FS Comp/Team

Check out these guys for some bargain giants (and others):
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p0

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new bike, it's doing my head in….’ is closed to new replies.